Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
My low wattage kettle is tripping the electrics so before I fork out for another one am I better off getting another 800w one or for fulltiming would I be better off with a bog standard household kettle for half the price to use when on ehu?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
UK bog standard ok if you have a 16A EHU supply .. 2,500 watt uses about 11A a 3,000 watt one about 13A
However, this leaves little for the fridge, battery charger and any other bits of kit .. you risk tripping the supply ..

your choice, I would get the low wattage

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
My low wattage kettle is tripping the electrics so before I fork out for another one am I better off getting another 800w one or for fulltiming would I be better off with a bog standard household kettle for half the price to use when on ehu?

Why not use an old fashioned whistling on on the cooker hob - no fear of tripping circuits and valuable when wildcamping

Norman

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
we have bog standard 2000watt el-cheapo and a nice gas hob type so best of both really.
if you trip the mains with the electric one reset it then use the gas one if you don't trip the mains then your ok:thumb:

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No

I'm a bit confused - are you using your 800w kettle on an inverter, then? Are the 'electrics' that are being tripped your motorhome system?

OP
OP
ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
No I'm using my 800watt kettle on ehu. It's been fine up until today when we moved sites and suddenly it's tripping the electric. Saying it's been fine - only one plug socket in kitchen so kettle is plugged into an extension lead along with DAB radio and every time I switch kettle on it makes radio cut out sporadically.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have never understood the electric kettle in the MH thing? I use a whistling gas one. Water in cup, empty into kettle so I am only heating what I actually need. The good thing about having a gas one is that you can use it anywhere and don't have to find storage for two kettles ::bigsmile:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Low wattage kettle

Hi all!
We were looking for a low wattage kettle recently, as we have an old-fashioned whistling one for the gas hob, but I wouldn't have thought this would trip on the ehu if you weren't using too much else at the same time.
We've continued with the whistler as everyone else is up by the time we surface anyway, so we're not disturbing anyone!:ROFLMAO:

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
Use a jetboil, mine has been indispensable here, you can also use it anywhere, we have ours on the table outside :thumb:

OP
OP
ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
I have never understood the electric kettle in the MH thing? I use a whistling gas one. Water in cup, empty into kettle so I am only heating what I actually need. The good thing about having a gas one is that you can use it anywhere and don't have to find storage for two kettles ::bigsmile:

Why use my gas to boil water if I'm on a site where electric is included. Storing both is no problem. Checked wiring in plug which is as much as I can do. For the cost of a new one it's hardly worth getting someone to check it out :cry:

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No

Well, I can tell you, Gromett. In one word - 'condensation' .... or in another - 'humidity'

The second you light the gas ring the combustion process churns out water vapour into the atmosphere at a rate you wouldn't believe. Apart from using 'free' leccy that you've already paid for, this alone prevents me from using a gas kettle whenever EHU is available - and it's just as valid whether you're sur le Continent at 38 degrees and sweltering or in Scotland when it's chucking it down outside and - well, you know!

As an avid wild camper I have nevertheless carried both gas and electric kettles for years.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
EHU can vary from 3 amps in some continental sites to 20 amps, usually 16 in UK.

What sort of kettle you can use without tripping the electrics depends on your EHU amps.

We always use a low wattage kettle as it can be used in most - but not all - sites (6 amps plus). A normal household kettle would trip out many european EHU's.

We also have a gas kettle, as others have said you need gas for situations with no EHU or very low amps. But we use the electric when its already been paid for in the site fees!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Ok, I can understand the free electric argument but I am not going to worry about 2 minutes of Gas and carry an extra kettle :winky:

I have not noticed any condensation problems from using my gas kettle to be honest. The shower generates a load more.....

Storage is an issue for me now however as I have my whole life fitted into a 2mtr by 3.5mtr space :Doh:

I think if you are going to use an electric kettle you are going to have to live with the restrictions such as some sites have a low current supply or dodgy breakers....:Eeek:

Hope you get your kettle sorted though, nightmare not having tea and coffee on tap (so to speak)

OP
OP
ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
Cuppa's aren't a problem as I'm using my gas kettle until I find a camping shop to replace my leccy kettle. If I didn't drink so much in a day (15 - 20 cups) and didn't have to boil water for washing up etc as water heater is only working off gas I wouldn't mind so much but it's a lot of faff otherwise when I could just flick a switch and 'Hey Presto' hot water :ROFLMAO:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We use a Morphy Richards 1kw kettle, dirt cheap from Tesco. Don't know if they still do them though as we've had it for years. It's much smaller than an ordinary kettle so boils quite fast. Fine on 6A hookup even with the fridge on.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have a low wattage jobby.

Problem is that by the time it has boiled I don't feel like a cuppa anymore. I carry that one and a small hob whistler.

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Like Treacle we have a low wattage travel kettle and a gas whistler.
Uk usuage of supply is no problem, as the allowance is generous but in Italy many sites are only 3 amps. Travel kettles are very small and don't take up much space- ours fits in a plastic mixing bowl when on the move.

Lucille

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Low wattage kettle

Hi Swift!
I was interested to read your post regarding the jetboil kettle, can you tell me a bit more about these, we're newbies and haven't heard of a jetboil kettle?
We're using our old whistler at the moment.
Many thanks.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
£5 - 2000w Tesco and whistler:thumb: works for us :ROFLMAO:
terry

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough

What and use gas when paying for electric---now you are a rare beast in the motorhoming world

Do you pay for sites also

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Welcome to my world...

Are you a full timer too?

laneside said:
What and use gas when paying for electric---now you are a rare beast in the motorhoming world

Do you pay for sites also

Yup I use gas. I am a full timer and live in a very compact (tiny) panel van self build. Each item in my van has to have at least 2 uses preferably 3 :ROFLMAO: So having two items to do one job would be back to front :Sad:

I keep forgetting what its like to have a massive van with loads of storage space :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I do miss my tag axle Eura now and again....

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I keep forgetting what its like to have a massive van with loads of storage space :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I do miss my tag axle Eura now and again....

I bet you do... and all the batteries under the floor...:roflmto: was surprised when I heard you had sold it.. ideal full timing van :thumb:

as a matter of interest, what van have you converted.. got any pics ?

OP
OP
ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
Each item in my van has to have at least 2 uses preferably 3 :ROFLMAO: QUOTE]

In that case as my kettle is obviously of no use as a kettle can I take it outside and beat the crap out of it as use no:2 as I'm in a really bad mood today and it would make me feel sooooo much better? I promise to clean up the mess and not hurt any caravanners during my rant :thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

We have a 700w kettle we purchased over here in France...looked on ebay there are loads and they all look similar.....ours was purchased from the company called electro Depot in France...very cheap around 8 to 10 euros...as they change stock all the time this is the latest...
Link Removed ....

Ours boils very very quickly, auto shut off...

We also have a 1.5 stainless steel for the gas ring like this one
Link Removed

Both very light and Both very good....and never tripped the electric hook up once....maybe your electric kettle has malfunctioned...the heating coil...causing it to trip the electric.:Doh:

Good luck with the new Kettle what ever you buy:thumb:

Mel
:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
I think she is already boiling and letting off steam.. :roflmto:

That I am. I'm sure the sight of a limping, black & blue female being violent to a kettle would liven this place up a bit.
Can't quite make my mind up whether to buy a supermarket cheapy normal kettle for £6 and risk tripping the site leccy cos it's too powerful or fork out what looks to be around £16 - 20 for a low wattage one that I'm pretty sure isn't designed or intended for everyday use. Decisions, decisions :Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back