Thoughts wanted on our first real MH viewing today (1 Viewer)

Sep 10, 2021
North Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 999M
Exp
Super Newbie
Just been to view an Elddis 180, 2011, 54k miles, £33k-ish. Private sale via a broker.

I don’t have a lot of experience in these matters, this will be our first Motorhome, and we have little to compare this against, so wondered if someone could offer their views and experiences.

Our general impression was ‘tatty’, wasn’t presented to sell, cupboards and storage full, not even hoovered.

Outside had seen some diy resealing, over the cab, near the rear panels. Quite messy. Inside also seen some diy resealing in the kitchen area, again not a great job, but easily fixed.

Some laminate on the roof lining showed a little curling up around the edges - sales man said it happens with blown air heating. Most cupboard doors need the screws tightening… I wonder why they didn’t do this.

I get my new moisture meter out (thanks to this forum for suggesting this!) - contactless and go around the Windows, etc.

Most places look normal, but three spots showed high readings. Near to the top of the hab door - I suspect a leak somewhere where the outside light is connectted or where the outside light cable enters.

2 spots near windows. Goes from 17% to 50%. Sales guy wanted to use the pins on the moister reader and this didn’t show anything abnormal - I’m not sure how far the pins should be inserted to give a reading. I just went on the difference between one part of the wall and the other. No hidden cables or pipes in these areas too.

So, my main question is - are the moisture readings a concern? I’m sure if I went through the van in real detail I would find more like this.

Is this general tattiness to be expected in a 10 year old van?

Finally, do to a mix up I couldn’t do the test drive today, but was told he was holding it for someone else to tomorrow if I did’t leave a deposit today! My next chance at a test drive is in about 10 days time. We obviously walked away, but still don’t know if this is all ‘normal’ or not.

Your thoughts would help us greatly.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
It doesn't sound normal to me. Or at least, a van that is going to sell for the sort of money requested.

At risk of offending anybody that's got one, I'd have said it's quite a budget van. And nothing wrong with that, except not 10 years old at that price in poor condition - IMHO.

Reckon you were right to walk away. I'm sure you'll find better if you keep looking.

Normally, it's around this time of year, asking prices start to soften slightly - but no idea if they will this year? :unsure:

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Putting aside the other issues, if the owner couldn't be bothered to clear it out and tidy it up a bit it doesn't bode well. Its 33k not 3k! We walked away from a van for that very reason, clothes still in wardrobe, stuff under seats, not want you expect to see. You'll know when you see a good one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
........ was told he was holding it for someone else to tomorrow if I did’t leave a deposit today!
:unsure: I believe m/h are in short supply so he may be right, but I've heard that one a few times before.

If it hadn't been prepared for sale and looked tatty to you it doesn't bode well. Messy re-sealing and curling roof laminate smacks of a damp problem which is never an easy fix as damp is like an iceberg - there's always far more underneath than is visible on the surface.
My rule of thumb is that if the hab area hasn't been looked after it's likely that the base vehicle hasn't either. Have you looked at its MOT history on the Gov't website? If not look here:

I wouldn't go ahead with it. It's nearing the end of season so more will come on the market.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
T
Sep 10, 2021
North Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 999M
Exp
Super Newbie
Thanks for the comments everyone. Very much appreciated. I’ve learnt so much from this site, you are such nice folk!

My gut feeling was this was all wrong, but we have nothing to compare it against so didn’t know if we were being too picky or had the wrong expectations, etc.

So, the next time I get my new moisture meter out… if I see a reading of 50% in random places, but nothing visible, this is definitely an ingress of water and we should walk away again?

Red flags noted - poorly presented for sale, poor diy work, reseals, pushy salesman.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T
Sep 10, 2021
North Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 999M
Exp
Super Newbie
It doesn't sound normal to me. Or at least, a van that is going to sell for the sort of money requested.

At risk of offending anybody that's got one, I'd have said it's quite a budget van. And nothing wrong with that, except not 10 years old at that price in poor condition - IMHO.

Reckon you were right to walk away. I'm sure you'll find better if you keep looking.

Normally, it's around this time of year, asking prices start to soften slightly - but no idea if they will this year? :unsure:
Our problem is we don’t know what a budget van is or not, so any suggestions would be warmly welcome. We could push to 40k if needed.

Our process has been - watch random YouTube videos, go to a few sales rooms / sites.

We use autotrader and search for what we think we want, then do a general Google search for each van, note payloads, and bump into the odd forum post warning about random things to look for, like reversing judders!

Our next serious viewing is a Swift Sundance 630L on Tuesday,

We’re going to the Lincoln show in a couple of weeks, it’s quite local to us, so maybe that will narrow down our search a little, but we’re finding it quite an effort so far.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T
Sep 10, 2021
North Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 999M
Exp
Super Newbie
Always go with your gut feeling.....and the advice from fellow Funsters!! I felt so much better prepared when we bought ours,thanks to lots of great advice on here!!👍🚐💖
Best £20 I’ve spend. A response to my first ever post was a recommendation to buy a moisture meter, I think it’s paid for itself already!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T
Sep 10, 2021
North Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 999M
Exp
Super Newbie
:unsure: I believe m/h are in short supply so he may be right, but I've heard that one a few times before.

If it hadn't been prepared for sale and looked tatty to you it doesn't bode well. Messy re-sealing and curling roof laminate smacks of a damp problem which is never an easy fix as damp is like an iceberg - there's always far more underneath than is visible on the surface.
My rule of thumb is that if the hab area hasn't been looked after it's likely that the base vehicle hasn't either. Have you looked at its MOT history on the Gov't website? If not look here:

I wouldn't go ahead with it. It's nearing the end of season so more will come on the market.
Thank you, noted, I did the mot check, the broker left the number plate unblanked on one of the photos he shared… although I have no idea why they blank the plates in the first place.

