Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Not having an upto date sky viewing card and refusing to pay £20 to watch channel 5 (Big Brother for the Missus)! I stumbled across this and sure it must be of use to others so here goes. I've tried it and it worked first time!! Let me know if you have sucess.

On the Sky box go to Services > System Setup > Add Channels
Enter the following details:
Frequency: 10773MHz (10.773GHz)
Polarity: Horizontal
Symbol rate: 22000 (22.0Mb)
FEC: 5/6
Go to Find Channels, highlight “Five″, and press the yellow button(to store the channel), then press Select.
To view channel 5 you have to go to Services > Other Channels, and select “Five″

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Some Sky boxes will not allow you to access "other channels" unless you have a Sky card.
And most new sky boxes come with "parental controls" enables, and require a PIN from a sky card to access "other channels" or to turn off the parental controls.

(The frequency for the FTA version of five was mentioned here Link Removed over 18 months ago...)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
If you have no intention of paying to watch Sky again, do yourself a favour and buy a Freesat box, no more fannying about, plug an play with auto tuning, just tell it your post code and it's sorted :thumb:

I have a Bush £29.99 from Argos ..

Freesat Channel list

http://www.freesat.co.uk/what-you-get/our-channels

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
At home done both boxes with £20 card.

Got free sat at home to.

For the van I have got a 12 volt pacebox and doing this has given me channel 5 and I A OVER THE MOON partly cos I id something technical.

On the forum where I got this load have done it successfully.

At the end of the day just a bit of advice:winky:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BTW I can tune in a sky box easier than I can a freesat box.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
[HI]For the van I have got a 12 volt pacebox[/HI] and doing this has given me channel 5 and I A OVER THE MOON partly cos I id something technical.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[HI]
BTW I can tune in a sky box easier than I can a freesat box[/HI].

ah.. if you said this in your first post I would have stayed stume..

I don't think you have a Freesat box if it's hard to tune.. it really is plug and play.

Don't confuse Freesat (the boxes have the name Freesat on them) with a 'free to view' box which requires manual tuning..

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
If you have no intention of paying to watch Sky again, do yourself a favour and buy a Freesat box, no more fannying about, plug an play with auto tuning, just tell it your post code and it's sorted :thumb:

I have a Bush £29.99 from Argos ..

Freesat Channel list

http://www.freesat.co.uk/what-you-get/our-channels

Hi Jim, does these freesat work in France...and if yes how far down in France...

Mel

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim, does these freesat work in France...and if yes how far down in France...

Mel

Yes, but depends where you are...

more info here, footprint map and FAQs http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/freesatfaq.html

I'm outside the UK. Can I get Freesat?

Freesat is intended for the UK only. When you first connect a Freesat receiver, you're prompted for a valid UK postcode, but as the box has no data connection back to a control centre, there's no way that the satellite knows where you are.

Astra 2D footprintThe signal from the satellites that broadcast Freesat can be received outside of the UK. In theory, if you have a suitably-sized dish pointing at the Astra 2 satellites at 28.2° east and Eurobird 1 satellite situated at 28.5° east, with a clear line-of-site, you may well be able to get Freesat.

It's worth noting that many of the channels are on the Astra 2D satellite, which has a smaller footprint and is much harder to receive outside of the UK. Pictured to the right is the footprint of the Astra 2D satellite.

We're a UK site, and can't offer much in the way of advice on how to get Freesat elsewhere in Europe. We have some more information on our UK TV Abroad page, otherwise, if you want more help or advice, we suggest you ask in our Freesat forum

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Freesat is available over all of Europe, even on an smaller 80cm dish.

However, some CHANNELS on Freesat will need bigger dishes for reception. As the main UK TV channels are on Astra 2d, and Astra 2s signal footprint is focued on the UK, supposably for "Uk reception only", gets weaker the farther south you go in Europe. YEt some channels can be received on small *80cm) dishes as the channels for UK TV are spread over 4 (soon 45( satellites, and those satellites have 7 "uk" beams, and each beam has its won differnet reception characteristics.

All Freesat is is a name on a box and an EPG, and that EPG is easily available.

Not all FTA channels available are on the Freesat EPG - for example, Sky news is FTA, but is not on the Freesat EPG - so you manually tune it into "non freesat mode"

by the way...changes to BBC News and their other "south beam" channels, which are moving to astra 2d, may mean that you will no longer be able to access the BBC Sports streams via BBC NEws 3001 trick from end of september on "smaller dishes" in extreme fringe reception areas (like the Costa in Spain).....but "fta" receiver should still be OK, but you will need to rescan...

more http://www.satandpcguy.com/forum/sh...on-frequency-changes-in-September-and-October

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
All Freesat is is a name on a box and an EPG, and that EPG is easily available.

Are you saying the EPG can be installed in any satellite receiver ?

If so, I have two bog standard boxes .. bought in Spain as it happens.. where would I find the Freesat EPG and how would I install it ? Or is it only available to the 'trade'

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Are you saying the EPG can be installed in any satellite receiver ?

If so, I have two bog standard boxes .. bought in Spain as it happens.. where would I find the Freesat EPG and how would I install it ? Or is it only available to the 'trade'

Most, if not all digital satellite receivers have an EPG installed.
But the software used on the Sky and Freesat boxes give the EPGs access to ALL programme data on the data stream.
Yet "bog standard" receivers, with their "bog standard" EPG software, only have access to the basic Now and Next EPG information.

The Freesat EPG is only available on Freesat boxes.
The Sky EPG is only available to Sky boxes.

The reception of the data streams that feed those EPGs are easily available on smaller dishes over Europe.

However, the channels that those EPGs point to the do / may require bigger dishes in fringe reception areas.

"bog standard" receiversdo not have Freesat or Sky EPG software installed in them. This means that their standard EPG software only have access to the basic Now and Nxt EPG information. Some "linux" receivers can access the full data streams with a plugin, so they have full 7 days EPG data.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Most, if not all digital satellite receivers have an EPG installed.
But the software used on the Sky and Freesat boxes give the EPGs access to ALL programme data on the data stream.
Yet "bog standard" receivers, with their "bog standard" EPG software, only have access to the basic Now and Next EPG information.

[HI]The Freesat EPG is only available on Freesat boxes.
The Sky EPG is only available to Sky boxes.
[/HI]
The reception of the data streams that feed those EPGs are easily available on smaller dishes over Europe.

However, the channels that those EPGs point to the do / may require bigger dishes in fringe reception areas.

"bog standard" receiversdo not have Freesat or Sky EPG software installed in them. This means that their standard EPG software only have access to the basic Now and Nxt EPG information. Some "linux" receivers can access the full data streams with a plugin, so they have full 7 days EPG data.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.. :thumb:

that is much as I thought .. that was why I suggested a Freesat box to John as it is much easier than fannying about with a 'standard' box when you only want UK FTA channels.. but I wasn't aware at that point his was a 12v box for use in his van..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back