flightradar24 (1 Viewer)

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I'm not at all knowledgeable on anything aviation but I do enjoy looking at the flightradar24 site quite often.

Their new feature shows the 5 flights that are currently being tracked by the most people. For example right now most people are following an RAF hercules making circles above St. Andrews.

What is so interesting about these flights? I get that military aircraft might get a bit of interest but sometimes there are 500+ people following a passenger flight to Hamburg or some such. Why is that?

Anyone smarter than me know much about this?

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I find it interesting to see what’s thundering over us or off the coast. We get a lot of Coningsby traffic at night during the week.
It’s not often you see much military traffic at the weekends. It must be special training to put up a C1300 Herky Bird on a Saturday.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Talking aviation a twin engined WW2 RAF aircraft with D day stripped markings flew over Shrewsbury this afternoon, it was about the size of a Dakota, could have been a Blenheim or Beufighter, any ideas.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
And my wife thinks I'm a sad nastid because I sit up at night watching UPS and DHL:LOL:

mood hiding GIF by Carlotta Notaro

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Id iamagine the more folk and a plane the more folk watching flight radar, family, friends, pick up chuaffers etc

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
The BBMF have been flying there DC3 a lot with the Lancaster being out of service. Last time I saw it there were D Day stripes on it.
When I was watching the C130 I noticed an RAF Beech . It flew from Luchars down to Waddington.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
The BBMF have been flying there DC3 a lot with the Lancaster being out of service. Last time I saw it there were D Day stripes on it.
When I was watching the C130 I noticed an RAF Beech . It flew from Luchars down to Waddington.
Its one of these

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I find it interesting to see what’s thundering over us or off the coast. We get a lot of Coningsby traffic at night during the week.
It’s not often you see much military traffic at the weekends. It must be special training to put up a C1300 Herky Bird on a Saturday.
Yes, I live in Holton le Clay and always follow what is going on overhead with the military traffic. Lots of exercises on at the moment

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
No definitely not a DC3, I think it was a Blenheim but there is only 1 in the world still flying and I think it's based at Duxford.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I stand corrected regarding the DC3. It’s a while since I have been to Duxford but I know the Blenheim was airworthy. I think there’s was re built to the short nose recently.
They were re building a Beufighter but I am not sure if that was for static display or to flight. From a distance I suppose they are a similar shape.
We used to go to Duxford and Wadington for air shows but it became so busy you couldnt get to the stalls. The RAF fleet has changed a lot. It dosnt seem long ago that Wadington had the early AWACS in there air display.
Maybe Duxford would be some were to add to our visits list. Maybe better when it’s not an air show day.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Talking aviation a twin engined WW2 RAF aircraft with D day stripped markings flew over Shrewsbury this afternoon, it was about the size of a Dakota, could have been a Blenheim or Beufighter, any ideas.
I think it could well have been the BBMF Dakota.
She is in D Day colours and was at RAF Cosford yesterday for cadets day.

Richard.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
A guy that worked for my father was on Wellingtons and Whitly bombers during the war. He said the Whitley had only one good point. There was metal rather than canvas between himself and the German fighters.
He was based in Pembrokeshire with costal command.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Getting back to Flight Radar 24.
A friend of mine living in the USA said it was strange to see no flights during the pandemic. It reminded him of 9-11 when flights were grounded.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
See this is the kind of stuff that makes me wish I knew more about it....

Screenshot 2021-09-12 22.29.42.png

Not long left the sky above Liverpool, no idea where it's heading but originated from Kuwait.

I'm sure it's a routine flight with a perfectly legitimate reason to be there but there's a lot of people following it on FR24 so it peaks my interest.

Anyone know anything about it? Like who owns it? What's it carrying? What size of shoe does the captain wear?

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I have just spotted a Chipmunk heading south oover the Lincolnshire Wolds. It looks to have started from Topclife possibly heading for Coningsby. BBMF had one to training pilots for tail wheel aircraft it could be that one.
I flew in Chipmunks during my time in the ATC from Wodvale and on summer camps at RAF Wyton and Abingdon.

Jun 13, 2021
Leeds, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120 low-line
Exp
Autumn 2020
In the first few months of lockdown I was regularly tracking RAF globemasters out of brise norton, the were practicing coming into land at all the quiet commercial airports, going around 4 or 5 times then moving onto the next location

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I
Here’s my trace for Friday before last heading upto the LAA rally at Sywell Northampton,
I cannot get away with anything now the wife is always watching :(

I've got an amazing trip coming up.... Flight to Scilly isles and back via superyacht to Portsmouth I your interested.....

I've asked the same thing in the superyacht forums to see if there are any takers.

Please bring your plane.....!

Cheers James

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I have always been plane crazy - or is that plain crazy?? - and spend too much time watching FR24. Have you found the communication balloons in Africa?

My latest addiction is the Missionary Bush Pilot on YouTube. The airstrips he lands on in Papua New Guinea are just mental!
Yup, is that the aircraft that supply internet to places that are pretty much off the grid?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back