Kate Morgan

Free Member
Aug 25, 2011
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Ace Firenze
Exp
Hi, have just returned from Italy where it's hot and where our Thule fridge struggles to cool anything. We opted to run it off gas which turned out to be a bit of a bugger as we'd only taken one canister and ran out of Calor Gas - yes, on the continent where you can't buy anymore.

PLEASE, has anyone out there got any tips of how to make our fridge be more effective?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
* if possible, park with fridge vents facing North
* ensure back of fridge is clean.. and vents clear
* install a small 12vDC fan inside on the top vent blowing OUT (computer power supply cooling fan is ideal ) this will help enormously in hot weather.
* keep the fridge as full as possible.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
K

Kate Morgan

Free Member
Aug 25, 2011
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Ace Firenze
Exp
Thank you for your suggestions - especially the parking north and fan idea. But also what is gaslow?

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
keep the interior of the van as cool as possible by parking in the shade.
also if you have an awning on the van and it is on the same side as the fridge vents it could restrict airflow thus overheating the fridge.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thank you for your suggestions - especially the parking north and fan idea. But also what is gaslow?

Re fillable gas bottle(s) that are installed with a filling point outside the gas locker.. you can fill up at any petrol station selling Autogas .. widely available in most EU counties although not so many in Spain .. much cheaper than Calor

Google gaslow for full details ..

Grumblewagon

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
N.Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30+
Rather than using more gas, I'd concentrate on the efficiency. As suggested, park in the shade and fit a small 12v. fan (ex. computer - you should be able to get one free or for a few pence) and a little DIY ducting to keep air flowing behind the fridge.

Also, make sure that it's level. On gas, even a few degrees off level can reduce the efficiency especially on older fridges.

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
* if possible, park with fridge vents facing North
* ensure back of fridge is clean.. and vents clear
* install a small 12vDC fan inside on the top vent blowing OUT (computer power supply cooling fan is ideal ) this will help enormously in hot weather.
* keep the fridge as full as possible.

As Jim says, not only would a fridge fan 'help enormously' but I think it would totally resolve your problem all on its own. A computer fan would work but there are fridge fan kits on the market that also include a thermo-switch that you attach to the cooling fins of the fridge and they automatically switch on the fan whenever temperatures reach 'dangerous' levels. I had precisely the same problem as you - in the same Country too - with an Autotrail Chieftain I had in pre-computer days and was cured by a fridge fan. I'm assuming they're still avaialble .... As I recall the fan was aimed to blow air over the fins, though, not 'out' of the vent grills.

Making sure that the fridge is on the shady side of the van when parked up also helps a lot - if its on the awning side of the van, so much better - provided the awning's out of course :Smile:

I don't understand the OP's comment that they switched over from 230v to gas operation to resolve the problem, though. That wouldn't make any difference to the fridge - all it needs is a heat source and it doesn't 'care' whether it's provided by electricity or gas burner. If the problem WAS cured by swapping over to gas, then the problem was not 'overheating' of the fridge but more likely a voltage drop in the 230v supply or a defective 230v heating element in the fridge.

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
We also take an insulated picnic box. I only care about cold beer for me and wine for my wife. We fill that with ice and relax. Long life milk does not go off if it is at room temperature.

Don't think anybody has mentioned that some fridges don't work if you are not on the flat.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
As Jim says, not only would a fridge fan 'help enormously' but I think it would totally resolve your problem all on its own. A computer fan would work but there are fridge fan kits on the market that also include a thermo-switch that you attach to the cooling fins of the fridge and they automatically switch on the fan whenever temperatures reach 'dangerous' levels.

I recall seeing a kit advertised and produced by Electrolux, twin exhaust fans mounted behind the top vent .. maybe they still make it .. a 'how to' article I found while looking for it ..

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache::bigsmile:TIJGYhfXN8J:www.caktanks.com/news/Fridge%2520Vent%2520Fan%2520Caravan%2520Magazine%2520-%2520July07.pdf+dometic+fridge+fan&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESi440ig1RXbAgu-C7VS_5_Pt6zHDg6_l5MLfZHY6PJt3luaDgqfXJhyMpAsDvMLWMOMFl3FtYPaR09Z6FkJJJjNNwHrExi53CXgXWdZCbyE8nmM6AcjadAxPtMmrshpdytnzZ4r&sig=AHIEtbS9Sg8jOobprA-a7HUgkdq-35NMjQ&pli=1

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
i think halve the problem when a fridge is running on gas on a hot day,is that some people see's that its not working very well and turn the fridge up a notch or two,making the fridge run even hotter and boiling the gas:thumb:
try turning it down a notch or two,yes fridges need heat to run but on a hot day not so much heat is needed:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
i think halve the problem when a fridge is running on gas on a hot day,is that some people see's that its not working very well and turn the fridge up a notch or two,making the fridge run even hotter and boiling the gas:thumb:
try turning it down a notch or two,yes fridges need heat to run but on a hot day not so much heat is needed:thumb:

Indeed, once you have found the optimal setting it shouldn't be changed.. the thermostat does the work .. turning up won't make it more efficient .. same for any fridge/freezer.. caravan or otherwise..

However if you have a geriatric gas only fridge they have no thermostat and it is down to human intervention to keep it at the right temperature by adjusting the flame size.. old habits die hard eh :roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back