changing the Radio in a 2006 Ducato (1 Viewer)

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I want to change the standard Fiat radio in my van.

Before embarking on this I thought I would ask if any others have done this and what pitfalls I should look out for.

I can't believe that it will be as simple as slide the old one out and slide the new one in.

Also what arial would you recommend as the existing one doesn't work very well, not that I can find one though!

Lunarman

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I want to change the standard Fiat radio in my van.

Before embarking on this I thought I would ask if any others have done this and what pitfalls I should look out for.

I can't believe that it will be as simple as slide the old one out and slide the new one in.

Also what arial would you recommend as the existing one doesn't work very well, not that I can find one though!

Lunarman

What should be a simple job is a pain in the butt.

I replaced the original Peugeot radio in my previous van, same cab as the Fiat and also in my current van which is almost the same as a Lunar. The replacement I bought was a "standard" DIN fit but one which would play DVD, SD card, USB in, Ipod in etc.. However it was noticeably longer and had a lot more wires, (video in / out, USB etc etc.)

I had to cut out a large hole at the back of the recess, just so as to make "space" for the wiring, so the radio would fit flush into the slot. I also had to jump the live so the radio would stay on, when the ignition was off, and of course you lose the "remote" controls on the steering wheel.

So my 5 minute job took over 2 hours, having said that, were pleased with the results.:thumb:

We also found the radio reception improved a lot on the new unit without having to change the aerial, which was the next intended job. Can now get MW and LW now which the original radio only did if I held the antenna with my hand...:Eeek:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Yeh! we recently changed the radio from only on when full ignition is on, but we are having trouble with the aerial. Anyone know where the aerial is? Thought perhaps it's earthed somewhere on the chassis?
Anyway it's crap, any suggestions???

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
it may be a roof mounted aerial which the convertors obviously remove for the overcab to fit.

if you can access the space above the cortocy (sp ?) light (IE: remove the light) you may find the end of the coax cable.

many dont think to replace it with a conventional wing mount.

newer models may have the aerial built into the windscreen or wing mirror with an amplifier nearby.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
if its the X250 model i believe the aerial is inside the passenger mirror for some strange reason.

however mine has one fitted on the passenger wing.
there is also a on-off-on switch fitted between the gearstick and steering wheel to power the radio position 1 is on with ignition
position 2 is off and position 3 is powered from the hab battery.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if its the X250 model i believe the aerial is inside the passenger mirror for some strange reason.

however mine has one fitted on the passenger wing.

i know the reasoning behind that.......its so fiat can slap another £100 on the price of a new mirror assembly :Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back