Apr 16, 2009
northants
Funster No
MH
hymer c class
Exp
since 2007
Hi
I wonder if anyone else has had this problem.
I have had my m home from new (2007) ,and have not overused the tyres (5k in 4 years). On checking them before my European foray ,I found the walls of my Michelins were detiorating. I reported this to Michelin and they advised taking it to my local tyre dealer and getting them to refer it back to them upon changing the aforesaid tyre. The dealer recommended changing all four ,on grounds of wall detioration. Needless to say i declined the offer of Michelins and went for a higher load wearing spec of a budget tyre ,thinking that this may abate future problems.
Michelins contribution to forestalling future problems was to use the tyres more and to fit U V protectors. As i live near Silverstone,I may ask Lewis ,the next time he is passing stowe corner to drop off a few of his tyre covers- anyone else had similar probs,or did I get a duff set of tyres?

Roger:Sad:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi Roger, It's generally accepted (not by all) that tyres should be changed after 5 years due to the issue you mention.
However yours maybe a lot older than the 4 years that you mention. I know that on the tyre there is a date stamp code to identify how old they are. It's not uncommon to have a new van having tyres stuck on it that are years old and been stored elsewhere.

Like you I replaced mine (5 years) and put a decent set of comercial tyres on (AV9s) and tbh, I find them much better than the XC camping car tyres, give a softer ride and have more grip. Personally I see camping car tyres as an industry con.:thumb:

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
Hi Roger, It's generally accepted (not by all) that tyres should be changed after 5 years due to the issue you mention.
However yours maybe a lot older than the 4 years that you mention. I know that on the tyre there is a date stamp code to identify how old they are. It's not uncommon to have a new van having tyres stuck on it that are years old and been stored elsewhere.

Like you I replaced mine (5 years) and put a decent set of comercial tyres on (AV9s) and tbh, I find them much better than the XC camping car tyres, give a softer ride and have more grip. Personally I see camping car tyres as an industry con.:thumb:

5 years or not, it's a bit of a bu99er when you have to change a set of so called top quality big-name tyres at 5,000 miles. UV damage? In England? It's not exactly the south of France! :whatthe:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
5 years or not, it's a bit of a bu99er when you have to change a set of so called top quality big-name tyres at 5,000 miles. UV damage? In England? It's not exactly the south of France! :whatthe:

I have just refused a tyre from a local dealer on the ground that it was already over 6 months old and as there is a legal obligation to change them every 5 years. I asked them to drop the price to reflect the loss of use, they said no, I said good by.

Doug...

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp

Unfortunaly I have to use the "camping" tyres as I need the max pressure of 80psi, the AV9 only has a max of 70psi another point is the Michelin XC is no longer in production so I have had to move to the Agilis, which for me is a better tyre all round because its available in 225/70 15r where as the XC was only in 215/70 15r

Doug...

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Are you sure about that or is it only a recommendation. Can someone clarify the legal position please.

No, not 100% sure, but I have been told it many time by tyre fitters, but I will google it later.

Doug...

PS I have just searched for info on the age of tyres and I can find nothing, looks like i have been given a sales ploy...

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi! as a "newbie" reading about tyres, what are AV9s ?

AV 9 are strong commercial tyres specially designed to cope with harsh treatment. Featuring a reinforced carcass construction that enables them to carry heavy loads, they also have a robust sidewall rubber compound to help shrug off kerbing damage.

In otherwords, if they are good enough for white van man they are good enough for me:thumb:

Are you sure about that or is it only a recommendation. Can someone clarify the legal position please.

It is not a legal obligation BUT read on-

Unfortunaly I have to use the "camping" tyres as I need the max pressure of 80psi, the AV9 only has a max of 70psi another point is the Michelin XC is no longer in production so I have had to move to the Agilis, which for me is a better tyre all round because its available in 225/70 15r where as the XC was only in 215/70 15r

Doug...

Are you sure about that? I dont run at more than 70psi anyway but im sure on my 16inc rim they inflate higher than that.

No, not 100% sure, but I have been told it many time by tyre fitters, but I will google it later.

Doug...

PS I have just searched for info on the age of tyres and I can find nothing, looks like i have been given a sales ploy...

