Advice on insurance and mileage limits (1 Viewer)

bazP

Free Member
Aug 8, 2011
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Hymer 534
Exp
I am a newbie
Hi guys - i am a newbie with only last weeks Newark meet under my belt.

Took the same insurance as was held by the guy who owned the Hymer before and that limits me to 7500 miles per year. Would like to go to Merjal but the 3000 odd miles puts me off as it limits what I can do for the rest of the year - is the mileage restriction common? how do you cope

Look forward to meeting you all in the future

Barry

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
7500 miles per year is normally adequate but it wont cost much more for 10000.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
No limit with Safeguard as yet. I did 8,000 miles during the last policy and probably wont exceed that anyway but it's nice not to be limited.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
hi bazp.....i am with a/flux insurance and asked the same question there answer was just ring us if you get near your limit and for a cost will alter your limit over the phone
hope this helps
dave:Smile:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I rang Comfort about mileage restrictions. We currently have unlimited on both the Motorhome and Car.

I was advised that reducing my mileage would make no difference to the amount I am paying as I am Full Time and the age of the vehicles.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Hi guys - i am a newbie with only last weeks Newark meet under my belt.

Took the same insurance as was held by the guy who owned the Hymer before and that limits me to 7500 miles per year. Would like to go to Merjal but the 3000 odd miles puts me off as it limits what I can do for the rest of the year - is the mileage restriction common? how do you cope

Look forward to meeting you all in the future

Barry

Have they asked for you to verify your milometer reading? I only ask because I am limited to 5000 miles per year, but my insurance company have never asked for my milometer reading, so how would they know?

Just a thought!

Norman

OP
OP
B

bazP

Free Member
Aug 8, 2011
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Hymer 534
Exp
I am a newbie
Insurance mileage limits and ferry prices

Thanks foir the help and advice - any suggestions for cheapo ferry prices to Spain?

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
Have they asked for you to verify your milometer reading? I only ask because I am limited to 5000 miles per year, but my insurance company have never asked for my milometer reading, so how would they know?

Just a thought!

Norman

Same as mine, Possible check with DVLA mot records in the event of a claim :Eeek:

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years

Just a thought!

Norman

i am asked every year for mileage reading:Doh:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Just a thought!

Norman

in the event of a claim and you have limited mileage they may ask for proof that you haven't exceeded your limit .. and could check the MOT records if they were suspicious that you were being economical with the truth..

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years

Just a thought!

Norman

Maybe your milage on your last M.O.T would give them a clue

wkdtroll

Free Member
Jul 29, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
VW T5 Conversion
Exp
7 years

Just a thought!

Norman

They impregnate the ink they use for the policy docs with a special tracking compound and this checks your mileage as you go along!!

(only joking!!)

Answer is they don't (technically they could ask for your MOT certificates for one year to the next - but I don't think they are that clever).

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Bet they'd want em if you had an expensive claim though, Sod's law, innit?

OTOH ours hasn't had one yet, plus if you move companies they wouldn't know if the previous covers were restricted mileage or not - and I know they share claims info, but I shouldn't think they'd be able to get hold of your actual proposal form or renewal declaration. (But I don't know that for a fact so don't assume it's Gospel.) Not unless the claim was huge enough and suspect enough so they were going to bring a fraud case and the SFO or somebody got involved.

THEN you'd potentionally be up a gum tree without a paddle .... :ROFLMAO:

Simba

Free Member
May 17, 2010
Basildon, Essex. UK
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
Since 2009-2013

Just a thought!

Norman

My insurance is for 5,000 miles but just phone if it needs to be increased also insurance only commenced after I gave them the mileage of the vehicle (was in the small print)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Just a thought!

Norman
Simple Norman....if they have need to they'll check the recorded mileage on your MOT certificate...and any previous ones as well.

if its too new for an MOT its even easier....new van = 0 miles

2 year old van = 15000 miles

someones telling porkies :Doh::roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back