"Circumnavigation" by motorhome (1 Viewer)

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
My first love is sailing, and like most who embrace this pastime I had thoughts of a circumnavigation of the British Isles. It probably wouldn't have happened anyway, but after a few brave attempts my wife, Jill, has decreed that sailing isn't her thing, sorry, no way, isn't going to happen, forget it.:Sad: Don't want to sail solo, thanks, hence the motorhome.

We are now thinking about a long term plan for when I'm fully retired, of travelling round the British Isles by road, sticking to coastal routes as much as is feasible and sensible. We wouldn't necessarily do it all at once, but possibly in sections.

I am relishing the prospect of planning this venture over the next year to eighteen months, but there is a lot to consider, and it occurred to me that this must have been done, probably many times, and that there will be a wealth of experience out there to draw on.

Hence this post.

I'm not even so far along as to be able to ask specific questions as yet, other than to wonder does anyone know of a book perhaps that has been written on this topic, by someone who has done it?

Any thoughts, ideas, comments as usual more than welcome,

Mike

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I believe Frank (sallytrafic) on another site has done this, in "Fact" I am sure he has, he's also written an extensive blog about it.

Ian

Upvote 0

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
My first love is sailing, and like most who embrace this pastime I had thoughts of a circumnavigation of the British Isles. It probably wouldn't have happened anyway, but after a few brave attempts my wife, Jill, has decreed that sailing isn't her thing, sorry, no way, isn't going to happen, forget it.:Sad: Don't want to sail solo, thanks, hence the motorhome.

We are now thinking about a long term plan for when I'm fully retired, of travelling round the British Isles by road, sticking to coastal routes as much as is feasible and sensible. We wouldn't necessarily do it all at once, but possibly in sections.

I am relishing the prospect of planning this venture over the next year to eighteen months, but there is a lot to consider, and it occurred to me that this must have been done, probably many times, and that there will be a wealth of experience out there to draw on.

Hence this post.

I'm not even so far along as to be able to ask specific questions as yet, other than to wonder does anyone know of a book perhaps that has been written on this topic, by someone who has done it?

Mike

Hello Mike.

Never done what you're talking about but can really relate to what you have in mind - including what you say about sailing. The Rosabella is named after a boat and is a pretty good substitute.

I too am approaching retirement and I'm thinking about a 'Pillars of Hercules' trip around the Med. With all the problems in the Arab world at the moment it's going to have to be a dream for the moment.

Good luck with your plans - keep us up to date if you can.

Trevor:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Two coincidences here Trevor....

My boat (just sold) was Arabella - pretty close to Rosabella - and our new motorhome will be "Rose" (as in compass rose)

Yes, we belong to that group of people who find the need to name the inanimate things in our life, especially those that bring us the most pleasure. Some may think it sad, but you wouldn't have a boat without a name, would you? Why not name a motorhome?

My wife had a sewing machine called "Pearl" (Pearl's a singer) Her shopping trolley (used principally for the allotment) is "The allotmobile" :winky:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Looks like there is indeed a book on the subject:

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coast-Road-Journey-Round-England/dp/1905798091[/ame]

Might even buy it myself...

David

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I believe Frank (sallytrafic) on another site has done this, in "Fact" I am sure he has, he's also written an extensive blog about it.
Ian
The only thing lacking on fun is a Sallytrafic cant he be persuaded to jump ship and join the fun.:thumb:

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi I like your idea of tour of GB bit long winded for us but I envy you the journey . Yep weve always named all our 8 m/h's the current one's called fidget as we / I never stay any where more than 2 nights like to keep moving on.

Upvote 0

col8y

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
West Mids
Funster No
MH
Merc
Exp
This may help

Hi Mike

Just joined the forum and whilst browsing came across your message. We are in the process of researching a trip around the UK using coastal roads. (Very early stages) I have come across a book called The Coast Road by Paul Gogarty which I acquired from Amazon but have not read yet. Can I suggest that we pool any information we come across

Kind regards
Steve

Upvote 0
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Having spent a good deal of the last 20 odd years shooting off to France each year for summer holidays towing a caravan I bought a M/H last year and spent 5 weeks this summer touring round Wales, some of the coastal scenery is absolutely stunning, particularly the Pembroke and Anglesey coastlines, (some a bit difficult to access) all this beauty in our own isles.:thumb:

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Around Great Britain

Hence this post.

Mike

Hi Mike, Well we have a at least two objectives in common, sailing is also my main passion and despite lots of evenings chatting about a trip around the British coast I can`t convince my wife (Chris) to join me on this wonderful adventure.
Can`t really blame her, rough seas, tides to take in to consideration, and dressed ina heavy sea going gotex suit and wellies.
Hence the reason we sold our Westerly here and bought a yacht out in Greece, so much more pleasant sailing in the sun.

So like yourselves we have joined into the motorhome community and have to say we are loving it.
One of the things we have set to do is travel the coast of Great Britain, we take a month off every year (currently in our 2nd) doing just that.
Last year we drove the coast of Scotland, it was suggested that the best way was to head over to the east coast, along the top and drive down the west coast, from a visual aspect this was sound advice.
This year we started over in Kent and visted the Cinque ports heading along the south coast and into Cornwall.
Obviously collecting information on the way and any places we have passed through that we like go into our favourites and we then go back there to enjoy at our leisure sometime later during the year.
How long this will take us hasn`t been planned, we just pick an area and go from there.
Whicheever you decide we wish you well. :thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Hi Mike

Just joined the forum and whilst browsing came across your message. We are in the process of researching a trip around the UK using coastal roads. (Very early stages) I have come across a book called The Coast Road by Paul Gogarty which I acquired from Amazon but have not read yet. Can I suggest that we pool any information we come across

Kind regards
Steve

Steve,

I've seen the same book on amazon - in fact it's the only book I've been able to find which looks anything like relevant, which makes me wonder if a coastal MH circumnavigation is perhaps not such a common thing to do as I've thought - all the more reason to do it, write a book and cash in (wishful thinking maybe?)

I haven't bought the book, as a quick review of the content and the reader reviews on there make me think it's not what I was looking for - I'd be interested to get your views once you 've read it. Also I'd be more than happy to pool any ideas, information sources etc. that we come across - as I've said this is a project for 2013 when I am fully retired.

At the moment we're thinking of planning the trip in two week sections, returning home at the end of each segment then picking up where we left off. Means a lot of wasted time I know, but Jill doesn't think she can cope with being away from our grand-daughter fo rmore than two weeks at a time! Hopefully I can persuade her that three weeks is more reasonable, my feeling is that we can do an average of around 100 miles a day, travelling every second or third day with a very flexible itinerary - lots of other ways to do it I know, I'd be interested to get your views on this.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back