Macro photography (1 Viewer)

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Just ordered a Loawa 100m Macro lens for my R5, has anyone else used this lens?

I couldn’t justify £1499 for the Canon lens so £420 for S/H Loawa which has had rave reviews.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
This from the BBC News today is one hell of a macro shot!
Trouble is, the thing is deadly...

mosquito.jpg

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
Do we know if the folically challenged person is still alive though?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Due to circumstances I haven’t had a chance to use my Loawa yet but I will be taking it with me up to The Outer Hebrides, the Machiar may still have some fantastic wild flowers.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I stopped dragging my DSLR plus associated lenses around when I bought the Huawei P20 Pro just over 3 years ago. The AI on the Huawei was very good and, for the quality of my photography, perfectly acceptable. Then the US security embargo began to bite, followed by the phone starting to come unstuck [literally!] as the body began to separate and assume a banana shape. Phone finally died in late July and I bought a cheap Nokia 10, but, compared to Elaine's Samsung S21 Ultra, the camera is on the wrong side of a Premier League v. Non League equivalent quality with very limited functionality [not surprising given the price difference; you do get what you pay for!]

Long story short; I shall have to dust off the Nikon and get some practice shots to remember the best settings to use. At least I can take the full kit away with us in Brunhilde and just take the required lens for that morning's walk ... Unlike my large camera bag, fully loaded, that prompted a fellow passenger to stand back from my Sherpa Tensing impression and ask where my camping kettle was ... :LOL:

Steve

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I stopped dragging my DSLR plus associated lenses around when I bought the Huawei P20 Pro just over 3 years ago. The AI on the Huawei was very good and, for the quality of my photography, perfectly acceptable. Then the US security embargo began to bite, followed by the phone starting to come unstuck [literally!] as the body began to separate and assume a banana shape. Phone finally died in late July and I bought a cheap Nokia 10, but, compared to Elaine's Samsung S21 Ultra, the camera is on the wrong side of a Premier League v. Non League equivalent quality with very limited functionality [not surprising given the price difference; you do get what you pay for!]

Long story short; I shall have to dust off the Nikon and get some practice shots to remember the best settings to use. At least I can take the full kit away with us in Brunhilde and just take the required lens for that morning's walk ... Unlike my large camera bag, fully loaded, that prompted a fellow passenger to stand back from my Sherpa Tensing impression and ask where my camping kettle was ... :LOL:

Steve
I am always amazed when I see photographers weighed down with the weight of a Lowepro bag full of lenses etc and a tripod in their hand looking for wildlife or doing landscape work. I would be very surprised if they got a decent photo, as they would take too long deciding what lens to use.
I take 1 body 1 lens and spare batteries, having decided what I want to shoot and have a picture I want to shoot in my head. So many togs end up fed up and disheartened and knackered.Preplan and enjoy.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I am always amazed when I see photographers weighed down with the weight of a Lowepro bag full of lenses etc and a tripod in their hand looking for wildlife or doing landscape work. I would be very surprised if they got a decent photo, as they would take too long deciding what lens to use.
I take 1 body 1 lens and spare batteries, having decided what I want to shoot and have a picture I want to shoot in my head. So many togs end up fed up and disheartened and knackered.Preplan and enjoy.
No planning, just get to the front of the boat ... Well, apart from a plea to Elaine to hang on to my bag!

SteveDSC_0058 (2) [Desktop Resolution].jpgDSC_0059 (3) [Desktop Resolution].jpgDSC_0060 (2) [Desktop Resolution].jpg

Phil89a

Free Member
Apr 22, 2021
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SPB
Exp
As someone who lugs a bag full of kit and tripod around a lot; just have to say us togs will get a decent photo if the Photographic Gods are in a good mood; which is not that often :LOL: For example - see my site PhilCorleyPhoto

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
Caravanning since 1980, saw the light in 2020
As someone who lugs a bag full of kit and tripod around a lot; just have to say us togs will get a decent photo if the Photographic Gods are in a good mood; which is not that often :LOL: For example - see my site PhilCorleyPhoto
Just had a look on your website Phil89a some beautiful work on there👍

