Advice Warning Aire on A10 south of Paris (1 Viewer)

U2fire

Free Member
Sep 4, 2011
England
Funster No
MH
Burstner 535
Exp
since 2008
HI, am new to this Forum but felt it my duty to warn anyone travelling where i encountered problems.

I set of for Spain a month ago from Lancashire , i wanted to get as far in one drive so i parked up south of Paris at Aire de repos de Boutroux a Sanville 28700 on the A10 for a quick couple of hours sleep, i parked under light with cars around me with occupants sleeping.

I woke above the cab with two guys inside the van who quickly left with some cash,phone etc. By the time i crashed to the floor they had legged it.

After 3 hours with the police they informed me that the area is experiencing high levels of gangs at the moment.

Now i have wild camped many times without problems, but thought it worth posting.

Thanks

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
!? Still bemuses me why this isn't drummed into EVERYONE.

Aires are nornally pretty safe, but MOTORWAY AIRES should NEVER be used to sleep. 99% of all break ins I've heard about in aires are at the Motorway aires only. COnsidering how few there are compared to normal aires, and the facts speak.

Every trip I meet people who "use aires" and didn't know motorway ones should be avoided.

(My parents stupidly got broken into on a motorway aire too:Doh:)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I have always used motorway Aires when travelling and have done so since the early ninties. Hundreds if not thousands of vehicles sleep in thier vehicles overnight.

I have to ask the OP how did the people get in with out the alarm system sounding? As in my experience talking to thousands of people at shows and exhibitions about security of the last three decades is that when an alarm is triggered at night, the thief abandons the attempt for fear of waking every one else in the vacinity.

We took fours weeks off and toured around France down into Spain and only came back about fornight ago. We spent about six or seven nights on motorway aires without any trouble what so ever. This is what they're intended for.

We have an excellent alarm (obviously) we don't leave any thing of interest to a thief in view and we make sure that everthing is locked up, other than that we sleep like babies!

Eddie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
In addition to NOT using motorway aires I never go through or near certain cities, IE, Paris, Madrid and Barcelona. Not that I have had problems there but because city's bring out the worst in people including crime.

Doug...

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Most thieves are opportunists, they see our distinctive motorhome and think, credit cards, passports, cash and cameras. They see us as an opportunity for easy, rich pickings. If we park up in a public place the more chances there are that a thief will see us. So as Doug rightly say's; in cities and busy motorway aires the chances of robbery are much higher. However, there is much you can do to to considerably reduce the risks and even if you are particularly unlucky and are a victim; it's easy to ensure that its not the end of the world and your trip can resume.

I do sleep on motorway aires, I always have done, but never been robbed on one, but if/when I am, other measures I take ensure it will not impact me much. Two things that have always helped. It's rare that I sleep on motorway aires at night. If I have some long hauls to do, I drive at night and sleep during the day, between say 6am and lunchtime, (most of the worlds toe-rags are asleep then) If I do sleep on motorways at night I sleep knowing that no one can get into the van without me waking. If I am ever woken by an intruder inside my van on a motorway aire, I will die... of embarrassment. YOU NEED TO HAVE DEADLOCKS ON YOUR DOORS, locks that cannot be seen or opened from the outside. Or at the very least, an alarm that will guard the exterior while you sleep. If you sleep in a public place, with just regular motorhome locks in place and no alarm, you are increasing your risk of losing your property and the thief will open your motorhome quicker and quieter than you can do it with a key.

As for avoiding cities, I have had great times in a motorhome in Paris, Madrid and Especially Barcelona, yes cities have more crime, but, for me at least, its no reason to avoid them alltogether. Millions live in these cities and will never be touched by a single crime in their whole life. A few commonsense precautions will almost guarantee you are not a victim of crime.

Don't let crime or the fear of crime ruin your trips, sensible precautions and decent insurance is all you need for a relaxed trip :thumb: Oh and of course read the Motorhome Security Handbook before you go::bigsmile:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Most thieves are opportunists, they see our distinctive motorhome and think, credit cards, passports, cash and cameras. They see us as an opportunity for easy, rich pickings. If we park up in a public place the more chances there are that a thief will see us. So as Doug rightly say's; in cities and busy motorway aires the chances of robbery are much higher. However, there is much you can do to to considerably reduce the risks and even if you are particularly unlucky and are a victim; it's easy to ensure that its not the end of the world and your trip can resume.

