Gasoil or Diesel (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Over here in France & Spain the petrol stations offer Gasoil or Diesel at the pumps. Out of interest can anyone tell me what the difference is as gasoil is about 40cents cheaper.
I'm assuming gasoil is similar to Red Diesel in the Uk i.e. agricultural diesel?

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Fill your tank with Red and the police/customs catch you it will be a lot more than 40 cents a gallon especially if you come to the UK with any traces of it in your tank.

DONT PUT IT IN.

Peter

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
:Eeek: we have always filled up with gazole in France. Are you saying that's wrong? Everybody else seems to do it. :Eeek:

Ivy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
20 plus another 12years tugging/small campers
hi, can't comment about france or spain but you are right on the money when it comes to the uk.gas oil here is red diesel ,as you say agricultural diesel fuel with little or no duty ,and definately not to be used as road fuel for the average motorist(there are some exeptions to this) hence the huge price difference. steve.:thumb:

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I always understood gasoil to be a translation of diesel. We put it in our tank all the time. Never had any bother. I think you will find that you don't get a choice of diesel or gasoil; youjust get one or the other depending on the country.

OP
OP
jaygee
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
You definetly get the choice at some petrol stations.
Will putting gasoil into a diesel engine do any damage.

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
20 plus another 12years tugging/small campers
if the gasoil is red in colour and you return to the uk it will damage the contents of your wallet if you get caught by hmrc:thumb:

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Onboard ship we run our diesels on gas oil (MGO, the M standing for Marine) at a guess the difference could be not in colour (MGO comes in various shades of red through to clear duty not paid) but the sulphur content and the specific gravity.

And again I'm just guessing but gas oil may have an effect on your Cats performance reducing or even clogging it! :Eeek: and could accelerate injector nozzle wear, hence a reduction in engine performance and a probable emissions failure come MOT time.

Someone with a greater knowledge may correct me on this:thumb:

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
just done a bit more internet research, gasoil or gazole is just regular diesel. no worries.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I think you are referring to Gasiol A or Gasiol B. In rural Spain the cheaper one is red agricultural fuel ie NO TAX. Its normally about 1 Euro per ltr. Don't use it for road use.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Isn't the 'red' in the diesel just a colourant added so the Customs and excise can recognise it as non duty paid fuel, i.e. agricultural or fishing boats?

OP
OP
jaygee
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
I think you are referring to Gasiol A or Gasiol B. In rural Spain the cheaper one is red agricultural fuel ie NO TAX. Its normally about 1 Euro per ltr. Don't use it for road use.
Just what we thought. I believe the nozzle is quite a lot larger too for Gasoil.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I have always understand it to be regular diesel.. They charge the same price !!!
If it was at a pump with a big price difference then I would suspect it as red diesel..

Any way. I'm not worried about them dipping my diesel tanks.. It's the 100ltr water tank that I drain and fill with Spanish Bacardi that worries me...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::winky:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Speaking to a chap on a canal boat in France he told me you cannot get Red Diesel in France so they fill up with 500 gallons in Belgium but you must have a receipt with you at all times. ::bigsmile: Bob.

Feb 25, 2008
Barril da Alva, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
on and off for the whole of my existance
I have always believed that the difference between gasoil and diesel is:

Gasoil is a less refined diesel specifically for trucks/hgv's

Diesel is a more refined version for the modern car engine.

Happy to be proved wrong, especially before i go abroad again and fill up..lol

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Definative answer from Total UK

Gas Oil is used for industrial heating, by off-road diesel vehicles and machinery, as a marine fuel, and as a fuel for rail locomotives. It is clearly marked with a red dye to differentiate it from ULSD.

France may have different rules on using red diesel, i dont know, but if you put it in over there then come home and get dipped you will be heavily fined and your vehicle will be confiscated and possible destroyed.

Supposedly, once you put red diesel in your tank you cant get rid of the residual red dye after filling with duty paid diesel so theres no escape....how true this is i dont know :Doh:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Gasoil is what papajohn says it is. Heating oil, agricultural fuel.

Gasoleo is Spanish for diesel....Gasoleo A. Gasoleo B. Cant remember which is which,but one of them is red,used for tractors. One is a shade of green used for roadfuel....End of Spanish lesson.::bigsmile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
When gasoil is produced at the refinery it is either sold as gasoil with the red tracer dye added.. or further refined to reduce the sulphur and becomes ULSD .. or diesel .. a short version of the correct name DERV .. diesel engine road vehicle fuel ..

With regard to engine performance, it was my experience while in Morocco (where they only sell gasoil,) that my Cummins engine not only performed better but also better MPG, albeit a bit more smoky on cold start up..

IMO .. ULSD isn't better for the engine... but better for the environment ..

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
In France, Gazole is standard road diesel - nearly always called such at supermarket pumps. Some pumps now list "Diesel" which, I think, refers to branded diesel with extra additives. I've seen this more on branded oil company pumps. Alternatively, perhaps it's just the global oil companies trying to use international nomenclature.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
My local pumps say "Gazole" and a few of them say Diesel--it's same fuel. Sometimes one is "Super" (additives? Branded?) a few centimes dearer.

