LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Having spent a week with little sun to charge my batteries I have decided to buy one of the Maplin wind chargers as a backup to my 2 X 75 watt solar panels. Was thinking the best way to wire it in and I have come up with this idea. Because the wind charger needs to be taken down when driving I thought of stickaflexing a small steel plate to the roof so that the magnetised base will stick to this. Then run the wire down the outside of the bus and fit a din socket in the skirt wired to the leisure batteries. Then attach a din plug onto the windmill and plug in...hey presto. The added advantage of this is I get an outside 12 volt socket when the windmill is not connected. Also don't have to run wires through windows etc. What are your thoughts on this.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If I were to do it I would use a standard caravan S plug & socket as is used for our free-standing solar panel.

One end of the cable is permanently attached to the clamp bolts on the battery using O ring terminals. The cable, terminating in the plug/socket (can't remember which way round it is) is coiled inside the battery box when not in use and led out through the EHU route when in use.

I'll be very interested to learn what sort of results you get from the VAWT, Dave.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Having spent a week with little sun to charge my batteries I have decided to buy one of the Maplin wind chargers as a backup to my 2 X 75 watt solar panels. Was thinking the best way to wire it in and I have come up with this idea. Because the wind charger needs to be taken down when driving I thought of stickaflexing a small steel plate to the roof so that the magnetised base will stick to this. Then run the wire down the outside of the bus and fit a din socket in the skirt wired to the leisure batteries. Then attach a din plug onto the windmill and plug in...hey presto. The added advantage of this is I get an outside 12 volt socket when the windmill is not connected. Also don't have to run wires through windows etc. What are your thoughts on this.

And the good thing is when there is no sun or wind you can drive around and make your own:Doh::getmecoat:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I know there was a post regarding the Maplin charger a while ago,which was not very favourable,but I already have 2 X 75 watt solars which when sunny are more than adequate for my needs. Have been on an elevated coastal site this last week and a wind charger would be ideal as a backup to the solars.
What I like about them is that they work at night when the solars don't and even though they are not very high output,they are at least doing something when am not drawing from my batteries.Am not recommending a wind charger against a solar system but I think its a good backup for cloudy days.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
have you considered lunar panel's for night time chargeing,although more expensive than solar they are considered a worthwhile investment:thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
(snip)
What I like about them is that they work at night when the solars don't and even though they are not very high output,they are at least doing something when am not drawing from my batteries.Am not recommending a wind charger against a solar system but I think its a good backup for cloudy days.

I looked at them for the same reason when the first came out, Dave, but didn't jump because I was unsure about their efficiency compared to the rather more expensive model which Ray has. That's why I'll be very interested in your results :Smile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I looked at them for the same reason when the first came out, Dave, but didn't jump because I was unsure about their efficiency compared to the rather more expensive model which Ray has. That's why I'll be very interested in your results :Smile:
I thought it was only Chris and me that had the Lunars when did you and Ray get em, Very noisy in daylight though:Doh:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
have you considered lunar panel's for night time chargeing,although more expensive than solar they are considered a worthwhile investment:thumb:

Only realy worthwhile above the Arctic Circle in winter.:winky:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
i like the write up:ROFLMAO:
LunarPanels.com is the foremost supplier of proprietary lunar photovoltaic technologies. Our Lunar-Cyclops™ Technology constitutes what many believe to be the pinnacle of non-sun panel construction methodology. Prior to this stunning innovation of science, photovoltaic technology was limited to sun-based applications—now the sky’s the limit!
Lunar-Cyclops™ Technology allows us to generate almost 1.2 watts of clean raw electricity per hour, freeing our customers from the grid—and their monthly power bills. For mere thousands, you can save hundreds of dollars worth of raw electricity over the life of each Lunarpanel, providing unmatched peace of mind. Imagine powering your alarm clock or even a night light for free! With Lunarpanels, the raw energy of the moon is yours!
remind's me of solar:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
LunarPanels.com is the foremost supplier of proprietary lunar photovoltaic technologies. Our Lunar-Cyclops™ Technology constitutes what many believe to be the pinnacle of non-sun panel construction methodology. Prior to this stunning innovation of science, photovoltaic technology was limited to sun-based applications—now the sky’s the limit!
Lunar-Cyclops™ Technology allows us to generate almost 1.2 watts of clean raw electricity per hour, freeing our customers from the grid—and their monthly power bills. For mere thousands, you can save hundreds of dollars worth of raw electricity over the life of each Lunarpanel, providing unmatched peace of mind. Imagine powering your alarm clock or even a night light for free! With Lunarpanels, the raw energy of the moon is yours!
remind's me of solar:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Well Chris some may scoff at solar but having used it now for over 11 years without hookup,I think I have proved beyond any shadow of doubt that it works.I have the greatest admiration for your 12 volt charger,but if you were where I am now and started it up or even looked like you were going to start it am afraid you would be asked to leave the site. I use several sites that have no hookup and the use of generators are banned ,so am afraid your infernal combustion engine is of no use whatsoever here on Shell.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Well Chris some may scoff at solar but having used it now for over 11 years without hookup,I think I have proved beyond any shadow of doubt that it works.I have the greatest admiration for your 12 volt charger,but if you were where I am now and started it up or even looked like you were going to start it am afraid you would be asked to leave the site. I use several sites that have no hookup and the use of generators are banned ,so am afraid your infernal combustion engine is of no use whatsoever here on Shell.
read the rules for the site, genny's are banned:thumb:
battery chargers aint:thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
read the rules for the site, genny's are banned:thumb:
battery chargers aint:thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Annoying other site users is not only banned...Its just not done on this site.
Anyone making undue noise to the detriment of other site users will be asked to leave.
God I love quite when am chilling.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