I do sleep on motorway aires, I always have done, but never been robbed on one, but if/when I am, other measures I take ensure it will not impact me much. Two things that have always helped. It's rare that I sleep on motorway aires at night. If I have some long hauls to do, I drive at night and sleep during the day, between say 6am and lunchtime, (most of the worlds toe-rags are asleep then) If I do sleep on motorways at night I sleep knowing that no one can get into the van without me waking. If I am ever woken by an intruder inside my van on a motorway aire, I will die... of embarrassment. YOU NEED TO HAVE DEADLOCKS ON YOUR DOORS, locks that cannot be seen or opened from the outside. Or at the very least, an alarm that will guard the exterior while you sleep. If you sleep in a public place, with just regular motorhome locks in place and no alarm, you are increasing your risk of losing your property and the thief will open your motorhome quicker and quieter than you can do it with a key.

As for avoiding cities, I have had great times in a motorhome in Paris, Madrid and Especially Barcelona, yes cities have more crime, but, for me at least, its no reason to avoid them alltogether. Millions live in these cities and will never be touched by a single crime in their whole life. A few commonsense precautions will almost guarantee you are not a victim of crime.

Don't let crime or the fear of crime ruin your trips, sensible precautions and decent insurance is all you need for a relaxed trip :thumb: Oh and of course read the Motorhome Security Handbook before you go::bigsmile:

And you have Strikeback the motorhome security system and I TOTALLY agree, no one should ever venture abroad without reading the Motorhome Security Handbook before they leave!:thumb:

Eddie

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
!? Still bemuses me why this isn't drummed into EVERYONE.

Aires are nornally pretty safe, but MOTORWAY AIRES should NEVER be used to sleep. 99% of all break ins I've heard about in aires are at the Motorway aires only. COnsidering how few there are compared to normal aires, and the facts speak.

Every trip I meet people who "use aires" and didn't know motorway ones should be avoided.

(My parents stupidly got broken into on a motorway aire too:Doh:)

I have parked for over twelve years on motorway service areas in France, Spain and Portugal in a variety of different vans and only had trouble once (in Spain) from a "fake" policeman... (when he saw I wasn't opening the door for him he and his mate left smartish.)

So, while I an sure some people suffer troubles, I for one will not (and maybe stupidly) follow the shouted advice of never staying overnight on motorway service areas.

If I was frightened off by all the things the "MotorHome Community" spread amongst them selves over here I would be living in an old people's home somewhere in middle England...:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

I have tried hard to hide the anger I feel when writing this post... I hope I have succeeded... :winky:

JJ :Cool:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
I have parked for over twelve years on motorway service areas in France, Spain and Portugal in a variety of different vans and only had trouble once (in Spain) from a "fake" policeman... (when he saw I wasn't opening the door for him he and his mate left smartish.)

So, while I an sure some people suffer troubles, I for one will not (and maybe stupidly) follow the shouted advice of never staying overnight on motorway service areas.

If I was frightened off by all the things the "MotorHome Community" spread amongst them selves over here I would be living in an old people's home somewhere in middle England...:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

I have tried hard to hide the anger I feel when writing this post... I hope I have succeeded... :winky:

With no offence intended, your vehicle does not look a worth while target JJ.

Doug...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I never understand why sound advice has to be debunked ..

Fact.. staying on an Autoroute rest area has a higher risk of break in than a camping car aire .. that increased risk my only be small .. but none the less significant ..

Knowing this you can either ignore or heed the advice .. your choice.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I never understand why sound advice has to be debunked ..

Fact.. staying on an Autoroute rest area has a higher risk of break in than a camping car aire .. that increased risk my only be small .. but none the less significant ..

Knowing this you can either ignore or heed the advice .. your choice.

I don't think the advice is debunked per se Jim it's just that some see things a little differently.

