Daytime use for fixed bed area? (1 Viewer)

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
We have a drop down bed and i am relegated to the front side so have to climb over wife to get in. Strangely, approaching seventy, that does not exite me as much as in my twenties. Considering a fixed bed design with easy access each side. However that does seem to create a space that will not get used in the daytime, neither of us are big afternoon nappers.
Are there any ways the area could be put to better use? I have seen middle drop down beds but they then present the same problem of climbing over to get to the toilet. Is there a model that has the whole bed tilting up, as in some small bedsits.
So any bright ideas out there for use of the space?

Oh, I often wondered why some folk post threads at three in the morning. I understand now as I am typing this while lying in hospital having had a total knee replacement yesterday so not sleeping so well.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Oh, I often wondered why some folk post threads at three in the morning.
Night shift or typing from another country/time zone.
Prop back bed?? Interesting idea... don't know about now but I do remember, many years ago, seeing a caravan with just that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
68c

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Why does the space need to be used in the daytime?
Cannot think of a specific reason other than seems wasted space. Our van is 6.2m, could just get a 6.5m van in the parking space so realise a fixed island bed would take up a lot of the space. Rather like the idea of a rearwards tilting island bed that could have folding down inward facing seats and a lift up table. As the seats do not have to double as a bed they could be quiet thin when folded up against the wall to allow access to the island bed. Stil room at the front for the conventional dinette with a long sofa on one side so one of us can go to bed early while allowing the other to relax watching reruns of top gear (while wearing headphones).

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
45 years ago just married we lived in an old caravan with a drop down bed like you are talking about, it had a shelf that became the support ,it was very good with a lovely mattress, the caravan also had an enamel solid fuel stove with a chrome water boiler surrounding the flue which heated the water, it was an easy van to live in, i cant understand why that design is not used today ,altho i do see them in american sitcoms,in apartments, great idea in a studio flat or mobile home :)
ps hope the knee heels quickly 🤗

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
68c if memory serves the one i saw was a double with straps to secure bedding.. and folded up against back wall.
It lowered down on top of two Inward facing double sofas.
So sound like what you envisage

Reactions: 68c
Jul 26, 2019
Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
McLoius Fusion
Exp
Since 2019
68c if memory serves the one i saw was a double with straps to secure bedding.. and folded up against back wall.
It lowered down on top of two Inward facing double sofas.
So sound like what you envisage
The Swift Elegance Grande has a fold out bed. Is this what you was thinking of?

OP
OP
68c

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
45 years ago just married we lived in an old caravan with a drop down bed like you are talking about, it had a shelf that became the support ,it was very good with a lovely mattress, the caravan also had an enamel solid fuel stove with a chrome water boiler surrounding the flue which heated the water, it was an easy van to live in, i cant understand why that design is not used today ,altho i do see them in american sitcoms,in apartments, great idea in a studio flat or mobile home :)
ps hope the knee heels quickly 🤗
Yes, those ones you see in US sitcoms, always seem to have comedy potential. I suppose weight would be a problem as I have lost my C1 due to glaucoma affecting my eyesight.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Cannot think of a specific reason other than seems wasted space. Our van is 6.2m, could just get a 6.5m van in the parking space so realise a fixed island bed would take up a lot of the space. Rather like the idea of a rearwards tilting island bed that could have folding down inward facing seats and a lift up table. As the seats do not have to double as a bed they could be quiet thin when folded up against the wall to allow access to the island bed. Stil room at the front for the conventional dinette with a long sofa on one side so one of us can go to bed early while allowing the other to relax watching reruns of top gear (while wearing headphones).
Dethleffs trend DBM 6557 might do the trick.
Island bed and a front lounge.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
We have a drop down bed and i am relegated to the front side so have to climb over wife to get in. Strangely, approaching seventy, that does not exite me as much as in my twenties. Considering a fixed bed design with easy access each side. However that does seem to create a space that will not get used in the daytime, neither of us are big afternoon nappers.
Are there any ways the area could be put to better use? I have seen middle drop down beds but they then present the same problem of climbing over to get to the toilet. Is there a model that has the whole bed tilting up, as in some small bedsits.

Oh, I often wondered why some folk post threads at three in the morning. I understand now as I am typing this while lying in hospital having had a total knee replacement yesterday so not sleeping so well.
The main conciliation for us is the large garage which is below the double bed. So thats 50% of the space used. Plus we have wall cupboards around most of the 'bedroom' space so another 10%. The added benefit of not having to crawl over somebody from the drop down bed is more than worth the 40% of space taken. I wouldn't worry about the loss of space just enjoy the additional look and feel. Oh and we also still have the facility of a drop down bed for when the grandkids want to come with us.

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
That made me laugh, thank you. And get well soon.
It’s one of the reasons we changed our first motorhome - especially as I now need a mid night wee break and hubby got fed up of a knee to his groin as I gracefully (not) clambered over him, occasionally if too sleepy or dark had to stop for a little rest and I am no lightweight. Got 2 single bed with independent access and next motorhome will look at fixed double - would have to be large tho as hubby 6 Foot 5 inches.

