Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
when we arrive on some sites,we find that the grass is sometimes to long on our pitch,so im thinking about taking a small electric lawn mower with me,i would take ours(petrol)but got to think about the weight.:Eeek:
im thinking, something that has a grass box,and is light:thumb:
any idea's:Smile:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
:reel: You must be a bit bored Chris:winky: Its raining here in Stratford:Sad:

Bet you wished now you had not taken engine off of mower to make the charger now:ROFLMAO:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Why bother going! You can stay at home and cut the grass to your heart's content.

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
when we arrive on some sites,we find that the grass is sometimes to long on our pitch,so im thinking about taking a small electric lawn mower with me,i would take ours(petrol)but got to think about the weight.:Eeek:
im thinking, something that has a grass box,and is light:thumb:
any idea's:Smile:

Nail scissors with a match box sellotaped on (just thinking of payload!) :Cool:

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
i understand that to some its not a problem.but when i get on a pitch that got grass over 3 inches long, i just wish it was mowed to about 3/4 of an inch,all neat and tidy like,as it will just bug me the whole time im on the pitch:Eeek:
so carrying a small lecky mower would sort it out:thumb:
i dont even mind bringing the cutting's home,just like it tidy:thumb:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
i understand that to some its not a problem.but when i get on a pitch that got grass over 3 inches long, i just wish it was mowed to about 3/4 of an inch,all neat and tidy like,as it will just bug me the whole time im on the pitch:Eeek:
so carrying a small lecky mower would sort it out:thumb:
i dont even mind bringing the cutting's home,just like it tidy:thumb:

I dont think "wild camping" would suit you.

Doug...

FULLMOON

Free Member
Jul 16, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
FORD/BONGO CONVERSION
Exp
i'm a newbie
I sell mowers but for cheep electric mowers B&Q sale on this time of year ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
I dont think "wild camping" would suit you.

Doug...
we do wild, but mostly on sandy beach's,or tarmac car parks and we take a small garden rake and a broom with us so never a problem:thumb:

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
No doubt Peter from Johns Cross Motors will chip in any time now ....... :RollEyes:
does peter sell mowers?
i might go look around b&q today see if i can find one,il take some scales with me so i can weigh them:thumb:

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
I've always found Qualcast mowers to be good, I wouldn't be looking at electric though.

Broken Link Removed

Much more Eco friendly and gets the weight off:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bought one the TOH for her birthday a few years ago
She is just about talking to me now:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
50%20scythesmen.jpg

Another cheap and lightweight option?:thumb::thumb:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
I think best type would be a rechargeable Bosch. They are quite light, no cables to bother with, and you could also use one for mowing the grass when wild camping (although you would then need a site to recharge it).

But I have to say I wonder if this is a serious post. I can imagine some laughter when you are doing this. Personally I would prefer to stay at home than to start mowing grass when away in the van! Thats exactly the sort of task I am getting away from!

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
I've always found Qualcast mowers to be good, I wouldn't be looking at electric though.

Broken Link Removed

Much more Eco friendly and gets the weight off:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bought one the TOH for her birthday a few years ago
She is just about talking to me now:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
nice find,cheers:thumb:
just emailed qualcast,to find out the weight:thumb:

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
I think best type would be a rechargeable Bosch. They are quite light, no cables to bother with, and you could also use one for mowing the grass when wild camping (although you would then need a site to recharge it).

But I have to say I wonder if this is a serious post. I can imagine some laughter when you are doing this. Personally I would prefer to stay at home than to start mowing grass when away in the van! Thats exactly the sort of task I am getting away from!
i dont mind mowing grass as it goes,i mowed my grass at home last night,and will mow it again tonight:thumb:
as for people laughing at me,who cares ,have they nothing better to do while on holiday:RollEyes:

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
was thinking of this one:thumb:eek:nly 6.6 kg:thumb:

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=10787573&fh_location=//catalog01/en_GB/categories%3C{9372012}/categories%3C{9372021}/categories%3C{9341011}/specificationsProductType=rotary_mowers/specificationsSpecificProductType=electric_rotary_mowers

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
To overcome the weight issue how about attaching a pair of small shears to your 12v generator with a chain drive - easy with your engineering skills - and fastening the lot, with a bungee, to one of those lightweight trolleys that are always on sale at shows.

