Free Member
Sep 4, 2011
perth and kinross
Funster No
MH
don't own one just yet
Exp
none
Well, we went to a motorhome/caravan sales showroom and my wife said after looking around some motorhomes that she was 'smitten' ::bigsmile: £:cry:

But thats it. She smitten - I comply :RollEyes:

So, be ready for a barage of queries on this mega purchase which is about to bankrupt me. (At least we'll have a roof over our heads and a motorhome to use as a getaway vehicle when the payments grind to a halt)! :Smile:

Cheers folks. Alan.

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Alan
Greetings from West Lothian! We did it last year and it was the best decision ever.
Enjoy!
... and welcome to the fun.
Mags

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome, too many blooming scottish motorhomers on here you are filling Scotland up with motorhomes, no room left for me:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Ah well welcome anyway and enjoy the site.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
A

alan.g

Free Member
Sep 4, 2011
perth and kinross
Funster No
MH
don't own one just yet
Exp
none
Hey! Thank you all so much for such a warm welcome!

After spending the day at the motorhome showroom, we have left confused and we can't decide between the escape 649, or the roller team 707, do any of you have any views/advice/recommendations?

All your help is gratefully appreciated ::bigsmile:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Alan and welcome to fun i assume being from Perth you went to local dealer, had a look in there when we where buying. Dont know much about the models yoyu mention but what i would say unless your in a big hurry why not go to the show at the nec in october that way you will see over 100 different models and layouts. You are correct its lot of money so better to get it right, few things to think about what are you going to be using it for might sound daft question but if mainly uk and over winter then you will need room inside to lounge about a bit due to our weather. Will you be carring passengers in the back like kids or grand kids if so make sure you have front facing rear seats with seatbelts. Do you have room for it on your drive if not where will it sit just a few things to help you think but take your time look at loads and dont be afraid to make up beds and lie down once you think you have it down to last couple take a flask of tea(if allowed) and sit in it as if you where on holiday.

Most of all though is go for it you will love it

Gerry

Gran & Rog

Free Member
Apr 17, 2011
Lofthouse, Wakefield
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Eight years
Hi welcome Alan, provided you do your homework and make sure that the Van you chose is the best one for you the financial outlay will not mean a thing.
you will enjoy and have a ball.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi
Welcome to MH FUN

If I was in your position would follow gerryhughes advice if possible and do the Nec in October.
You need to see as many different vans as possible before making the big decision, and parting with cash.

Best of luck

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Well, we went to a motorhome/caravan sales showroom and my wife said after looking around some motorhomes that she was 'smitten' ::bigsmile: £:cry:

But thats it. She smitten - I comply :RollEyes:

So, be ready for a barage of queries on this mega purchase which is about to bankrupt me. (At least we'll have a roof over our heads and a motorhome to use as a getaway vehicle when the payments grind to a halt)! :Smile:

Cheers folks. Alan.

Hi Alan,
Congrats on becoming part of the tribe of "smitten" Funsters. Its good to have more Scots in the club as most of the funsters are in Yorkshire or south England.
Visiting a dealer is a great way to start and to discover the most important pre requisit to fun motorhoming, - what is my budget!!!!!!!!!!!
Having decided that the next most important is layout as there are nearly as many differing layouts as there are motorhomes.

If you need advice ask away - there are some really helpful and experienced funsters about and when you have decided to buy don't be afraid to ask if what you are paying is a good deal both in make of motorhome and price. Peter from John Cross motorhomes offers really good advice.

Have fun and enjoy MHF

Norman

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Like you we went round the dealers including Perthshire Caravans but we bought the MH at one of the big shows. It was great being able to walk in and out of literally hundreds of them and we were surprised how many were second hand. We went expecting everything to be new and out of our price range.
When we chose ours it had all the things we wanted and more importantly it 'felt right'. We also got some good extras thrown in (like a free TV)
Another good thing about the shows is being able to park up with the funsters. There'll always be someone there who can give advice.
Mags

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Hello and welcome to the FUN :Smile: :thumb:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Like you we went round the dealers including Perthshire Caravans but we bought the MH at one of the big shows. It was great being able to walk in and out of literally hundreds of them and we were surprised how many were second hand. We went expecting everything to be new and out of our price range.
When we chose ours it had all the things we wanted and more importantly it 'felt right'. We also got some good extras thrown in (like a free TV)
Another good thing about the shows is being able to park up with the funsters. There'll always be someone there who can give advice.
Mags

Mags gives good advice although I have never managed any of the shows. - I think Perthshire caravans are expensive -
There is one word of warning and something you need to sort out when you buy at a show or anywhere a considerable distance from your home.
Can the seller perform the warranty he gives with your motorhome?
There was a thread some time ago about someone in the north of Scotland - not me - who bought a motorhome from a show down south but when it came to warranty work he had to take it back to the dealer. Obviously the cost fuel v cost of local repair was a no brainer.

Norman

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
That's right Norman. We bought ours from Cleveland motorhomes at the show and asked that question. They said they would arrange for a local dealer to do warranty work - which they did without the slightest fuss.
They've been great.
It's been a fantastic decision for us - even inspired us to go for early retirement so we can enjoy it more.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Buying that first van is a big problem, because you only think you know what you want. On average people get the right van the third time around. Now that couod cost a bomb if you go down the route of a new van. So for the first one go secondhand, use is settle in and discover what you really need. Is the bed comfy, is ther enough room in the toilet, can you see the TV from the lounge and the bed is there an oven, do you need one. Will you be wild camping or just staying on sites so many things you have not thought of yet will crop up. So get some use out of a secondhand van then sell it on or ppart exchange for what you think you need next. Think about where you are goijg to park it, keep it etc. One of the best bits of advice I can offer is to buy the motorhome buyers handbook published by Jim, you will see and advert for it in his signature and also top right of this page. It will save you money. Remember a secondhand van comes with extras as well. Good luck with your search.

OP
OP
A

alan.g

Free Member
Sep 4, 2011
perth and kinross
Funster No
MH
don't own one just yet
Exp
none
Well, we just launched into this as of Sunday last (8 days ago) - got the bug, was smitten - and went for the top dale at the swimming baths and just went for the plunge.

Elddis Autoquest 180 with zero miles...

Did we do the right thing ? I suppose many of you will say not. But a gut feeling (in my view anyways) is the best indicator of future happy times.

Best to all of you and yours.

:Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back