Lincolnshire bans overnight stops in some carparks (1 Viewer)

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
I would've thought the bigger issue is that Lincs CC are also banning parking in their car parks AT ANY TIME OF DAY OR NIGHT vehicles over 6m in length:
"From November 1st, we will introduce a parking order which will prohibit parking for all vehicles in our car parks overnight, and at all times for vehicles over 6m in length."
Which means that people with motorhomes, who just want to go out for the day when they're in Lincolnshire, will now not be able to park in any of the council's coastal car parks. Furthermore, the same press release states that 'waiting restrictions' are also being imposed on surrounding roads, which means that people with larger vehicles will have absolutely nowhere to legally park if they're visiting coastal towns.

The same thing has already happened in some Hampshire areas, where consistent flaunting of the 'no overnighting' signs resulted in total 24/7/365 bans on some of the clifftop car parks, and restrictions being implemented in some inland areas, where there were no restrictions before. This is why the 'We'll ignore the signs because of x, y or z reason' brigade annoy me as their entitled attitudes only result in LESS access for people with larger vehicles or motorhomes, not more. Furthermore, in Hampshire, this isn't just vehicles over 6m, but 'camper vans' or 'motorhomes'. Which, if the online T&Cs are checked, mean 'any vehicle adapted for sleeping'. So someone with a tiny micro-camper is banned, along with someone with an F1-style multi-axle conversion.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I would've thought the bigger issue is that Lincs CC are also banning parking in their car parks AT ANY TIME OF DAY OR NIGHT vehicles over 6m in length:
"From November 1st, we will introduce a parking order which will prohibit parking for all vehicles in our car parks overnight, and at all times for vehicles over 6m in length."
Which means that people with motorhomes, who just want to go out for the day when they're in Lincolnshire, will now not be able to park in any of the council's coastal car parks. Furthermore, the same press release states that 'waiting restrictions' are also being imposed on surrounding roads, which means that people with larger vehicles will have absolutely nowhere to legally park if they're visiting coastal towns.

The same thing has already happened in some Hampshire areas, where consistent flaunting of the 'no overnighting' signs resulted in total 24/7/365 bans on some of the clifftop car parks, and restrictions being implemented in some inland areas, where there were no restrictions before. This is why the 'We'll ignore the signs because of x, y or z reason' brigade annoy me as their entitled attitudes only result in LESS access for people with larger vehicles or motorhomes, not more. Furthermore, in Hampshire, this isn't just vehicles over 6m, but 'camper vans' or 'motorhomes'. Which, if the online T&Cs are checked, mean 'any vehicle adapted for sleeping'. So someone with a tiny micro-camper is banned, along with someone with an F1-style multi-axle conversion.
This is what jumped out at me too. Our Ducato van is 6.3m

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
This has been on the cards for years because of continued abuse of the regulations by some people.
Not for the first time others suffer from the actions of such people.
I visited Huttoft last year and was surprised to see so many vans that had clearly been there for some time.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Oh no. That's means Lincolnshire is off the agenda for another year. What a loss to the motorhome world. :LOL:
OK, you may not be interested in visiting Lincolnshire (although it's a beautiful county with much of interest to see in terms of countryside, nature including seabirds and seals, history, and coastline), but this situation further establishes precedents which other councils in areas more to your liking will no doubt be under pressure to follow. Thus increasing the limitations on MH/Campervan users. And, before anyone says 'pah to the UK, we'll just travel abroad instead where it's all hunkeydorey', actually quite a few of us like touring in the UK - even those who also enjoy travelling further afield - and are dismayed to see our national access eroded increasingly.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I cannot see how the can enforce this and discriminate again those like me who have a dual purpose vehicle. Mine is in fact a tri purpose vehicle as it's a welfare van for a local charity, my personal transport as well as being a camper on the rare occasion. Not measured it length - lwb ford transit.

Cheers James

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
A real shame, I have noticed since we got a Motorhome we tend to do Scotland much more as the parking is so much easier.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
OK, you may not be interested in visiting Lincolnshire (although it's a beautiful county with much of interest to see in terms of countryside, nature including seabirds and seals, history, and coastline), but this situation further establishes precedents which other councils in areas more to your liking will no doubt be under pressure to follow. Thus increasing the limitations on MH/Campervan users. And, before anyone says 'pah to the UK, we'll just travel abroad instead where it's all hunkeydorey', actually quite a few of us like touring in the UK - even those who also enjoy travelling further afield - and are dismayed to see our national access eroded increasingly.
No offence meant. It was just a joke. My point is more that silly councils that do this do not realise that nice people, who would contribute to the local economy will just go elsewhere.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Just another reason to tour in Europe.BUSBY.