Fuel for heating will be in a separate pump and marked as such--also it's usually a single pump (not in the usual bank of 3 --2 unleaded and 1 diesel)

Agricultural fuel is also only in a single pump, has a large sign on it, and in my nearest garage that sells it, you have to get an attendant to unlock it-and at the same time prove you're entitled to buy it.

Gazole, gasoil & diesel all the same regular fuel though.

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
I have always believed that the difference between gasoil and diesel is:

Gasoil is a less refined diesel specifically for trucks/hgv's

Diesel is a more refined version for the modern car engine.

Happy to be proved wrong, especially before i go abroad again and fill up..lol
:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

ten out of ten hit the nail right on the head
also if you are stoped in the uk and found to have traces of red dont panic just tell the hmc,that you have been to france/spain ect ,but you must have a copy of ferry/tunnell ticket and fuel rept to prove it,,as the duty was paid in the eu not a lot they can do ,,,,most eu lorrys fill up with red before coming to the uk ????

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

ten out of ten hit the nail right on the head
also if you are stoped in the uk and found to have traces of red dont panic just tell the hmc,that you have been to france/spain ect ,but you must have a copy of ferry/tunnell ticket and fuel rept to prove it,,as the duty was paid in the eu not a lot they can do ,,,,most eu lorrys fill up with red before coming to the uk ????

Dont even think about pulling this one...:Eeek:
There is NO duty paid on red diesel anywhere in mainland Europe....and thats a FACT.

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
Dont even think about pulling this one...:Eeek:
There is NO duty paid on red diesel anywhere in mainland Europe....and thats a FACT.

Actually, to be a pedant, duty is paid on all fuels but at different rates.:Doh:
Broken Link Removed

HGV's don't fill up with "red"diesel before coming to the UK, although we used to try and fill up in France, Belgium or Holland in the good old days as there fuel prices were much cheaper. There used to be a rule that you couldn't go into France with more than 250ltrs of fuel in your tank because they saw that as importing fuel, a standard trick was to leave a 10 franc coin on your fuel gauge so when the customs officer came to check he would take it off and nod you through.:Eeek:

Gasoil and diesel sold in French service stations is all road legal, but some have different additives to improve performance, these fuels are also available in the UK.

Hope that clears things up a bit:thumb::thumb:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
We have a narrowboat which runs on red diesel or agricultural diesel. There are people especially gypsies who run thier cars on it as it used to be considerably cheaper that the white equivalent. However, our European Masters :Angry: decided that leisure boating should should comply with the EU Fuel Harmonisation policy, resulting in red diesel on the canal being only marginally cheaper than white.

A further headache for the UK canal boater is that if you use red diesel for domestic use (heating, cooking or generating power) HMRC insist you purchase the fuel thus e.g. as a 60/40 split, or other figure as you see fit, between propulsion and domestic useage. This means the domestic diesel is costed at a cheaper rate than propulsion. A lot of boatyards have stopped selling red diesel because of the complexity and bureaucracy this ruling has caused.:Angry:

frenchypilot

Free Member
May 31, 2011
France CENTRAL
Funster No
MH
class A
Exp
You definetly get the choice at some petrol stations.
Will putting gasoil into a diesel engine do any damage.

You could be getting confused at filling stations in France. No need to worry. Just look at the translation
Le gazole est le carburant des moteurs diesels - Diesel is the fuel of diesel engines

Gazole is what they call diesel here..... Gasoil or what we call red diesel in the UK cannot be accidently filled at your local filling station. In my experience you have to ask the operator to start the gasoil pump & he/she would not allow you to fill up uinless you had a permit.
What you do get at SOME stations is the ammount of sulphur added to the gazole.:thumb:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
All this talk of red diesel is not relevant to the original question.

In france and spain some pumps offer what is called gasoil or gazoil, some diesel. They are all diesel and you can safely use any of them.

Some are dearer than others in the same way as there are different grades of diesel at some garages in the UK. The more expensive ones might be better (maybe more efficent?) but I always use the cheapest and have never had any problems.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
In my experience they are both regular road diesel with different names, like diesel and derv

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Actually, to be a pedant, duty is paid on all fuels but at different rates.:Doh:
Broken Link Removed

HGV's don't fill up with "red"diesel before coming to the UK, although we used to try and fill up in France, Belgium or Holland in the good old days as there fuel prices were much cheaper. There used to be a rule that you couldn't go into France with more than 250ltrs of fuel in your tank because they saw that as importing fuel, a standard trick was to leave a 10 franc coin on your fuel gauge so when the customs officer came to check he would take it off and nod you through.:Eeek:

Gasoil and diesel sold in French service stations is all road legal, but some have different additives to improve performance, these fuels are also available in the UK.

Hope that clears things up a bit:thumb::thumb:
When I was referring to DUTY, I of course meant Road fuel duty,and I do know that no road fuel duty is paid on red fuel in mainland Europe. FACT
Have been involved in European transport all my working life,so I do know more than a lttle about it.:winky:.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back