Free Member
Mar 29, 2011
llandudno. North Wales
Funster No
MH
hymer Swift 544
Exp
1 year
OK all you long timers. We are off to The Netherlands in a couple of weeks, never done it by Motorhome before so really need all your expert tips and good places to go. We just want to tour around for 3 weeks, no set routes or anything, just hang out and chill and sightsee.:ROFLMAO:
So please can you let me have your good ideas and places you have been too. Can you email me or are we not allowed to do that:cry:anna.tandy@gmail.com lets try and see.

\perhaps we could get a travel forum going so that we can see where all members have been and can pick there brains on good and bad sites and problems? By country and town etc????:thumb:

May 8, 2010
South Wales
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam T-Line785
Exp
since 2009
Wassenar - lovely town, catch bus to The Hague or from the Hague train to Amsterdam - fab

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We just want to tour around for 3 weeks,

3 weeks !

Apart from museums or red lights, the rest, in my humble opinion, is either flat or wet.

Give the Netherlands a week and move into Germany via Valkenberg, go down the Rhine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I agree. 3 weeks is a bit much. Some of the Coastal towns are nice for a day. Couple of days ok for Amsterdam. Holland is a bit sterile for me. I worked and lived there a while so maybe that's why. Ok if you like very flat sceneless cycling I guess with the odd windmill or huge glass greenhouses. Just my opinion. :Doh:

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We were there for 10 days this summer and had a really nice time. We particularly liked Allurepark Laage Kanje near Utrecht which is in the ACSI book and therefore 15E per night out of season.
It is near a big man made lake with white sand beaches.
We enjoy cycling so it was ideal for us as we could get around by bike everywhere once we arrived at a site and the distances between sites in the motorhome are not huge.
I think 3 weeks would be a long time to spend in the Netherlands so you might want to mix it with another country.
Incidentally the fruit, veg, dairy produce and beer were all fantastic.
Enjoy!

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
Oh boy, Three weeks a bit long..................:cry:

I lived her for more than 62 years :Eeek::Blush:

If you tell us what things you like to do/visit and what sort of overnight stays you want, we might be able to give you some hints.

Will not answer you using EMail, others might be interested to know as well, so i guess its better to keep it on the forum

Paul and Ineke

Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Wassenar - lovely town, catch bus to The Hague or from the Hague train to Amsterdam - fab
Stopped for a week in Wassenar last year (Duinrell),we had a superb time visiting Delph ,the coastal towns Noordwick,Scevinganinganinganam as my daughter called it etc. also Leiden ,Amsterdam,Gouda,Edam,Volundam,Marken,Nijmegan,Arnham,plenty to do for quite a few weeks love the place.
Best cycling country on the planet

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
With all due respect to Onderweg, there has to be a reason why every country in Europe is full of Dutch people in motorhomes and caravans!

We have tried staying in Holland a few times en-route, some pretty spots but its always wet and very flat.

Good raods, though, so its a good country to travel through. We usually manage it in about 3 hours rather than 3 weeks!

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Head South towards the Linburg region and stay at Valkenburg for a couple of days. There is a camp site right in the centre of the Town and you can get a bus or Train to Aachen in Germany and Masstrict. Try and get to the point where 3 countries meet, Holland, Belguim and Germany.

Have a good trip

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Almere Haven has 4 motorhome designated parking's right on the harbour with bars restaurants etc,all around you.
Lovely watching all the boats coming and going. The only downside is that unfortunately Holland has become quite expensive now because of the euro.
As said dont miss Volendam.Am sure you will enjoy your trip but it is a bit late in the year for good weather.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Agree with an ealier post Limburg has some stunning scenery. Maasricht is a very quaint town despite its connection to EU summits etc. Look around local villages such as Wijlre and Gulpen for excellent camp sites and if you want to stray into Germany or Belgium you're close to both borders Another place we enjoyed was Giethoorn - the Venice of the Netherlands - thatched roofed houses only accessible by small canals. Though we've never been, some of the islands in the North Sea especially Texel are very quiet if that's your thing. Finally dont forget the old favs such as Amsterdam, Vollendam, Valkenburg and if youre into WW2 the area around Nijmegen is very interesting. If you dont like the 'land above the drain' head south to Limburg, you'll be pleasantly surprised.:Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Oh boy, Three weeks a bit long............
Paul and Ineke

Oops. No offence intended. I did quite a lot of work all over the Netherlands, years ago so took my wife on holiday, hired a boat for a week, toured. Fell in love with Valkenberg, much impressed with Amsterdam, but we ended up overdosed on flat and water.

Some of your attempts at temporarily holding back the waters is staggering. Iesselmere ?

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Have stayed here on a few occasions, the area and villeges are lovely a real good mix of water cycle paths towns and villages.:thumb:

Link Removed

roger buckley

Free Member
Apr 16, 2009
northants
Funster No
MH
hymer c class
Exp
since 2007
:Smile: We were at the Delftse Hout site at Delft two weeks ago,which we can recommend!

Best
Roger

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
3 weeks !

Apart from museums or red lights, the rest, in my humble opinion, is either flat or wet.

Give the Netherlands a week and move into Germany via Valkenberg, go down the Rhine.

For Netherlands read Norfolk !!:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
Hi Ellabella

Too bad you have not yet given any details about your planning, likes and dislikes

Therefore i will give you some details about predifined routes for riding a bike. The webpages below are in Dutch :cry: tried to incorporate GoogleTranslate into the links but when i did many of the innerlinks didnt work

Trips by bicycle:
The bottum link presents you all the roads and paths in the Netherlands which are very suitable to use. When you open this link you will be on the Planner tab. If you look in the bottom right corner you will see the button "Legenda" if you click on it it will open the legenda for you :ROFLMAO:
But the second tab is called Locaties. When you select that tab it will offer you the possibility to add special items to the map like Mills, Lighthouses, campings and so on.
(Camper places are not mentioned :Eeek:)​
I would strongly recommend to select at least the box mentioning "VVV" this stands for the National Tourist Assosiaton Shops of which more than 300 are spread all over the country. It is the place to go for information.

If you use the planner for planning a route with your bike, please keep in mind this planner can only use the bicycle "LF-Network" (Nation wide) or Link Removed (Regional) But there are many many more possibilties :thumb:

By the way, wildcamping is an abosolute NoNo in the Netherlands, fines are given immediately !!. There are camperplaces though, for most of them you have to pay about Euro 5-10 and and a few are free (i only know three free of charge :Blush:, but there might be more)

Paul and Ineke

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back