France and Spain, here we come! (1 Viewer)

D magic

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi all, very new to motorhoming and Motorhome Fun, love reading the banter. Going to France/Spain soon, are there any tips or pieces of advice on necessities we should take, security issues, best practice, gas, etc etc. I am hoping to have covered most things through reading articles in mags and online. But there is a wealth of experience on this site.
Looking forward to it, but as I am sure all you "time served experienced motorhomers" will agree, it is a bit daunting for your first trip.:Eeek: What do I take, what do I do when Im there to makle life safe and secure?
Anything that could be of help would be greatly appreciated. Will send a progress report when I get back:thumb:

Cheers all, many thanks in anticipation:thanks:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
In France you should carry all your vehicle documents with you, and your ID & driver's licence.
You probably know you have to have a warning triangle and spare set of bulbs in the vehicle & a high visibility vest for each adult in the vehicle cab.

I'm not sure if the gas cylinders here fit British m/homes fittings but someone here will know, I'm sure.
Enjoy your trip.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
You need 2 warning triangles.

Re gas, you do not say how long you are going for. You cannot get or refill calor in France or Spain, so we always take enough and have always been OK. But if your trip is for 3 months or more you might want to get a spannish cylinder and adapter. You can get them there of course.
We take one 13 kg and 2 6kg (lightweight) cylinders for 8/9 weeks. Do not always need the second small cylinder though.

We use aires extensively in France (the camping car aires, not motorway aires) and have never had a problem. In spain generally we use sites. Get an ACSI discount card from Vicarious books - although they have probably now sold out of the 2011 cards.

Take plenty of books - or alternatively buy a Kindle. Kindle saves lots of weight and you can download newspapers if you wish as well as books.

Re security, we have never had a problem but the roads around Barcelona do have a reputation for crime, people being stopped by people ostensibly to help with a problem and then robbing them. We tend to get past Barcelona as quickly as poss.

Cordoba, Granada, Toledo, Seville etc are all worth going to.

There are lots of super places to stay, with more info about how long you are going for, and whether you intend touring or staying put, I am sure many people can give you more advice.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rob kinnear

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
1 year 10 years tugger
WE had our first trip to France and Spain last September and had the same thoughts as you have posted. No issues what so ever as we we stayed on site in Spain for 8 nights gas was no issue for us and did not use a full bottle ( took 2 6kg ) . As for security just followed normal practice as did not park with things on display and not in secluded areas ( felt safer wilding than we do in UK ).
Had all documents and copies planned our route and just took it steady. We had booked a silly o'clock ferry going out and when we landed it was raining heavy and that was a mistake, as I was not use to the roads / lights deflected/ heavy rain so I stopped in the first aire on the way to Paris had a sleep it was light and had stopped raining when we woke up and no issue after that.
Went straight down to the south of France (used toll roads and wont do that again) across to Salou returned home via Andorra
We are off France on the 11th and can not wait
More experience funsters will be along soon

Enjoy your trip
Rob
:thumb:.

Enjoy your trip

Aug 6, 2011
Chester-le-Street, UK
Funster No
MH
Malibu 640 GtRb
Exp
since 2011
Hi, enjoy your trip, take your time to visit off main roads, a wealth of great villages with aires, we are off next week too. Have just picked up our new motorhome.
Gina

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Ferry

hopefully will be on 0800 ferry on Monday 5th touring France:thumb:

floyd77

Free Member
Sep 3, 2011
edinburgh
Funster No
MH
RV Fourwinds Hurricane
Exp
since 2008
hi there, in regards to gas, i'm just back from france and when i ran out of gas for bbq i could'nt get refill so just bought cheap little conversion kit from carrefour supermarket for about 7 euros and bought a french bottle of gas.very easy to change and keep your old connector.
best places for fuel in france are the little 24 hour self serve jobs so make sure to get a pre paid mastercard or visa in euros and you'll get an extra 10% fuel for your money.fair fx mastercard gives you good rate.

get a allan rogder book of campsites of france(think thats his name)

stay off toll roads- rip-off! if you must then make sure to fill up before you do or add 10% to your fuel bill !
places to see; vallon pont de arc, ardeche, valras plage for the med.
Oh aye, if you get stuck just tell them you scottish.
Enjoy proper food and lovely wine.::bigsmile:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
The tolls can get expensive. This site http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/overseas/european_tolls_results.jsp
shows some charges--the second (dearer) column is for motorhomes.

Thanks Motorhomer-- I can never remember if I'm supposed to have 1 or 2 triangles, so must check there are 2 triangles in the car.

mac111051

Free Member
Jul 30, 2011
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Spare three pin plug, if you nead to buy a new kettle or toaster etc you can replace the contenental plug and use it in your van

Tez

Free Member
Aug 28, 2011
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Touring France/Spain

Hi to you,all good advice but no one has mentioned on most sites you will need a plug adaptor for your lead and these are readily available from any good Motorhome/Caravan spare stockist.
Suggest you take two with you making sure one has reversed polarity which is marked as this is very common in both France and Spain,also some way of testing before you connect which can be as simple as a mains testing screwdriver.Hope this helps enjoy your trip.Tez.

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
Hi all, very new to motorhoming and Motorhome Fun, love reading the banter. Going to France/Spain soon, are there any tips or pieces of advice on necessities we should take, security issues, best practice, gas, etc etc. I am hoping to have covered most things through reading articles in mags and online. But there is a wealth of experience on this site.
Looking forward to it, but as I am sure all you "time served experienced motorhomers" will agree, it is a bit daunting for your first trip.:Eeek: What do I take, what do I do when Im there to makle life safe and secure?
Anything that could be of help would be greatly appreciated. Will send a progress report when I get back:thumb:

Cheers all, many thanks in anticipation:thanks:
Try our blog, it might help a bit. Its here under billkce or www.eastmidlandsdea.co.uk

good luck

Bill & Carole

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back