LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
Has anyone fitted a dedicated 5G mobile broadband system to their Moho, a fixed aerial and Router. I am looking to fit the 5G Pro Flex system from Motorhome Wifi. Has anyone got this system or something similar 5G fitted in their Moho?

Feb 5, 2016
South Wales UK
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XLB
Exp
8 years
I’m having the 5G aerial from them fitted soon, but am holding off on the 5G router for the time being. Logic being that 5G isn’t that widespread at the moment so routers are expensive and will probably only pick up 4g as coverage is mainly in city’s. When it becomes more widely available I can easily swap the router for a 5G at a lot cheaper cost, and the aerial will already be ready.

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
I went for the 5G ready but with the flex router! Pleased so far. We are mostly in rural places so think this will suffice for a while.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Lorryman100

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
I can see where you are coming from reference the router. I currently have a 5g iPhone on EE and everywhere we have been so far including CL's have shown 5G coverage on my phone. I think 5G is more widespread than I originally thought. Though I will take your point onboard ref the router as the cost will come down as the network spreads.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Looks like they are selling 5G ready.

Probably fine if you are just starting off and have nothing or a very old 2/3G setup.

My mifi is about two years old 4G and I was having a lot of connection problems. I narrowed that down to Gadget John’s suggested antenna, which he has since replaced with a later model. Some research showed his original suggestion was Micky Mouse (you learn). So I have just invested in a Poynting antenna following more detailed research. This antenna only is 5G ready but works for 3G and 4G as well.

I did not upgrade everything because of the cost and the actual unavailability of 5G where we park up. 5G is available in so few places it’s financially not viable to upgrade working 4G kit at present.

Because of that lack of availability of 5G you may struggle to get a lot of advice.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
I told my son I was considering fitting MiFi in the van and he's offered to lend me one of these on long term loan, as he bought it for a project, and now doesn't need it.
It's a bit of overkill, but should be an interesting exercise.

NETGEAR Nighthawk M5 Mobile 5G Router With Sim Slot Unlocked (MR5200) - Ultrafast 5G | Connect Up to 32 Devices | Mobile wifi router | Mifi Device Amazon product ASIN B08HWRYVH5

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I work on projects that use 5G. We are trialling 5G kit. At the moment there is little benefit over 4G. The masts are using 5G frequencies, but all the new toys that make 5G lower latency and allow more connections (and marginally faster) aren't supported yet. It's just 4G in shiny wrapping paper at the moment. Some of the features aren't even finalised yet, so hardware that's out now might not provide full features in the future.

Personally I'd probably spend a little extra to get a 5G antenna to avoid drilling another hole in the roof in 3 years time. But I wouldn't bother buying a 5G modem yet.

CutThroatJake

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2020
Bolton
Funster No
MH
HYMER B890 MLi
Exp
Learning
We have had the Motorhome WiFi 5G Pro Flex system along with an unlimited data EE SIM card fitted into our new MH and so far it’s been fantastic…not cheap but would definitely recommend👍🏻

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I told my son I was considering fitting MiFi in the van and he's offered to lend me one of these on long term loan, as he bought it for a project, and now doesn't need it.

NETGEAR Nighthawk M5 Mobile 5G Router With Sim Slot Unlocked (MR5200) - Ultrafast 5G | Connect Up to 32 Devices | Mobile wifi router | Mifi Device Amazon product ASIN B08HWRYVH5
I have the M2 and it's never let me down whether browsing or streaming football, movies, TV programmes etc and would highly recommend it. At the price the M5 is and IF it will be used to mainly watch TV, then the discussion of whether it's cheaper to have a satellite dish rather than a probably over specced very expensive router starts to tip back towards a dish

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
As I’ve been doubly vaccinated, got 5G twice. Thanks Mr Gates!😂

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
I'd not go for 5G if I hadn't been offered it free. As you say, it will probably only be used for 4G
i would pay you twice as much as you paid to have it on long term loan if you dont want it ...... :rolleyes: ..... you son prob wouldnt be happy though!!!

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
I have the M2 and it's never let me down whether browsing or streaming football, movies, TV programmes etc and would highly recommend it. At the price the M5 is and IF it will be used to mainly watch TV, then the discussion of whether it's cheaper to have a satellite dish rather than a probably over specced very expensive router starts to tip back towards a dish
Its original use was to control a remote robot over 5G - not streaming movies.

“Perfecting the real-time movement of the arm was unbelievably tricky. With the shoot happening in such remote locations it was essential the movement was right. It had to be believable and that came from it moving like a human. It’s a matter of detail. Very subtle but unmistakably human nuances. It’s actually very easy to tell the difference between a computer controlled robot and one being mapped in real-time to a human. At one point I could see the arm moving up and down gently and panicked that the data was drifting, until I realised it was the person in control breathing while holding the blade still. It was amazing, and that level of accuracy really paid off.”
Noel Drew, Technical Director at The Mill

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
What did you expect, he is the expert on how not to do a job.

It’s best not to take anything that bodger suggests as serious advice .
The mans a liability.
Yes, I did say lesson learned. Unfortunately the bodges had not been mentioned at that time and I had not seen his first diesel heater video.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Its original use was to control a remote robot over 5G - not streaming movies.

Noel Drew, Technical Director at The Mill
Lower latency is one of the features of 5G. The other big one is it supports far more devices per tower... which is the main reason mobile network operators will want to phase out older technologies. But yeah, the bandwidth improvements to reach device are pretty low.

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
I have the Maxview 4G with a Smarty unlimited SIM, works really well for us, kids on pads, disabled daughter watches TV with a Amazon Frestick, can all be done on the move and suits us. Not tried 5G yet. We also have an Oyster satellite dish and on rare occasions have had to use it as no signal.

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012

This is the one I have with a 5G roof mounted MIMO antenna from Panorama. It's speed is frightening! Even on the Isle of Arran USB tethered to the laptop the download speed was 1.7Gbps.

It's better and arguably cheaper than the BT Halo3+ we have at home.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back