Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
I'm preparing a list of preferences for my planned purchase of a motorhome, and at the moment a contender for the list is that the sitting area should be at the rear of the cabin - this seems to me to create a much better and more comfortable interior than a centre lounge with galley/shower etc. at the rear.

In fact, it seems so preferable that I can't help wondering why anyone would elect a different layout - each to his own of course, but are there any advantages/disadvantages that I may be missing?

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Like you we thought the rear lounge would be the best layout but we have a daughter who is 14 and wouldn't be able to travel with us if it was only a rear lounge due to seat belts. I see you are semi retired so think who you will be taken in the motorhome do you have children or grandchildren that will be with you sometimes, or even friends i know they can sit there depending on age of mh (someone else will be along to tell you im sure) but would you fancy sitting in the rear with no seatbelt.

Good luck and look at loads before you buy maybe a rear lounge with front dinette would suit you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Thanks Gerry - and a very good point. We will very probably be taking our granddaughter with us in the future, and she will also be going with my son and his wife when they borrow it. I hadn't realised that a rear lounge wouldn't have seat belts - presumably because the seats are side facing?

The rear lounge/front dinette (presumably with seat belts in the dinette?) sounds interesting, but also sounds as though only feasible in a larger model than the four berth we're aiming for. Any examples?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
"u" lounge as it's called are very popular and found more in British vans..
Works well for us and had several vans with this layout.
Our preference is vans with the "U" lounge and also the front dinette area. Gives us lots of space when just 2 of us are in the van, I can lounge about in the back and leave the wife all the space to cook my dinner and then call me to the table...:ROFLMAO:
Seriously, Rear longe and front dinnette is very flexible. Especially for family use and taking kids / grandkids away.
There will be seat belts in the dinette area, most have 2 front facing and some newer vans do have belts on the rear facing seats.

One nice aspect is that sitting at the back with windows on all 3 sides you dont feel so enclosed, especially on poor weather days. At least you have lots to look out at..

Autotrail apache 700 - Autotrail scout - Eldiss EB ?? - Suntor 630 probably lots of others..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi
You dont need to go for a big mh for that i cant think of any off hand but we have seen loads like that where the drivers and passengers seat swivel round to make up the dinette. Im sure you will be able to get on under 6.5m dont know what size you are looking for. When we were looking for ours we found a rear lounge and loved it but then someone pointed out about seat belts, they can be fitted to side facing seats but not recommended, but we didnt just want to have the normal dinning area to sit at so we got one with a long sofa at the side of the dinette. Some people may tell you that its fine to put kids in back but i wouldn't let you take mine with no seatbelts. Ours is an elddis autoquest 130. Dont know where your from but couple of big shows comming up even if your not buying new it will give you a chance to look at loads of vans in one day. There is one at lincoln end of september and one at the nec in oct which will have loads of vans.

Hope this helps a bit and feel free to ask any questions

Upvote 0

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
One of the things I like is a really big garage with massive storage......My Autotrail has this with a fixed bed double bed over it ...and another double bed at the front
behind the drivers seats made up to two sofas that slide together.

I love the idea that we both have a double bed each....and no crawling over each other to get to the loo in the middle of the night...and Its only ever the two of us in the motorhome.

But I guess the reason that there are so many layouts is that we all have different priorities.

barry

Upvote 0

Douzeper

Funster
Nov 23, 2010
Antrim, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I had my heart set on a U Shaped lounge. Under no circumstances was I looking at anything else. Then when I seen one with a garage I completely changed my mind, it suited us much better. Two ready made double beds, above cab and above garage and another small double if needed. Two 125 CC Scooters in the boot and all the clutter in there as well :) - beer storage at optimum. Toilet in the middle so that I am not disturbing anyone for the Carlsberg runs during the night.