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
You carry on lugging your kit about, you obviously know what your doing, really beautiful images on your site. Be honest though how many lens do you use on a typical landscape shoot? 2 ? Assuming you have zooms

Phil89a

Free Member
Apr 22, 2021
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SPB
Exp
Be honest though how many lens do you use on a typical landscape shoot? 2 ? Assuming you have zooms

if I am shooting woodlands; it will generally be 1 lens (24-105mm). Mountains or seascapes will be 2 lenses 16-35mm and 100-400mm. if I am just out for a wander to see what takes my eye, all three lenses.

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
if I am shooting woodlands; it will generally be 1 lens (24-105mm). Mountains or seascapes will be 2 lenses 16-35mm and 100-400mm. if I am just out for a wander to see what takes my eye, all three lenses.
For me 24-105m or 100-500m it’s rare that my 16-35m gets an airing, though I should start using it more.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I gave up lugging a Canon outfit and lenses etc and settled for a bridge camera Sony RX10 3 which I hardly use as my trusty Sony Cyber shot DSC WX350 is always on my belt clip and hardly know it’s there .

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I gave up lugging a Canon outfit and lenses etc and settled for a bridge camera Sony RX10 3 which I hardly use as my trusty Sony Cyber shot DSC WX350 is always on my belt clip and hardly know it’s there .
Stopped taking my Canon stuff after realising I'd taken but not used it for a couple of years just my phone. I do miss my macro lenses.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Stopped taking my Canon stuff after realising I'd taken but not used it for a couple of years just my phone. I do miss my macro lenses.
The little Sony is quite good on macro shots not as good as the larger camera but with a little one it’s always there so no excuse to miss a shot.

Phil89a

Free Member
Apr 22, 2021
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SPB
Exp
To me, it’s not photography if the camera isn’t on a tripod and the composition doesn’t take at least 5 mins to fine tune - silly but true 🤪🤪

Jul 8, 2021
Gosport
Funster No
MH
Swift RIO 310
Exp
since 2021
I will be lugging a full bag of canon kit (R5 and heavy lenses) to Gigrin Farm in Wales this weekend to photograph red kites. i am also taking a Sony RX10 mkIV which is a much more compact camera with a huge zoom range just to see how it copes. I was at Portland Bill on Monday photographing the Milky way.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I will be lugging a full bag of canon kit (R5 and heavy lenses) to Gigrin Farm in Wales this weekend to photograph red kites. i am also taking a Sony RX10 mkIV which is a much more compact camera with a huge zoom range just to see how it copes. I was at Portland Bill on Monday photographing the Milky way.
Oh I didn’t know it was there at the moment :giggler:

Jul 8, 2021
Gosport
Funster No
MH
Swift RIO 310
Exp
since 2021
Gigrin Farm was fun and the caravan and camping club site is very close. For anyone who hasn't seen 100+ red kites feedin at once it is well worth a visit. The staff are all very nice even protecting my greyhound from the obligatory ginger farm tomcat! \they serve a good cup of coffee and cake too.
red kite by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
RedKite by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
Red Kite by Gordon Ford, on Flickr

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Seeing this thread has just got me to give myself a hard kick up the butt as I've been into photography since 1980 including almost 7 years self employed and for 4 years I've hardly had my gear out of the bag.
To be fair to myself apart from working a 50 hour week, we were both looking after my late father-in-law. I'm now newly retired but have mobility issues, so hiking up over the mountains ain't an option! I've got some lovely Nikon gear including a Nikon AF-S VR Macro NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED which I bought to do some jewellery photography for a client. I've used it for nothing else. :whistle2:

Time to slow down and start to enjoy life. I'll need to re-learn how to use Photoshop. I was asked to do something simple for a work colleague last year and a job which should have taken a few minutes took over 3 hours not having used the software for 4 years :doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back