It's dangerous to cross the road. You will never get hurt crossing the road, if you never cross one, but.....we all cross them; it's no joke, I imagine more people lose their lives crossing roads than those who lose a few insured belongings on french motorway aires. But with a few saftey precautions we can eliminate most of the risk and cross the road safely.

You are of course right, the best way to avoid risk is to lierally avoid it, so you will never get robbed on a motorway aire if you don't use them. But.... with a few saftey precautions we can eliminate most of the risk:Smile:

MercManW123

Free Member
Jun 3, 2011
Essex England
Funster No
MH
Looking for a Merc Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie

Doug...

If no offence was intended, then why make such a derogatory comment? :Angry:

Moreover, perhaps you'd like to share with us your apparent in-depth knowledge of the criminal fraternity; and the particular types of Motorhomes they'd target, and why?

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9

Doug...

ah, yes, but anyone who knows JJ, knows he's worth his weight in Gold.... that, making him a fine fine target for me and my French Homies :winky:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp

Moreover, perhaps you'd like to share with us your apparent in-depth knowledge of the criminal fraternity; and the particular types of Motorhomes they'd target, and why?

Have you met JJ? have you seen the beast? don't jump to conclusion, JJ and I are friends.

Doug...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

I don't think Doug was meaning to be derogatory ..

fact is, a thief is more likely to be attracted to a gleaming white motorhome or RV gin palace than an all black stealth panel van with no markings or clues to the wealth inside..

I could be wrong of course ... but that's how I read it ..

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Not quite all black dont forget the big white thumb/fingerprint that is on the beast :ROFLMAO:, but one thing for sure is it doesnt look like a motorhome or even van conversion unless you get on the roof of it

OP
OP
U

U2fire

Free Member
Sep 4, 2011
England
Funster No
MH
Burstner 535
Exp
since 2008
Ok maybe i am not as "seasoned" as some but i know precautions to take and will take on board more for the future.

As for the comment that "i would die from embarrassment if anyone was in the van" then he is very fortunate that this has never happened to him as in hindsight "die" could have been the operative word especially with 3 children asleep!

I was unlucky and wont let it put me off as this type of thing can and does happen unfortunately everyday somewhere.

Thanks

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years

Barry... thank you so much for leaping to my "defence" mate but Doug is a long time mate of mine and means no harm... honest! :thumb:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Ok maybe i am not as "seasoned" as some but i know precautions to take and will take on board more for the future.

As for the comment that "i would die from embarrassment if anyone was in the van" then he is very fortunate that this has never happened to him as in hindsight "die" could have been the operative word especially with 3 children asleep!

I was unlucky and wont let it put me off as this type of thing can and does happen unfortunately everyday somewhere.

Thanks

Right lets sort a few things out! The last time anyone in a motorhome was killed as far as I can remember was two Germans, shot in their VW in Scotland.

If you took every bit of advice that is posted on the forums you would wrap yourself up in cotton wool and hide under the stairs.

Jim said "die" because as an Author he has written the best book on the subject and on the market about motorhome security and in addition to that he has written books on security and he is the author of the "Body Guards Bible" He is a highly trained body guard that amoung other things has run a "body guard school" So when he say's "die of embarressment" I can understand why.

This would of course last for the couple of seconds that it took the thief (thieves) to die:winky: in self defence.

I do get a bit fed up reading the "Ohh don't do that" attitude to peoples own paranoia. If your scared to stay on Aires, fine don't!

But to suggest that those of us, along with thousands of other travelllers everynight staying in motorway services are stupid or risking certain trouble is simply not true.

Frankly a lot of the people that I talk to about crime have been stupid themselves. Strangely though people tend not to say things like " I was an idiot" it was my fault.

Leaving phones and camera's on the dashboard, money, passports in view, wallets and handbags. Often there is no alarm installed or if there is it is a inadequate for the job. People will often drive hundreds of miles in a couple of days, when they normally only drive fifty or sixty miles and end up knackered and simply fall asleep with everything visable.

I on the way down into Spain a couple of weeks ago had to drive through four Aire de Service to find a space to pull in for the night. Great big modern Aires, choc a block full of people sleeping in cars, tents, trucks, motorhomes, caravans. That is what they're for.