Upvote 0

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Having a superking bed at home was part of the reason we opted for the rear U shaped lounge. We make up the bed and sleep along the length of the van as opposed to transverse. This way we do not have to crawl over each other when getting up. The front dinnette also gave us the required seatbelts for our grandchildren.
Make sure you fully research your requirements before purchasing. Apart from a house this could be one of your most expensive purchases.:thumb:

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I think a lot depends on whether you tend to be 'outdoor types' or 'indoor types'. Also, the balance of use in the UK, particularly in winter, versus overseas / longer trips in better weather. If you feel the need to maximise lounging space, then I can see the attraction of the rear U-lounge. For our part, we tend to be outside the motorhome a lot, even in winter, and therefore prioritised the storage space of the rear garage and the availability of a ready made bedroom area. Also, an A-class gives the benefit of a large lounging space at the front since there is no narrower cab area.
I have sometimes lusted after a 2003-5 Hymer S-class 650 which has a pull-down double bed at the front and uses the back third of the van for washing and cooking. It has loads of forward / central lounging space for two, but I think we would struggle for storage space. The ability to load our present garage with loungers, chairs, table, barbecue, hose reel, bikes, backpacks, toolkit, spare wheel, etc., etc., is just so useful - particularly on longer trips.

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Our "perfect" layout was the fixed bed at the rear with wet room beside and half dinette (front seats swivel to make 4 seat dinette).....then we saw the Hymer......huge rear lounge with huge Garage underneath.

Upvote 0
Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
rear lounge

Hi Touchwood. We have a 120 compass avant-garde low profile with rear lounge. It suits us very well and the bed is 6 foot 10 inches long and 4 foot 6 inches wide across the back of the lounge.. You can even have breakfast in bed if you are lucky and not block the galley.. It is also great for people and scenery watching. The 2ft heki roof light is above the bed giving nice fresh air during the night. It puts most of the storage at the back of the van (under the lounge seats) and makes the van nicely balanced. Can't think of any negatives really.
Hope this helps. When you go to look at vans, don't rush, put the bed up and really give everything the once over, then keep looking until you are quite sure.Wishing you lots of luck and then FUN....... Mitch and Jenny.. PS. of to France next Tuesday in ours to Brittany for............. don't know how long... Luverly. PS only 2 of us and we are both 5foot 6 inches.

Upvote 0

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
Rear lounge and Fiamma Ultra 3 top box, perfect combination :thumb:

I do not see the need to carry round a fully made up bed 24/7, not even a bed delivery truck does that :ROFLMAO:

Maybe OK for the old over 50 Saga type, but then they need things made simple as your brain starts shrinking then and making up a bed can be daunting and confusing ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

capinpugwash

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2005 (20 years Caravan before that)
I have an Autotrail 634U with the U shaped rear lounge.

If your question was only about getting a rear lounge or not then I would thoroughly recommend one, as the space is ideal for lounging or entertaining. Plus, you get a massive comfortable bed if you choose not to use an over cab bed if fitted.

As has been pointed out, carrying extra passengers is not a safe option, so would generally make this layout not suitable for families who travel together.

As size of van seems to be an important consideration for you, I feel that trying to achieve a U shaped lounge and dinette in less that 6.5 meters is a big ask, as more compromises need to be made. This normally results in a U shaped lounge with seats of 4 foot long, rather than 6 foot and I believe this negates one of the major benefits.

Horses for courses as usual, but good luck in your search.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Maybe OK for the old over 50 Saga type, but then they need things made simple as your brain starts shrinking then and making up a bed can be daunting and confusing ::bigsmile:

That'll be me you're talking about........::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
The old folk over 50 need an afternoon kip, so handy for them, I have a u shaped lounge so off outside for a kip on my Lafuma XL full bed chair :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Douzeper

Funster
Nov 23, 2010
Antrim, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Rear lounge and Fiamma Ultra 3 top box, perfect combination :thumb:

I do not see the need to carry round a fully made up bed 24/7, not even a bed delivery truck does that :ROFLMAO:

This is why everyone is different.

I would say a U-Shaped lounge would be more for the over 50 saga type (whatever that is), as they would tend to sit in their MH more. Whereas a ready made bed for the younger MH'er is better as they have been out all day, jetskiing, boarding, rock climbing, bungee jumping, absailing, wind surfing - and all of that equipment fits in the garage. ::bigsmile:

Outdoorsy and indoorsy.

