Why do campsites charge for an awning? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Simple answer... Because they can ..

same reason many charge extra for a dog, pup tent, trailer, boat, extra car, and even a pull out awning.. some even charge more for US RVs ..

Edit

snap.. beat me to it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Because they think the money in your wallet would look better in theirs.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
A campsite is a business, and just like any other will try to maximise it's profits by any means possible, so will charge as much as the market will support.

If you owned one would you not try to make as much profit as possible? I know I would..

It's called capitalism ..

If you don't want to pay the extras.. vote with your wheels..

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
I have said it before and I will say it again, we do NOT charge for any extras at all, dogs, awning, people or extra cars, you pay one price for the pitch and thats it ! :thumb: :Smile: All camp sites are not the same.

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
All camp sites are not the same.

Well said, Dylan.

There are quite a few sites now, that I know of, that charge a flat-rate- however, there are also quite a few that will try and charge for absolutely everything.

The only way to treat them is as Scot Jim says -drive away!

As long as some people are willing to pay through the nose, there will be people who are willing to take advantage.

Dick

Feb 25, 2008
Barril da Alva, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
on and off for the whole of my existance
As has been said, they charge it because there are people that will pay. If every one refused to pay the extra they would no longer charge it.

There are so many nice little sites that have a flat rate, why would anyone want to pay the extra for what should be included.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
If you charge less than what the market will stand, its not a business, its a hobby.

Ian

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
If you charge less than what the market will stand, its not a business, its a hobby.

Ian

Cant argue with that, Ian, but for how long will the punters put up with it before going elsewhere?
Business must be sustainable, or it's bust.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I have to be honest, I really don't understand why anybody that has gone to the expense of buying a motor home would then waste their investment by paying some one to stay on a field in the UK in all the rain and wind when for the same price of a 3 or 4 for weeks stay in the UK they can get over the channel to France and get south to all the sun and comfort.

I really just do not see it!!!

Doug...

Go south young man and wild camp! "£$%^&**(()_)+

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
We are free apart from £2 for EHU and £1 for water.

No one has stayed there yet - LOL

(it's more a wild camping area, no showers etc):Smile:

Plus £800.0 or there abouts for the ferry fare, nothing personal.

Doug...

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Went to a site on N/Wales coast, went to reception on arrival to book in and she quoted me a price, I said hang on, thats not what your advertised rate is, she said but you've got an awning, it's £2 a night extra... hang on woman, its a wind out that latches into brackets on the side of my van, I,m going on a hard standing, it won't even touch your ground, thats the rule she said, well I'm not going to wind it out said I ( there was an offshore wind blowing about 30mph so I wouldn't have put it up anyway) She said, quite disgruntled "I have to alter all my inputs now"....Tough, was my response, I will not be going there again.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Well £300 return, but know exactly what you mean.

OK, £300.00; but when you have a choice of £100.00 to SOUTH East or £300 to NORTH west, which way would you go, I can never understand why the Irish Tourist Board have not noticed this?

Doug...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Think on this... a hypothetical camp site owner

He has 100% occupancy all year .. he charges £10 per night inc. EHU .. :Smile:

He doubles his price to £20 but finds his occupancy drops to 50% :Sad:

Is he

a) worse off
b) better off
c) the same

he's better off because his leccy bill is halved .. also less hassle and paper work .. for him.. less is more... and he can now think on charging for extras and make even more money :roflmto:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I have to be honest, I really don't understand why anybody that has gone to the expense of buying a motor home would then waste their investment by paying some one to stay on a field in the UK in all the rain and wind when for the same price of a 3 or 4 for weeks stay in the UK they can get over the channel to France and get south to all the sun and comfort.

I really just do not see it!!!

Doug...

Go south young man and wild camp! "£$%^&**(()_)+

Well £300 return, but know exactly what you mean.

OK, £300.00; but when you have a choice of £100.00 to SOUTH East or £300 to NORTH west, which way would you go, I can never understand why the Irish Tourist Board have not noticed this?