No it's not a sales ploy but neither is it a legal obligation,, however, if you were to have an accident the first thing that any insurance company is going to check is the tyres. Any wall damage, or any other damage to the tyres will result in a reduced payout for sure, especially on a stopping accident, ie rear shunting someone, or of course a blow out. Some will come and say that's rubbish, but I have first hand experience of having an assessor going over my crashed vehicle and initially refusing a payout based on the rear tyre of my superbike, Only quick thinking got me the payout needed.

All I would ever say is that we all put a very very big ammount of trust in a very very little bit of rubber, not worth the chance if you ask me, if it feels or looks wrong, change it.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Are you sure about that? I dont run at more than 70psi anyway but im sure on my 16inc rim they inflate higher than that.

Yes absolutly sure, I'm on 15" wheels and 70psi on the back is just no enough, I do have av9's at 70psi on the front and there ok but not for the back.

The motor home was a knock down Sundance but renamed Suntor from Brown hills and putting 15" rims on was just one of the things that was done to get the price down.

Doug...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
From production line to tyre retailer could easily be several weeks or even months depending on how popular a tyre size it is.. and provided it has been in a warehouse there will be no UV degradation.. and no reduction in life expectancy.

Whether in the UK or Southern Europe, covering tyres while parked up will greatly increase their life.. I bet more motorhome tyres are changed due to UV damage than from being worn out ..

If stored for extended periods it's also worth either removing the wheels or jacking the van and taking the load off the tyres and covering with old carpet or sacking .. If left standing for long periods flat spots can occur which can lead to vibration and premature side wall failure .

Five years is only a guide.. those not looked after may need changing sooner.. ones looked after they could last 7 or more years ..

They are part of the MOT so heed any advice from the inspector.. if in doubt change them.. no matter how much tread is left..

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
From production line to tyre retailer could easily be several weeks or even months depending on how popular a tyre size it is.. and provided it has been in a warehouse there will be no UV degradation.. and no reduction in life expectancy.

Whether in the UK or Southern Europe, covering tyres while parked up will greatly increase their life.. I bet more motorhome tyres are changed due to UV damage than from being worn out ..

If stored for extended periods it's also worth either removing the wheels or jacking the van and taking the load off the tyres and covering with old carpet or sacking .. If left standing for long periods flat spots can occur which can lead to vibration and premature side wall failure .

Five years is only a guide.. those not looked after may need changing sooner.. ones looked after they could last 7 or more years ..

They are part of the MOT so heed any advice from the inspector.. if in doubt change them.. no matter how much tread is left..

I have read somewhere but can't vouch for the validity, that tyres will degrade even in storage.

Doug...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have read somewhere but can't vouch for the validity, that tyres will degrade even in storage.

Doug...

Indeed they will, but we are talking many years, a few months where they will have been correctly stored will be insignificant.. .. but I take your point.. 6 months is 6 months ..

you may recall the days when tyres came wrapped in paper.. some still do

Interesting reading

Six-year shelf life? Ford statement stirs tire-aging debate as DaimlerChrysler will echo recommendation.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Indeed they will, but we are talking many years, a few months where they will have been correctly stored will be insignificant.. .. but I take your point.. 6 months is 6 months ..

you may recall the days when tyres came wrapped in paper.. some still do

Interesting reading

Six-year shelf life? Ford statement stirs tire-aging debate as DaimlerChrysler will echo recommendation.

I think the industry Has been getting away with bad practice for years, if we can be prosecuted for an aged tyre (IE an accident due to an old tyre) then there should be a sell-by date on the tyre, I am sure that there are some MH's that have the same tyre on for 10 years due to very low mileage.

But the only way this would get sorted is for some kind of test case.

Doug...

voyagerstan

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
torquay sometimes
Funster No
MH
library bus (ford voyager
Exp
since1976
no legal requirment to change due to age only conditon . its not only uvs that degrade tyres it general atmosferic conditions .:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
AV 9 are strong commercial tyres specially designed to cope with harsh treatment. Featuring a reinforced carcass construction that enables them to carry heavy loads, they also have a robust sidewall rubber compound to help shrug off kerbing damage.

In otherwords, if they are good enough for white van man they are good enough for me:thumb:

It is not a legal obligation BUT read on-

No it's not a sales ploy but neither is it a legal obligation,, however, if you were to have an accident the first thing that any insurance company is going to check is the tyres. Any wall damage, or any other damage to the tyres will result in a reduced payout for sure, especially on a stopping accident, ie rear shunting someone, or of course a blow out. Some will come and say that's rubbish, but I have first hand experience of having an assessor going over my crashed vehicle and initially refusing a payout based on the rear tyre of my superbike, Only quick thinking got me the payout needed.