Upvote 0

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
I have a u shaped lounge Swift Kontiki and as far as I am concerned it gives you more choice.
If holidaying in a hot country (Spain or similar) you can make the u shaped lounge into a very large comfy bed and live outdoors most of the time. Or if holidaying in England with our beautiful weather::bigsmile: you can use the U shape lounge as a lounge to chill out in.
More Choice, even if you are under 50:Smile: or over 50.
Age is just a number as we all know.:winky:

Lesley

Upvote 0

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I'm preparing a list of preferences for my planned purchase of a motorhome, and at the moment a contender for the list is that the sitting area should be at the rear of the cabin - this seems to me to create a much better and more comfortable interior than a centre lounge with galley/shower etc. at the rear.

In fact, it seems so preferable that I can't help wondering why anyone would elect a different layout - each to his own of course, but are there any advantages/disadvantages that I may be missing?

Having read all the previous posts you will now realise all MHomers are different and that's why the converters have so many different models. They try to please everyone hoping you will get it wrong and come back to change it for a different model. :Doh:

Or am I being too sceptical. :winky:

Upvote 0

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
we love our U shaped rear lounge. There is more space to walk around in a non fixed bed Motorhome, which is good for the UK where the weathers not always great. Also the lounge allows us both to lay full length (like laying on a sofa at home) and watch tv , nice and relaxing. I dont see the attractions of captains chairs, drive then turn the seat 180 degrees and it in your drivers seat all evening too , :ROFLMAO:, not for me. But.... as mentioned, we're all different and thats what makes the world go round :Smile:

Upvote 0

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
The Kontiki 645 has captains chairs (swivel) and a u shaped lounge, best of everything. Here in France the u shaped lounge has remained a massive bed as we live outside, in the uknit is the opposite so need the space inside, versatility is the key, you lose that going fixed :thumb:

Upvote 0

M1TCH

Free Member
May 15, 2011
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
We are all different which is good, when we bought our first van we went for the garage model "i think its a man thing :winky:" when we changed vans we went for the same make and model but newer cab (Transit) i dont regret it the garage is so usefull ive used it as support vehicle for track days when i had my westfield sports car carried spare wheels, jack, toolbox etc, my 125 scooter to southern Italy so i did not have to tow the car all that way, i keep all my gear in there even a Henry vac to mint the van up after a few days, we now have a dog and shes been trained as a working gun dog so is crate trained which goes in the garage, im away this weekend to a friends CL and need to deliver a pedal trike to him it fits in the garage with the crate and everything eles, ive fitted a 240v socket and extra LED lights in there which helps so as you can tell i like my garage :thumb:

Upvote 0

Reaynger

Free Member
Aug 1, 2011
Caithness
Funster No
MH
Peugeot coachbuilt.
Exp
I'm a newbie
We bought our Elddis Autoquest 145 without having seen one before, it seemed the best MH in its class, layout, price range and I am still not disappointed, the end lounge/U shaped lounge layout really rocks imho. And I still wonder why anyone would want a mid-lounge but then each to their own I guess!! ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
U Shaped Lounge

Hi Touchwood!
We are new to motorhoming and bought an Elddis Autoquest 180 with rear u-shaped lounge recently. This one is a 6 berth with the seatbelts for 4 passengers in the dinette area, plus the driver and front passenger, so 6 belted passengers in all.
We leave the rear lounge area as a made bed all the time, not because we get confused easily or that our brains are shrinking in size! Not quite yet anyway:RollEyes: but as there are only two of us using the van, we have the flexibility of the bed made up ready at the rear and the dinette table to use when required. This saves us having to move the cushions into place for the night. We also have the large double bed above the front cabin which is 6 ft 8 x 4 ft 6 approx. The length of the van is 23 ft 6 ins or thereabouts, so for just the two of us there is certainly more than enough space.
We are complete novices, but I think the rest of the "seasoned MH experts" on here have all given some great advice and at the end of the day, it will get down to what will work for you and your family and most importantly your budget.
Enjoy doing the research and good luck with your new MH when you've made your decision.:thumb:

Upvote 0

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
Exactly :thumb: you can make a u a bed but can't make a Fixed bed a u (without a saw), if u know what I mean ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
I guess you have to decide what is important to you, we have just bought our first motorhome and did about a years worth of research. We were fortunate enough to be able to borrow, first, a VW camper and them an A class for a couple of holidays. The VW was just too small but we met up with my brother in Germany with the borrowed A class, an Autotrail Grande Frontier. My brother hired a small Dethleffs in Germany with a classic continental layout, fixed bed and dinner at the front.
For my money a fixed bed is dead space in a small van, if you are OK with a long van, over 7m then a fixed bed and garage might well work but on less than 6m it isn't really worth it, well for UK holidays where you want indoor lounging space. My brother and his wife spent as much time taking stuff off the bed so they could go to sleep as they would have spent making up a bed!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
We had decided to go for either an A class or rear lounge but had the dilemma of also wanting an extra belted seat. There are a few rear lounge vans with rear belted seats that have an L shaped arrangement but they are few and far between. The A class is almost exclusively European and have some quite "interesting layouts" and we wanted a shorter vehicle so under 6m. In the end we happened across a Hymer B544 with a good layout so get the A class and 2 bench seats and a total 5 belted seats (although I'm not convinced about using the sideways one or the one where you have to have your feet on the bench in front of it). As this weekend is our first outing (why am I going away on a Bank Holiday weekend?) we will find out if our decision has been the right one for us.
All the best in your quest and do plenty of research and don't be tempted to rush into it. If you get the chance to try something out first it's well worth it in the long run.:thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that

Our first MH was a rear lounge, never again! the making of the beds every night was a pain plus sleeping on the "Bits-n-Pieces" of cushions was another pain.

Now we have a fixed bed and its much more comfortable.

Doug...

Upvote 0

dc6947

Free Member
Aug 25, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
converted ducato
Exp
United Kingdom
I have a rear U-shape lounge in my fiat ducato conversion. Making it up takes less than a minute, it's really quick, but also frustrating/annoying when you are really tired after a long day or after a number of weeks on the road. Having said that, the space created by putting the bed away is great and it's certainly not so much of a hassle that i'd consider a fixed bed.

HOWEVER, my u-shaped lounge when turned into a bed is NOT comfortable at all. And i don't know what to do to even make it comfy. I get used to it after a few nights but i hate how hard it is. I'm not sure what i can do about that other than replace the cushions with softer ones, which ultimately are still not going to be like getting into a nice bed with a proper mattress. In the future i'm considering much longer periods of time in my van and even fulltiming so i can see it becoming a major issue for me and will ultimately force me into a fixed-bed layout and to preserve some living space this will mean a bigger van.

I know a lot of people will disagree but you spend a lot of time in a bed, around a third of your day infact - so it is kinda important. I'm only 29 but even at this tender age i still get stiff joints and feel sore when i sleep in a 'bad' bed (but i am a bit of a granny!).

In short then, the u-lounge made into a bed is great for short stints or even up to a month or two at a time, but longer term i don't think it's a great idea. I want to do a long stint in Europe next year (my tenancy agreement allowing, long story...) and if i do i'll be changing my van purely to get a fixed bed.

As others mentioned too, if you are not lounging around in the van all day then a rear lounge isn't that important. Our u-shaped lounge often gets left in its bed state during the day as we are busy at the beach, exploring the countryside, or driving. Even in the rubbish Scottish weather we just had the past few weeks we just didn't spend long periods lounging around the back of the van, and when it was really cold and wet it was actually quite nice to just snuggle under the covers with a mug of tea and a good book ;).

Upvote 0

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Drew

Going away on a Bank Holiday weekend!!:ROFLMAO: Brave or what?
After 12 years of living down south, we always thought it was easier to stay at home and watch the traffic jams on the tv!
Anyway, have a good trip and hope the weather holds up for you.

Upvote 1

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back