The bit I liked is
Explaining that President Obama was “pretty clear” about wanting broad, strategic investment across the entire alternative energy sector, he added, [HI]“This should keep him quiet for awhile.”[/HI]

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
so let me get this right dave,the site you are staying on has no ehu,you are not allowed to run a genny,so how do you charge up your batteries when its over cast,or how do peeps get power if they have no solar?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
so let me get this right dave,the site you are staying on has no ehu,you are not allowed to run a genny,so how do you charge up your batteries when its over cast,or how do peeps get power if they have no solar?

Given that Shell Island is mainly aimed at tent campers it's not all that surprising is it? Most people won't need/want power.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Given that Shell Island is mainly aimed at tent campers it's not all that surprising is it? Most people won't need/want power.
just been looking at their website, and lots of caravan's and motorhomes parked up what do they do for power,also looked at their term and conditions and it states no portable genny's mmmmmmmm?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
just been looking at their website, and lots of caravan's and motorhomes parked up what do they do for power,also looked at their term and conditions and it states no portable genny's mmmmmmmm?

I only see a few motorhomes/campervans. As they say, they are not licensed for caravans. I suppose people do the same as Dave for power and use solar (same as many of us do at rallies so nowt strange) - or take advantage of the battery charging service.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
This may sound odd but this is the first time in over 11 years that I have had an issue with batteries not being charged sufficiently by solar. Normally I can sit indefinitely without hookup,but this week has been unusually cloudy and have been using a lot of power ie 500 watt inverter and I use the shower in my van. Have been doing a lot with the laptop and reading at night. That's why I started the original post re,wiring a wind generator as backup for my solar system. I have wild camped in some very unusual places and NEVER had a problem because no one knew I was there. No noise...No genny...No hassle. My whole motorhoming experiences have always been self contained and mainly self sufficient,I have never had the need for hookup as I don't normally use sites. I know that good solar systems are expensive,but so are motorhomes,I could never understand someone paying £30000 or £40000 for a motorhome and then want to spend all there time on a campsite with hookup before they would pay an extra £1000 for a good solar system and top notch battery bank.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
No caravans on here Chris. Never has been. Never will be.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
No caravans on here Chris. Never has been. Never will be.
my mistake thought i spotted caravans,but after looking again they are motorhomes:Blush:
are you allowed to run your engine?

Unfortunately we only have a camping license and therefore cannot accept Caravans

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
And the good thing is when there is no sun or wind you can drive around and make your own:Doh::getmecoat:

You can always eat baked beans.....or mushy peas....or both.. to help the situation when you do not feel like driving around, or if the sun is behind the cloud cover, and the wind has dropped .......this method MUST be used with CAUTION as methane gasses will be invisible in the area:Eeek::winky::winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Snowbird....on a serious matter I thought the wind turbines were very noisy ,with lots of vibration,.......Good luck, keep us informed how you get on :thumb:

Mel

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
(snip)
Snowbird....on a serious matter I thought the wind turbines were very noisy ,with lots of vibration,.......Good luck, keep us informed how you get on :thumb:

Mel
I've never seen a Maplins model in operation but I've seen (and not heard) Ray's Forgen 500 on several occasions. There is neither vibration nor appreciable noise.

This apparently comes about because of the vertical axis which means that the blades are always "facing" the wind, so much less movement of the business end.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Well,am just enjoying a can of Amstel outside the van,and the weather has picked up today,my solars are now working nicely and the batteries are back to a healthy 13.2 volts. Am sitting listening to nothing but the waves breaking on the beach some 50 yards away thinking how idyllic it is and how different it would be with a genny or motorised battery charger buzzing away in the background:Eeek:.Just a few photos so you can imagine what it would be like with the infernal combustion engine buzzing away.:Angry:
As I said Chris,your machine is very useful in an emergency to start a vehicle with a flat battery,but for long term use its as outdated as the stagecoach.::bigsmile:
We must move with the times and alternative energy is the way forward.
I really don't see me carrying a genny or motorised battery charger with all the other bits and pieces that go with it ie,cans of petrol,oil earmuffs,but as said am happy that you are willing to carry it in case I have a flat battery:thumb:

Attachments

• Picture 026.jpg
    Picture 026.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Picture 027.jpg
    Picture 027.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Picture 028.jpg
    Picture 028.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Picture 029.jpg
    Picture 029.jpg