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
Yet another reason to avoid motorhoming in the UK.

Shortsighted, discriminatory, blinkered.

Presumably no one on the council considered how many commercial white vans (LWB Fiats, Peugeots, Citroens, Fords, Mercs and VW's) are all over 6m in length. Even the standard 6m commercial vans are over 6m when you take into account the rear steps, bumper extensions and towbars.

James-Alex

Free Member
Oct 3, 2020
Bath. Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail excel 640G
Hopefully more places will allow overnight in pubs. We like the U.K. and haven’t been to France in our van yet. I love the idea of France and also love the idea of pub stop overs as you get a meal for the price of a pitch. The parking issues are all over the U.K. now not just certain places :(

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No

Yep, the 6 meter bit is the sticking point. We can always go out on The Fens at night.

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
Hopefully more places will allow overnight in pubs. We like the U.K. and haven’t been to France in our van yet. I love the idea of France and also love the idea of pub stop overs as you get a meal for the price of a pitch. The parking issues are all over the U.K. now not just certain places
The trouble with Pub Stops / Britstops for us is that there is no way we would want to eat and drink in a pub every night - why would we when we have everything we need in the van?? £40 a night every night becomes very expensive if you are doing more than a couple of weeks travelling. They would however, be great for us occasionally - as a back-up.

I know there is supposed to be no obligation on the Britstops scheme - but that's not what it's about for the hosts, and I get that. They're running a business after all. I would feel it only right to spend money in their business.

A car park clogged up with vans not patronising the establishment is no advantage to them at all.

I really don't think pub stops are the answer. The tunnel or a ferry is.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Letter sent to County Council pointing out that many vehicles adapted for disability are over 6m and that places such as Hawick. Welshpool, Ripon, York, Iron Bridge, Lancaster and even Edinburgh have been more than helpful in arranging parking for a long vehicle adapted for disability, either by special arrangement or by having dedicated parking spaces for such vehicles.

I'll see what they have to say.

Aug 21, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Lincolnshire today thought it would be quiet now the sprogs have returned to school
4C045589-D42D-4B3B-B036-C8442C906757.jpeg
31E7784E-8E26-4654-808C-32096E053319.jpeg
Yes

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
No offence meant. It was just a joke. My point is more that silly councils that do this do not realise that nice people, who would contribute to the local economy will just go elsewhere.
The trouble is, there will be less places to go elsewhere to………..:(

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I cannot see how the can enforce this and discriminate again those like me who have a dual purpose vehicle. Mine is in fact a tri purpose vehicle as it's a welfare van for a local charity, my personal transport as well as being a camper on the rare occasion. Not measured it length - lwb ford transit.

Cheers James
They can enforce it by passing the TRO as intended and ticketing vehicles that disobey the restriction.
It has been a problem for years so blame the abusers, not the council which has finally had enough of the abuse.

Last edited:

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner

Hope I’ve pasted this correctly. Essentially Lincs CC have decided motorhomes take up too much space, leave rubbish and grey water, and height barriers are not working!!
So Lincolnshire has not suffered economically because of either the decision to leave Europe, or because of COVID, and the caravan and camping site and other local businesses who would benefit from motorhomer spending are doing so fabulously well, that they don't need the tourism income?

In contrast, Hawick Council welcomed some 25 Motorhomes to an Informal Meet [arranged in advance, before formal Rallies were allowed to resume], and made fresh water refills and chemical toilet emptying facilities available. The Group spend was tallied up so that the Tourism Officer could report the outcome to the Council; we managed to spend just shy of £2300 [£2287 IIRC] during the 4 days, an average of £91+ per Van ... And the Group has been invited to stage a Hogmanay Rally in the same venue [@irnbru is the fount of knowledge on this event ...] and there's a racing certainty that the earlier Rally Spend will be beaten , with not a hap'orth of bother or litter, just enjoyment, good company, good behaviourand general bonhomie ['cos, to paraphrase Max Boyce's 'The Scottish Trip', 'So we can go next year again!']

Can somebody help me down off my soapbox, please? Don't want to stumble and break an ankle ... ;)

Steve

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
East Suffolk did the same around Easter but rescinded it in most carparks by the start of summer. WRITE to Lincs CC NOW!

Gordon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back