Frankly I would rather stay over night in a busy rest area than so quiet little back water.

Eddie

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We have never used Autoroute service areas for overnight stops .. that is my choice ..

When we were travelling full time we always used Motorhome aires and in three years only had one loss, a bike stolen on the aire at Capbreton.. cut from the bike rack during the night.. an alarm on the bike would in all probability have prevented this.. so heed the advice.. fit an alarm and use it, no matter where you camp.. prevention is better than cure ..

I just remembered this thread .. so thought worth reminding that it can happen .. This break in may well have been thwarted if an alarm was fitted.. even a cheap door alarm is better than none..
Broken Link Removed

We then decided to travel South and then set camp around 9:00pm. However, the first aire we pulled on to left us a bit uneasy with lots of caravans which were being pulled by transit vans pulling on the aire as well. Drivers of these vehicles spoke to 2 lorry drivers who then proceded to pack up and move off the aire so we felt obliged to do the same. We travelled a further 12 km and pulled on to a motorway services aire which was a lot busier so we decided to stay there for the night.

We ensured all doors and windows were locked before going to bed - however at 3:45 am our mobile phone was ringing and it was a call from Mick (micknden) to tell us our drivers door was open and that we had had visitors. They had also had visitors but Denise had woken up to find someone in their van and when she shouted out the visitor left rather sharpish. They were fortunate as nothing had been taken but alas they had managed to find Geo's wallet and took all the cash. There was only about 200 euros and about £50 in it but nevertheless it's an awful feeling. They have buggered all the locks on the RV trying to get in so Duncan (Star Spangled Banner) is on the case.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We have never used Autoroute service areas for overnight stops .. that is my choice ..

This break in may well have been thwarted if an alarm was fitted.. even a cheap door alarm is better than none..
Broken Link Removed

I always alarm the perimeter, this means that if a door or window is opened the alarm sounds, The bike rack and trailer (if I have one hitched) is in the alarm loop (an extra that can be specified with the excellent Strikeback system from vanBitz) it will sound if bikes or trailer are unhooked. All armed in a two second push of an alarm fob.

But alarms should be backed up with physical lock, any kind of throw bolt, preferably lockable only from the inside. This set up takes just a few seconds from the wheels stopping. My philosophy is to do all I can, and then relax, if the system fails, that's what insurance is for. let's be careful, but let's have fun too:thumb:

MercManW123

Free Member
Jun 3, 2011
Essex England
Funster No
MH
Looking for a Merc Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Have you met JJ? have you seen the beast? don't jump to conclusion, JJ and I are friends.

Doug...

Apologies Doug - didn't realise mate that you were just having a pop!

To answer your question - I first saw JJ way back in 1981 as we share the same hobby/profession. Didn't see 'his beast' though...............thank Christ!

I think the other reason I was p**sed off initially is that JJ's MH is the type I'm searching for. :whatthe:

Anyway old chap - apologies again for jumping to conclusions.

Regards,

Bal

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Can I just check---an alarm would sound just if door/window was opened? Movement inside (e.g dog !!) wouldn't set it off?

Bolt/s on side door--what do I do about driver/passenger doors?

I do have a good alarm--she has sharp teeth, and would rip apart anyone who came near me--but would be more worried about anyone opening the vehicle and letting an animal out.

In France you can buy cans of mace spray........... not sure they're legal but have seen them for sale --1 small, 1 larger, the 2 for €10

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The reason that bad people are creeping around in the dark to steal things is that they don't want to been seen or caught. Hence creeping, quietly in the dark.

Ten motorhomes, nine without alarms, one with an alarm, with a security loop around their trailer, external flashing LED's and multi lingual warning stickers warning that the doors and windows are alarmed by motorhome security system.

I know which motorhome I'd rather be asleep in! Add to that, decent locks, dogs, mace spray, what ever keeps you feeling safe.

I am not sure that any alarm is a deterrent for a "smash and grab" so don't leave your stuff on view, but as a deterrent against the low lifes creeping around late at night, you can't beat a good alarm system.

Eddie

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back