Mot and service history looked fine, but broker had no paper work and the owners where abroad. I asked for repair recipes, gas service checks, etc, and the only thing I got to see was a ‘hab check’ that just had a bunch of ticks on it… and there was no comeback on this hab check, so basically worthless.

I think avoiding brokers might be next on my list of no-goes.

Upvote 0

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Have you been to any dealers’ showrooms….? I know that you’ll pay more with their markup, but you’ll also usually get some sort of warranty - and you will be able to see more than one van……… (y) :unsure:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T
Sep 10, 2021
North Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 999M
Exp
Super Newbie
We decided early on that an A class German built motorhome was the way to go for us...great layout, loads of storage, great visibility and no wood in the frame therefore very minimal risk of damp...if any at all. Build quality even on a 2005 is awesome.
Looked at a couple of these in passing… blown away by them to be honest, but they are very large, and quite pricey. £35k for an 04 plate Burstner. Inside was like a palace, but, just… large…

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T
Sep 10, 2021
North Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 999M
Exp
Super Newbie
Have you downloaded and read The Motorhome Buyers Guide that Jim wrote? Lots of sound advice. Secondly, if you're going to the Lincoln Show, collar as many Funsters as you can and ask questions and then stand back and wait for the info flood ... ;)

Steve
Will do that right now.

How do I recognise a Funster? Perhaps I shouldn’t ask that one 🤣

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
Looked at a couple of these in passing… blown away by them to be honest, but they are very large, and quite pricey. £35k for an 04 plate Burstner. Inside was like a palace, but, just… large…
Not all are huge! 22 feet is nice size!

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I would walk away,there will be plenty on the market soon as it's nearing the end of the season.if you do go back again check your damp Meyer along the lower walls ,under the side seats and if you can at the junction between the roof ,front cab and sidewall.
If they can't be bothered to clean the van up to sell ,I would doubt they would be that interested in repairing any issues on an aftersale issue.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T
Sep 10, 2021
North Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 999M
Exp
Super Newbie
Have you been to any dealers’ showrooms….? I know that you’ll pay more with their markup, but you’ll also usually get some sort of warranty - and you will be able to see more than one van……… (y) :unsure:
Yeah, I think we’ll keep doing this. Spent a fun hour or so at Camper UK in Lincoln yesterday afternoon, very impressed by them and their warranty is very appealing. They have their own workshop, etc. Was up to Doncaster yesterday morning and got a look at some layouts we liked, then over to Hull today for another dealer. Looks like we’ll be back to Lincoln and Newark next weekend… never been out so much since pre-covid!

Upvote 0

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Will do that right now.

How do I recognise a Funster? Perhaps I shouldn’t ask that one 🤣
3 heads for all the knowedge ... :LOL: :unsure:

I think there will be a MHF Tent or similar. Failing that there are Funsters who will be staying over at the Show. And you can always post a 'Anyone visiting who I can chat to about Motorhomes' message/appeal and then use PM facility to make contact details. Also there's Polly & Dave's Rally at Rose & Crown Campsite at Holbeach Hurn from 30th Sep to 4th October [think there are still some vacancies]. Possibly a more relaxed period without 'Show pressures' to be able to speak to Funsters and get the verbal details in 5 minutes that would take an evening of posting messages back and forth.

Good luck!

Steve

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T
Sep 10, 2021
North Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 999M
Exp
Super Newbie
I would walk away,there will be plenty on the market soon as it's nearing the end of the season.if you do go back again check your damp Meyer along the lower walls ,under the side seats and if you can at the junction between the roof ,front cab and sidewall.
If they can't be bothered to clean the van up to sell ,I would doubt they would be that interested in repairing any issues on an aftersale issue.
Well, it was a private sale via a broker, so perhaps the worst of both worlds. No chance of speaking to the owners, and no warranty or dealer comeback! We will avoid this type of sale from now on I think.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Our problem is we don’t know what a budget van is or not, so any suggestions would be warmly welcome. We could push to 40k if needed.

Our process has been - watch random YouTube videos, go to a few sales rooms / sites.

We use autotrader and search for what we think we want, then do a general Google search for each van, note payloads, and bump into the odd forum post warning about random things to look for, like reversing judders!

Our next serious viewing is a Swift Sundance 630L on Tuesday,

We’re going to the Lincoln show in a couple of weeks, it’s quite local to us, so maybe that will narrow down our search a little, but we’re finding it quite an effort so far.
It sounds as though you are focused on British conversions at the moment - nothing wrong with that.

But consider having a look at some German and French brands. :unsure:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T
Sep 10, 2021
North Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 999M
Exp
Super Newbie
3 heads for all the knowedge ... :LOL: :unsure:

I think there will be a MHF Tent or similar. Failing that there are Funsters who will be staying over at the Show. And you can always post a 'Anyone visiting who I can chat to about Motorhomes' message/appeal and then use PM facility to make contact details. Also there's Polly & Dave's Rally at Rose & Crown Campsite at Holbeach Hurn from 30th Sep to 4th October [think there are still some vacancies]. Possibly a more relaxed period without 'Show pressures' to be able to speak to Funsters and get the verbal details in 5 minutes that would take an evening of posting messages back and forth.

Good luck!

Steve
Love this idea! I’ll drop a post down. I have plenty of beer money 🙂

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back