Winter tyres What to do? (1 Viewer)

Sep 28, 2010
Castletownbere West Cork
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
11 years
Plan is to start our longtime tour of europe in September after the Finale in Lincoln.
Want to spend the Ski season in Austria so will need winter tyres.
There is nothing wrong with the tyres fitted to our Dethlefts tag axel so seems a shame to throw them but may have no choice.
What I need to know is can I use winter tyres all year round, Do I change all seven including spare and where is the best place to get them. Advice please.

Richard

rob kinnear

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
1 year 10 years tugger
Hi I remember reading somewhere that some tyre fitting companies will change your tyres and keep them ready for you to refit in the spring. It may be worth asking your local fitter.
I am sure someone will be along with an answer soon.

Rob

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Winter Tyres

Hi Richard,

Do you need to change all tyres, could you get the same results with snow chains??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Apparently all tyres have to be changed and I have carry snow chains:cry:

unless someone knows otherwise

as far as i know carrying chains is compulory in some countries/ski resorts but no requirement for winter tyres.....even winter tyres wont help on icy roads but chains are a must.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Some areas do require winter tyres by law, I seen to remember austria and germany handing out penalties for not using them. You can find out more on the AA guide to travelling in europe via their website.

In my honest opinion, I would have a look at getting a second set of wheels - storage permissible - this way you can have a set of winter tyres in your garage should you decide for another winter break at a later date, and summer tyres that you have on now for that season. Bnenfit being, that though you will have two sets, you won't be using or replacing them as often if using seasonally.

You can get the wheels from vans at breakers, as the wheels are the same. Check on ebay and the like, you should be able to find 7 for under £100, then just put your winter tyres on.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
do all the tyres really need to be changed as i cant see any benefit in changing the 4 rears as they don't supply the traction.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
do all the tyres really need to be changed as i cant see any benefit in changing the 4 rears as they don't supply the traction.

There was a Youtube link somewhere which shows that in fact it's the rear tyres that need to be either new, or need winter tyres the most....something to do with the rear breaking away sooner with worn tyres/non winter tyres.

But I can't find the link.................:Doh:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Winter tyres marked with M&S are essential in several EU Countries <Link Removed> and 'Honest John' in the Telegraph states quite specifically that winter tyres can out perform 4 wheel drives when used correctly.

Whilst stationed in Germany, we had to have all tyres M&S as well as carrying and using chains.

Dick

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
There was a Youtube link somewhere which shows that in fact it's the rear tyres that need to be either new, or need winter tyres the most....something to do with the rear breaking away sooner with worn tyres/non winter tyres.

But I can't find the link.................:Doh:

seems unusual with a front wheel drive tag as the rears just want to go straight though i could be mistaken.

the biggest thing i found with mine last winter was the need for momentum to get up hills without spinning the front wheels you really feel to be going quicker than you probably would like to.
mind you have to be going fast enough to keep the tread clear on the tyres too.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Winter tyres marked with M&S are essential in several EU Countries <Link Removed> and 'Honest John' in the Telegraph states quite specifically that winter tyres can out perform 4 wheel drives when used correctly.

Whilst stationed in Germany, we had to have all tyres M&S as well as carrying and using chains.

Dick

just looked at that link it seems to be aimed at cars and vehicles under 3500kg

Simba

Free Member
May 17, 2010
Basildon, Essex. UK
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
Since 2009-2013
Apparently all tyres have to be changed and I have carry snow chains:cry:

unless someone knows otherwise

Spoke to my son who goes to Germany and Austria quite often during the winter months, apparently the above is correct, more so for Austria he said you will get away with normal tyres in Germany as long as you have snow chains. He said he had to buy winter tyres and store others then get them changed back in the spring.
Bill

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Tyres

We have Snow tyres that we bought to go to Austria 2 years ago- I seem to think that they had to have the snow flake symbol to comply with their regulations.
We did swop tyres on our wheels the first year but we had a blow out from rough handling by our tyre fitter ( on our summer tyres) so we now have spare wheels, we bought them on line.
Our tyres are Verdastein winter tyres and this will be our 3rd winter with them so would reccomend them.

OP
OP
mogbl
Sep 28, 2010
Castletownbere West Cork
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
11 years
Thanks all that replied.

Our problem is we intend to go down to Austria for the whole winter season. then head further afield after that. So we will need winter tyres compulsory 1st November till 15th April on all vehicles. Changing them will not be an option unless we return to Ireland which will probably be as dear as the tyres if not more so.

Can we use them all year round even whilst travelling in hot countries?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back