[HI]All I would ever say is that we all put a very very big ammount of trust in a very very little bit of rubber, not worth the chance if you ask me[/HI], if it feels or looks wrong, change it.

Good advice, a little late though.

New Dad :RollEyes::RollEyes:

frenchypilot

Free Member
May 31, 2011
France CENTRAL
Funster No
MH
class A
Exp
So what is the correct tyre pressure for a mitchelin campervan XC 215/70 on a 15" rim. There are no recomended pressures just the max of 80psi

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
So what is the correct tyre pressure for a mitchelin campervan XC 215/70 on a 15" rim. There are no recomended pressures just the max of 80psi

On my MH the recommended pressures are 80PSI back and front but I find that 70PSI is better for the front, probably because the overhang from the rear axle is at maximum and that has a leverage lifting the front axle. But that is for my vehicle, every vehicle is different.

Doug...

Daisy21

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
So how do you know how old the tyre is? I've been trying to find out how old the tyres are on the m/h I've just bought, but internet search hasn't helped. It has DOT U834 on it which I think is something to do with age?

Thank you :Smile:
Daisy2

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
I always though that the "five year rule" was a throwback to the caravan, where tyres do little mileage, but obviously still age. I have never know a commercial operator, such as say "tesco home shopping" "ocado".....UPS etc etc, change tyres just becasue they are five years old! I would have thought, that if we had the time to investigate this fully and get evidence from all corners, we may find its a load of twaddle, HOWEVER, having had a blowout on the M4 approaching London, I would always keep a very close eye on my tyres. Checking the inside wall as well as the outside, maintaining pressures, and having a tyre with the correct sidewall ply, will keep me as safe as i think i can be.

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
... I have never know a commercial operator, such as say "tesco home shopping" "ocado".....UPS etc etc, change tyres just becasue they are five years old!....
I can't imagine a commercial operator having a vehicle that does so little mileage that its tyres last 5 years.

rhinog

Free Member
Sep 15, 2011
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
weight on tyres

If the tyres deteriorate when standing, is the logic to remove the weight? This is what I thought after finding all 4 tryewalls on mine were shot.

To stop it happening quickly again, I bought 6 caravan stands to take the weight for when it's not being used.

Also, if they're cracking, would some oil based lubricant on the walls help? Even vaseline maybe.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
So how do you know how old the tyre is? I've been trying to find out how old the tyres are on the m/h I've just bought, but internet search hasn't helped. It has DOT U834 on it which I think is something to do with age?

Thank you :Smile:
Daisy2
i think the 'U' may be a '0' which would date the tyres as week 34 of year 2008.
the Firestone 'commercial' rubber on my RV is of american origin and not too sure of the american version of date embossing, but if i'm right they are 1999 vintage...12 years old.

around 30% worn with no sidewall cracking or delamination.

the bus has done 39000 miles from new so could be original factory fit tyres. :Eeek:

at around ÂŁ300 per tyre, and theres 6 of 'em, they'll be staying on a bit longer yet :thumb:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Sorry if this has already been said but I have not read the whole post.

There is NO legal requirement to change tyres at five years old, only to change bad tyres.

Day light will deteriorate tyres, tye covers will help reduce this.

Michelin in the USA have a reputation for being amongst the worst for side wall cracking due to day light.

I have had tyres changed at 5 years but likewise I have changed them at ten years because up until then they were fine.

Also running at the correct pressure will make a big difference to both tyre life and fuel consumption.

Hope this helps as stated if already answered sorry.

All the best Rick

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
The caravan and motorhome industry both say that they recommend that tyres are changed at 5 years and must be changed at 6.

Its not just sunlight, leisure vehicles tend to spend a long time with their weight on one spot. They tend not to wear out but they do deteriorate badly.

You should check with your insurance company as I have had customers who have had accidents in caravans and the insurance industry have refused to pay out as they had "old" tyres.

Don't risk a very expensive motorhome because of tyres.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I just been an checked the tyres on my 51 plate Transit and they still look as good as new, no cracking or anything, however the tyres on my Toyota Hiace at 130000 and 5 years old have had 5 sets on the front and 3 sets on the back:RollEyes::RollEyes::RollEyes::RollEyes::RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back