Camper 770 update issues via Garmin Express or WiFi (1 Viewer)

SteveJ

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 30, 2018
March, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 620
Exp
Since 2013
In case those of you with a Garmin Camper are having issues updating the maps etc via Garmin Express there is an issue at the Garmin end.
Not sure exactly which models are effected but it does appear to be certain 770s and certain 780s.
The standard "Sorry, we're having issues communicating with our servers" error message displays when trying to determine if there are any updates via Garmin Express (I know Express is working fine as I am able to update my Nuvi, and the same error is displayed when trying on 2 other PCs).
If you try to update directly from the device via WiFi you will get the standard "Cannot communicate with the update server. Try installing updates later" error.
Garmin updated the EN-GB website a few weeks ago and since then they have been experiencing a number of issues. Links within support documents not working, or pointing to a totally irrelevant sub document, updates to various Garmin wearables, Marine and Auto Sat Navs, and the email submission link from their Support Contact page not actually sending any emails.
I have supplied them with logs and an XML file and they are continuing to investigate. They have promised to come back to me when they have resolved the issue. I will update when things appear to be back operational.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I must have just done mine in time, updated last week đź‘Ť

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
SteveJ

SteveJ

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 30, 2018
March, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 620
Exp
Since 2013
Had some communication with Garmin support a couple of weeks ago, there is still a problem with a number of devices and it appears they are concentrating efforts on newer devices first. I did a clean Garmin Express installation on my laptop, after doing a totally clean Windows install as all Garmin apps don't uninstall cleanly and leave a ton of registry keys, and the error is still happening with my 770.

Jul 27, 2020
lancashire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
ive been onto garmin help , but just kept getting palmed off ,so i by passed them and emailed one of the top bosses.got a reply saying there looking into my case,,,i wont hold my breath...

Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
Revo Uninstaller (Run as Admin) to do a full uninstall and deletion of the related registry and other files for Garmin Express, then a reinstall of the latest Garmin Express seems to have fixed device recognition and "cannot download update" problems for me on at least two occasions. I also note that the WiFi updates direct from the device work OK but on one occasion when I tried it said there were no updates and when I tried Garmin Express it said there was!

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Garmin 770 , if I was rich I’d throw it in the bin after today’s fiasco. Just about to send them a mapping route complaint.

Jul 27, 2020
lancashire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
well ive just had a reply from garmin.and there saying my sat nav wont down load up dates because its a counterfiet device...had it three years now so no receipt to prove i bought it from a main dealer......so in other words IM SCREWED.....:mad::mad:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
well ive just had a reply from garmin.and there saying my sat nav wont down load up dates because its a counterfiet device...had it three years now so no receipt to prove i bought it from a main dealer......so in other words IM SCREWED.....:mad::mad:
Have you tried putting your serial number in here to see what it comes back with?

Can you check bank \ credit card statements as they should suffice for proof.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
thanks for that...dosnt reconize serial number looks like ive been done over....you live n learn...thanks for that (y)
If its any consolation mine is legit and I now hate it. Whoever sold you it has probably done you a favour. :LOL: Put it down to experience and buy something more reliable.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
If its any consolation mine is legit and I now hate it. Whoever sold you it has probably done you a favour. :LOL: Put it down to experience and buy something more reliable.
Our bin's just been emptied so plenty of space for it!(y) And, no, I'm not going to help you on the "if I was rich" bit!:whistle2:;):giggle:

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Have you tried putting your serial number in here to see what it comes back with?

Can you check bank \ credit card statements as they should suffice for proof.
Bank & Credit Card Statements should be available for at least the last 6 years, but the Bank may need a couple of weeks to trace the transaction. Emphasise the potential/suspected fraud element.Perhaps worth phoning Bank up first so that the right Enquiry Form for the Right Department can be sent by the Bank [and a Ref Number generated?] to cut down any redirection time delays

Steve

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Have to say, we have three Garmin units, motorbike, car and camper, all work perfectly well.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Have to say, we have three Garmin units, motorbike, car and camper, all work perfectly well.
I think the mapping is awful! Not at all reliable.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Not in my experience, as accurate as any app I've experimented with.. and as good as Google Maps, though not as detailed concerning some minor tracks/trails.

If any of the units or the mapping were awful, I'd change in a heartbeat... but mine are not, so I'll keep them.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Agreed. It's the blasé way that Ms Garmin instructs you to e.g.'turn right' when it's a 'No Entry' or the main road sign says to turn left, and when you turn left, she doesn't issue a 'make a U turn' command, or recalculates the route, she just continues as though the error never occurred! The Rally at the Falkirk Wheel was a case in point; that succession of islands a couple of miles after leaving the M9 had damn great signs every 400m or so, pointing in one direction, each signposted Falkirk Wheel, yet Ms Garmin was determined that I should drive in the opposite direction ... Perhaps you'd given her that Glasgow Doorman's £20 note [before it became a COVID Passport ...] to keep us away :unsure:? But we got there anyway ... :LOL:

Steve & Elaine

OP
OP
SteveJ

SteveJ

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 30, 2018
March, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 620
Exp
Since 2013
You may want to try updating your 770s with the latest version of Garmin Express. I have had a problem ticket open with Garmin for the past 8 months due to my 770 failing to update either via Wireless or using Express. I was updating my Nuvi at the weekend and thought I would give the 770 another go with the latest version of Express and it finally worked like a charm. It will also correctly connect via wireless for updates now. So looks like the issue may have been resolved, not that Garmin have ever gotten back to me about it.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
You may want to try updating your 770s with the latest version of Garmin Express. I have had a problem ticket open with Garmin for the past 8 months due to my 770 failing to update either via Wireless or using Express. I was updating my Nuvi at the weekend and thought I would give the 770 another go with the latest version of Express and it finally worked like a charm. It will also correctly connect via wireless for updates now. So looks like the issue may have been resolved, not that Garmin have ever gotten back to me about it.
Believe there was an issue on their servers with their software not interfacing correctly with a file (GarminDevice.xml?) on your sat nav device. Believe this "mismatch" was fixed on their servers as opposed to an Express update fixing the user's device.
As you say, they took their time about it! I had been raising it since last September against my 760 Camper.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Had the same problem today before and after updating Express. I am not sure that it likes working with Safari very much and the solution seemed to be to ignore the message about not being able to reach the server and keep rebooting the app until it gave in and started updating my 770. Obviously tempting fate now to say that there is 10 minutes to go but I'm hopeful it has worked , , ,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back