Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi Everyone
Just a quicky, anyone know if this Link Removed

can be used for supplying the gas needs on my van (cooking& heating only)????:thumb:

Tim

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
For cooking/heating you need a tank with a vapour take off point.. i.e. on top of the tank .. with no dip tube

LPG tanks for engines are liquid take off on the top of the tank through a dip tube inside the tank.. no good for your use.

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
For cooking/heating you need a tank with a vapour take off point.. i.e. on top of the tank .. with no dip tube

LPG tanks for engines are liquid take off on the top of the tank through a dip tube inside the tank.. no good for your use.

Thanks Jim just what I needed to know:thumb:, How the hell can you tell the differance???

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Mmm ok what about this one Link Removed? they mention 4 holes sometimes is that got anything to do with it?

Tim

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Mmm ok what about this one Link Removed? they mention 4 holes sometimes is that got anything to do with it?

Tim

Can't say.. Not enough information from the seller..

best bet is to ask the seller the question .. "Does the tank have a vapour take off point"

problem is .. he may not know .. but if it is off of an LPG conversion I doubt it

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
A drawing that explains better than words.

Note that this tank has both liquid and vapour take off ..

Attachments

• paulthurst41_propane_tank_diagram.jpg
    paulthurst41_propane_tank_diagram.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 23

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Just a thought here...would it not be possible to unscrew the takeoff point and cut the liquid standpipe off then screw the takeoff point back in,giving a vapour takeoff.
Am not advocating this is safe and acceptable practice...its just a thought.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Just a thought here...would it not be possible to unscrew the takeoff point and cut the liquid standpipe off then screw the takeoff point back in,giving a vapour takeoff.
Am not advocating this is safe and acceptable practice...its just a thought.

a bit of lateral thinking Dave ..:thumb:

not sure about this, but is the standpipe not welded to the internally threaded boss which is also welded to the tank ?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
a bit of lateral thinking Dave ..:thumb:

not sure about this, but is the standpipe not welded to the internally threaded boss which is also welded to the tank ?

Not realy sure about that Jim, I was under the impresion that most fittings were screwed in. The chances of buying a secondhand LPG habitation tank are very slim but have noticed a lot of LPG fueltanks coming available on evilbay recently at a cheap price. I did think about this as an option myself.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
One thing that you would need to know is, will the tank physically fit to your van, if its ex USA it may be too wide.

Doug...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Not realy sure about that Jim, I was under the impresion that most fittings were screwed in. The chances of buying a secondhand LPG habitation tank are very slim but have noticed a lot of LPG fueltanks coming available on evilbay recently at a cheap price. I did think about this as an option myself.

if it were the case then I see no reason not to do that ..

from . Code of Practice for under slung gas tanks

Offtake points shall be permanently and clearly marked ‘vapour offtake’ and ‘liquid
offtake’. Preferably, the end connections shall be designed to be non-interchangeable.

so they should be marked.. but whether screwed or welded isn't clear.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun

Tim

On my RV the 3 tanks have four outlet vents each, fills up much quicker than the single tank I used to have on my Jeep that had only one or two outlets.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back