Pity you didn't mention it last weekend, we could have tried it at Malvern with a pair of nail clippers instead of the shears.

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
To overcome the weight issue how about attaching a pair of small shears to your 12v generator with a chain drive - easy with your engineering skills - and fastening the lot, with a bungee, to one of those lightweight trolleys that are always on sale at shows.

Pity you didn't mention it last weekend, we could have tried it at Malvern with a pair of nail clippers instead of the shears.
but did you not notice that the grass on my pitch at malvern was shorter than the rest?:thumb:i cut that grass to within an inch of its life:Eeek:but took me hours&hours:Eeek:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
but did you not notice that the grass on my pitch at malvern was shorter than the rest?:thumb:i cut that grass to within an inch of its life:Eeek:but took me hours&hours:Eeek:

I wondered why you were looking so tired - you did it at night when we were all asleep, didn't you, just so we wouldn't all feel compelled to copy you :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Chris if you already take an up-right hoover with you which i assume you will then why not attach some stanley blades to the brush and see if that cuts the grass no need for extra weight then.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Chris if you already take an up-right hoover with you which i assume you will then why not attach some stanley blades to the brush and see if that cuts the grass no need for extra weight then.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
what do think i am,a clown,do you realy think im gonna be seen walking up and down my pitch with an upright hoover,i think il pass on that one:Eeek:
like your thinking though:thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
what do think i am,a clown,do you realy think im gonna be seen walking up and down my pitch with an upright hoover,i think il pass on that one:Eeek:

Just disguise it with a black bin bag. People will think you are picking up the litter and give you brownie points - you might even earn a brownie badge if you do it often enough.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp

Chris i didnt think for a second you would do it but surely you have a good lady who would do it.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Chris i didnt think for a second you would do it but surely you have a good lady who would do it.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
He's not a suicidal clown either :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Don't want to enter a game of one up man ship but I have carried an electric strimmer (on offer in Homebase at £9.99) for years...

Doubly useful...

Fire up the genny, plug in the strimmer and clear away the offending overgrowth.

Not only do you tidy the place (I only "off site" park) but when you have finished you usually notice that not only have you cleared away the long grass but also the wretched motorhomers who choose to park right next to you even though there is a load of space nearby.

JJ :Cool:

...posted from the keyboard of one who does and therefore knows...:ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Not only do you tidy the place (I only "off site" park) but when you have finished you usually notice that not only have you cleared away the long grass but also the wretched motorhomers who choose to park right next to you even though there is a load of space nearby.

well JJ , I know you called me a smarty pants the other day.. :RollEyes: ... but I have a theory .. it's called Clumping..

I've always thought there should be a physics law that defined "Clumping" ... EVERYTHING seems to "clump".

Species tend to clump ... motorhomes and caravans clump together .... people clump together ... cows clump ... cat poo clumps ... galaxies are clumps ... the ocean is a big clump of H2O ... grass grows in clumps ... weeds tend to clump ... parallel universes are right next to each other and hence are clumped ... time is a clump in series ... beer comes in six packs... mountains are clumped together ... predators and their prey tend to clump ... shoals of fish are a clump ... plankton clumps ... you never see a single Xmas light, they're always clumped together ... radiation is clumped in discrete wavelengths ... a conversation (i.e... this very thread) is the exchange of clumps of information ...

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
well JJ , I know you called me a smarty pants the other day.. :RollEyes:

I strongly protest young Jim. :ROFLMAO:

I can assure you I did not call you a "smarty pants"... a man with 12,588 posts is Hero Funster with Gold Star and commands the utmost respect. :thumb:

I simply stated that nobody likes a smarty pants...

(Now watch my lips... "I did not have sexual relations with that woman...")

As for your clumping theory... imo, a work of genius... but as far as I am concerned they can "clump" off somewhere else... :ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back