Phileas Fogg

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
west of the tamar
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
You can have the best of both Worlds. Used to own a Bessacarr E795 which had a full size rear lounge with benches at least 6 foot long, this meant as a day van you had a big rear lounge that could easily seat six in comfort or you could lie flat down on the seats. It also had the front dinette which seated four plus an overcab bed.
When touring we would make convert the rear lounge in to a permanent bedroom by adding a mattress which we kept spare.
Compromise was a fairly small bathroom compared to the massive area we have in our Autosleeper Winchcombe which is arguably the most comfortable van we have ever owned, but, you have to make the beds up which takes all of three minutes.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have twin singles at the rear in our 7.5m van I don't consider it a waste of space as we get a huge garage under the bed that houses all our junk including e-bikes, washing machine, spare cassette, paddleboard etc. The drop down bed at the front is used for storage or grandkids.
I would never consider any van without fixed beds, it makes the use much more practical.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
It depends, do you find the lounge/kitchen/washroom, a waste of space when you're sleeping? I drop our table down, and load the beds with travelling paraphernalia during the day, it keeps the living space uncluttered for impromptu stops and rest breaks.
We have fixed singles, and it works for us early sexagenarians, but the Dethleff with the height adjustable queen bed would have worked as well, but was just to long for it's dedicated living space on the front drive, horses for courses.
Mike

Phileas Fogg

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
west of the tamar
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would never consider any van without fixed beds, it makes the use much more practical.
I don't quite follow that except of course if you get a garage under the beds in which case I agree the storage is ideal. With a lounge yes you have to make the beds up by I can get a 6' 4" x 6'4" bed that I can sleep in any any direction regardless of slope and in the day time it vanishes.
We all use our vans in different ways, in an ideal World I would have a fixed bed and a huge lounge but vans with that spec are few and far between, Autotrail Chieftain comes close but not sure there is anything else.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

The main advantage is what goes underneath said fixed bed. In many cases, that is a large garage. In my case, it is a 210 litre onboard (i.e. frost protected) water tank and the fridge, plus loads of our storage for camping gear (tents, chairs, longbows etc.). The space itself isn't great for lounging, but normally holds the silver screens when travelling. You can also still jump up and read a book, as well, if your book benefits from a lie down.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....

We have two fixed rear single beds, bathroom across the rear. The single beds can be used as seating during the day or evening. We can have around ten people sat comfortably inside the van ....

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We each have our very own double beds, he has the front drop down over the cab seats and I have the rear fixed transverse double, works a treat for us and no trying to climb over the mountain that is the other half if you need to go to the loo! We use the fixed bed as an additional lounging/slobbing-out area so it isn't wasted.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
For those thinking of a fold out bed (called a Murphy bed in the US) then one manufacturer did one on their short coachbuilt,. can't remember whether it was a Chausson or not, but it had an L lounged behind the hab door with the washroom at the rear, the bed folded up against the wall during the day and just flopped down at night.

OP
OP
68c

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Many thanks for all the replies. Being a naturally untidy person I know a fixed bed would become a dumping ground during the day which would just get pushed onto the floor when I go to bed after sipping a little red wine..

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Many thanks for all the replies. Being a naturally untidy person I know a fixed bed would become a dumping ground during the day which would just get pushed onto the floor when I go to bed after sipping a little red wine..
Early morning responses can only mean you're not sleeping well after the op for one reason or another. I had my knee replaced about four years ago and had a few infections and a long drawn out rehab BUT I would do it again tomorrow if I had to. I now walk without limping or kicking my leg out, I can walk a few miles even over rough ground, I struggled to walk 500 yards without pain prior to the op. Stuck with it, work you're way through it and do as much physio as you can, it will get better !!

PS my earlier response re two single beds, they are all on the same floor level as the rest of the van which makes them useable as social seating during the day if needed, a bit like the emergency Christmas chairs .... and as they lift really easily there is very little 'daytime dumping' ...

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
You should have mentioned you are a uni student!

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We have a "U" shaped lounge with an over the cab bed, Chris the lady of the house sleeps in the bed I sleep on the long settee, when either of us get up we don't disturb each other.
Understand those who are a little infirm preferring a fixed bed but for us it would just be a waste of space in a vehicle were space is a premium, as for having a large garage what comfort is in that.
We blank off the cab when parked up, certainly don't have any interest in sitting in the cab seats when we can sprawl out in the "U" shaped lounge.
The Autotrail Arapaho has a large "U" shaped lounge and a dining area allowing you to have two single beds set up.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
We also have an electric drop down bed that swmbo has to climb over me, no real problems. I actualy sleep better in the van that at home.
I had a tkr 3 yrs ago and still have agro use an ice pack and post at 3 and 4 in the morning , but its better than before so no regrets. Also can walk 5mile on pembrokeshire coastal path with less agro than swmbo .
Strangely enough i was concidering a wall based drop down bed in a self build that didn't happen due to money falling out of the sky and buying a coach built. I am sure ive seen something simular in a self build but nothing like in a commercial conversion.
Best of luck

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back