LIFE MEMBER
Apr 16, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I have 2 95Ah Varta AGM batteries in a Westfalia Columbus. I have a Votronic 250 Digi Duo solar regulator with 200A solar panels. I have a Votronic 1500 Sine Wave Inverter. I have bought a 200Ah underseat battery which KS Energy are going to install, as the AGM's are fading probably due to compressor ridge and diesel heater,

I have bought a Votronic 30 Amp B2B as it is very small and light and matches the other kit. It will be installed for me as my technical skills are nil. I have been looking at how the B2B will be installed and came across the item in the heading. If I understand it correctly, the existing spilt charge relay will need to be disconnected, perhaps in the base of the B pillar. I say that as I hope the Westfalia has a split charge relay not a VSR! Likewise it looks as though either the installer will connect to the D+ or could use the above item which looks more simple. Also if the van is changed the above would be relatively easy to take to the next van.

I would appreciate any views as I may well have missed something or misunderstood anyway!

Attachments

• 3067_e.pdf
    710.9 KB · Views: 41

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If it has a split charge relay this will need to disabled otherwise the cab and leisure batteries will be at the same voltage which defeats the object of the B2B.

My B2B doesn't use a D+ connection, it just senses the voltage and turns on automatically.

However, your MH might be different electrically to mine, for example it might not use a split charge relay and might have a smart alternator. Which I suspect it does as that's what the Simulator thingy is for. Hopefully, your installer will know what to do. :)

OP
OP
D

davidroxburgh

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 16, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks - rightly or wrongly I thought knowledge would be good - although they say it can be a dangerous thing!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
That D+ simulator looks like a good idea, in that it is switched on by engine vibration, not a voltage sensitive circuit. That will stop it turning on when the starter battery is being charged by the solar or EHU, which is what a VSR can do. I've never seen one in action, but Votronic seem to make good stuff so I'd expect it to work as advertised. If there's an existing D+ then of course it's not necessary.

Disabling a split charge relay depends on the details of the installation. Sometimes it is easy, sometimes more difficult. The problem is usually with boxes that have the split charge relay built-in. It can be difficult to disable the relay without disabling some of the other functions.

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
If your system has a Schaudt Electroblock (EBL) which a lot of German vans do, then a 30A Votronic B2B can be wired directly between it and the starter battery with no need to worry about the split charge relay. The instruction manual for the B2B has about 5 different options for configuring it, if I remember rightly version 3 works with the EBL.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
If your system has a Schaudt Electroblock (EBL) which a lot of German vans do, then a 30A Votronic B2B can be wired directly between it and the starter battery with no need to worry about the split charge relay. The instruction manual for the B2B has about 5 different options for configuring it, if I remember rightly version 3 works with the EBL.
Is this PnP with the Votronic 1212-30 B2B and the Shauldt EBL limited to the 30A B2B or is it possible with the 50A 1212-50 B2B?

OP
OP
D

davidroxburgh

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 16, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
gerry mcg - I don't know if you have the 1212-50 Votronic already but I believe that RoadPro were told that new stock would not arrive before well into next year. I think there were a very few available via other sellers but Road Pro seem major distributors and good for back up.

In my case the size of the 1212-30 and weight was a great advantage. My impression too is that if you do moderate driving between stops the lower rate of charge is unlikely to be that significant, in our case due to some solar on a Li setting?

My van does not have an electroblock but when I was going through the instructions for each Votronic unit the pattern of showing 5 different connections was the same and apart from charging rate, the main difference was more Li settings.

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Is this PnP with the Votronic 1212-30 B2B and the Shauldt EBL limited to the 30A B2B or is it possible with the 50A 1212-50 B2B?
Yes the max is the 50A 1212-50 which is what I have. It's a slightly bigger unit than the 30A so you need to allow for that. Any bigger than 50A and you have to bypass the EBL as 50A is the max that Schaudt reckon the EBL can cope with. ( I have the EBL 101, I suppose it's possible that more recent ones can cope with more current but I suspect not). Udo Lang at Schaudt will be happy to advise.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
gerry mcg - I don't know if you have the 1212-50 Votronic already but I believe that RoadPro were told that new stock would not arrive before well into next year. I think there were a very few available via other sellers but Road Pro seem major distributors and good for back up.

In my case the size of the 1212-30 and weight was a great advantage. My impression too is that if you do moderate driving between stops the lower rate of charge is unlikely to be that significant, in our case due to some solar on a Li setting?

My van does not have an electroblock but when I was going through the instructions for each Votronic unit the pattern of showing 5 different connections was the same and apart from charging rate, the main difference was more Li settings.
RoadPro confirmed there is a substantial delay on supply of Votronic VCC1212-50 B2B due to a manufacturing issue and new delivery is not expected until April 22. however Ive managed to get a factory restored and fully tested VCC-1212-50 from RoadPro.👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back