Doug...

Ferry to France free then is it? ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years

Is he

a) worse off
b) better off
c) the same

he's better off because his leccy bill is halved .. also less hassle and paper work .. for him.. less is more... and he can now think on charging for extras and make even more money :roflmto:

That's the trick in business Jim, doing the least for the most. Never managed it myself :Sad:

Never can understand why people kick up over this charging for extra's, if its on the price list, and you don't like it, don't go there.

Ian

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007

Is he

a) worse off
b) better off
c) the same

Jim, how long do you think it will take for the £1,000 per night site that you will occupy all by yourself? :ROFLMAO:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Getting the most for the least. One of the greatest exponents of this art must be Steve Jobs of Apple, they have consistently got masses of people to pay far more than there products are worth, but do people scream "Rip off", no in the main they seem pleased to pay it. And yet some of these people scream "Rip off" because they get charged extra for an awning.

Apple are sitting on a cash pile of over $60 billion, you don't get that by chance, but maybe by "Ripping people off" :winky: ::bigsmile:

Ian

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Jim, how long do you think it will take for the £1,000 per night site that you will occupy all by yourself? :ROFLMAO:

dunno Mick.. some business models don't extrapolate to the Nth degree.. however.. many sites that charge high fees are busy.. and why ? Because the patrons, rightly or wrongly think they will have a better class of camper for neighbours .. snob value.. ? ... broadly speaking that is the case..

For example.. The CC don't allow tent campers, sign written vehicles, commercial vehicles, and in the early years , home built vans were frowned on.. and year on year CC prices have risen yet most are fully booked most of the year.. and will keep rising while they are patronised by members.

I'm sure Ian (Olley) would charge £50 for a shampoo and cut if he could.. not a rip off .. that is business,.. same as Steve Jobs practices :winky:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Just a quick one on Awnings and charging for them. I am presently on a site that is busy with mostly tuggers. Plenty are leaving today that have been here for around two weeks. You can't help but notice the mess that is left where their awnings have been for a fortnight. The grass is dead and been replaced with mud. This must cost money to put right and the blank patches really detract from the site. Not saying this a good enough reason to charge extra but if I were a site owner, its an excuse i might use to charge a bit more. ::bigsmile:

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
Just a quick one on Awnings and charging for them. I am presently on a site that is busy with mostly tuggers. Plenty are leaving today that have been here for around two weeks. You can't help but notice the mess that is left where their awnings have been for a fortnight. The grass is dead and been replaced with mud. This must cost money to put right and the blank patches really detract from the site. Not saying this a good enough reason to charge extra but if I were a site owner, its an excuse i might use to charge a bit more. ::bigsmile:

Same could be said about tents. Stayed on a few sites this summer where the tents have been big enough to park my van in and the ground is in a right state when they leave :Sad:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Same could be said about tents. Stayed on a few sites this summer where the tents have been big enough to park my van in and the ground is in a right state when they leave :Sad:

I was on a site last week and most of the tents were pitched on bark chippings, can't have been comfortable, but I suppose there was no mess when they left, their cars were parked on grass next to the bark:Smile:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
You can't help but notice the mess that is left where their awnings have been for a fortnight. The grass is dead and been replaced with mud. . ::bigsmile:

It all comes down to 'breathable' groundsheets - designed specifically to allow air to go through the groundsheet to stop the grass from dying.....

that is until someone says:

"Put that big piece of plastic down first - to stop the breathable groundsheet from getting dirty! :Eeek: :Doh:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Damaged pitches..

This problem has also been exacerbated since the introduction of marked pitches .. same patches of grass being used the whole season..

prior to this you just drove around the field a looked for a fresh patch.. that way the grass recovered very quickly .. nowadays by the end of the season some pitches are just earth..

some sites rotate pitches to try to give them a rest .. not possible when busy though.

no problems like this in Spain.. they don't do grass pitches :roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back