Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Disposing of Grey water on a rally field or wilding on grass is easy without leaving a trace or detritus behind.
Get a plastic carrier bag and make a small hole in the bottom for water to drain out of. Then fill the bag with grass and tie under the drain tap. switch on the tap and leave it on. when you are ready to go remove the carrier bag tie it up and place in the rubbish bin. The grass having acted as a filter collects all of the rubbish leaving behind a clean site.:thumb::thumb:

Please note do not drain grey water into a road drain as it contains soap that would end up in the nearest river. Draining to soil filters it out.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Good idea Roger.. however, I would also use a piece of drain hose to get it away from under the van and preferably into the hedgerow .. otherwise it can get soggy and smelly under the van ..

CLs and sites not on mains sewage usually ask that you do this rather than dump in their tank.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
but if i was to but it through a masarator first and fire it in the bush's would that be ok?

If you fired up that 'geni' of yours first it would be fine, as you 'firing' poo into the hedge row wouldn't be noticed:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
but it was noticed that an rver pumped his black waste in the hedge at a meet.

Last edited:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
NO :Eeek: ... name and shame :Angry:
sorry jim
no names no pack drill:Sad:
but i would just like to point out,that when we are at a meet,and all put in the same area,we should clean up after ourself's, and not leave anything behind that SHOULD not be there, as it dont take alot of working out that its a funster that's left it:Sad:
as a group we have the reputation of the funsters to uphold,and it only take's one prick to destroy it:Angry:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Ah, but what actually went down the pipe::bigsmile:

Unless you know which valve was pulled you wouldn't know what was in there pipe?

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
sorry jim
no names no pack drill:Sad:
but i would just like to point out,that when we are at a meet,and all put in the same area,we should clean up after ourself's, and not leave anything behind that SHOULD not be there, as it dont take alot of working out that its a funster that's left it:Sad:
as a group we have the reputation of the funsters to uphold,and it only take's one prick to destroy it:Angry:

Absolutly, a bit of grey around the edges will do no harm, I saw many emptying washing up water, and with the ground so dry I guess the trees, grass and bushes will have appreciated it.

I can't imagine any FUNster would actually be daft enough to drop the black, and frankly if they did we'd all know about it from the smell.

Ours, and all our grey, got well sloshed about on the run home before dumping at home, always a better dump after a good sloshing:thumb:::bigsmile:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004

Unless you know which valve was pulled you wouldn't know what was in there pipe?
it was another rv'er that noticed it,and both tank's were pumped in to the hedge:Angry:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

that is true.. however.. it's the perception that counts... perhaps it was grey but anyone seeing will assume it's raw sewage.. as said.. don't give anyone a reason to point the finger.. we get enough bad press without giving them bullets to fire..

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Is there a code of conduct for rallies ?

If not perhaps there should be and anyone found blatantly breaking the code should be barred from attending any future ones.

we don't want bogged down with silly rules .. common sense should prevail.. but clearly not in this case...

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Is there a code of conduct for rallies ?

If not perhaps there should be and anyone found blatantly breaking the code should be barred from attending any future ones.

we don't want bogged down with silly rules .. common sense should prevail.. but clearly not in this case...
there is a code of conduct and only one rule.
take nothing but photo's,and leave nothing but tyre track's.
oh and dont annoy those around you:Blush:
so thats two rules:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
After we were told about it we went and inspected we could not find any evidence of black waste being dumped, therefore I think it was only grey that went in the hedge. That said, I think the waste was macerated, so 10 gallons of black mixed with 60 grey may have masked it. Not sure really, but there were certainly no obvious sign of anything, grey or black.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
that a relieve jim.:thumb:
as you know i did'nt inspect it,better thing's to do than look in hedges for s**t:ROFLMAO:
only going on what we was told:thumb:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
On our RV we have 3 tanks - 2 grey & 1 black - in 99% of the sites we go to there is always a request to water the hedges or flower beds to save on water and/or septic tank emptying charges - our back tank is just from the kitchen sink and we always water the hedge or flower beds with that one . The front one we always pump through after the black tank to clean the pipe out..

Mind you it was suggested by some at Malvern that seeing as we had been parked alongside a giant pile of Horse Sh1t that our little offering would not be noticed:roflmto:

However we did not succumb to temptation and pumped out at the toilet block on the way out

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
There is a bad one in every bag.

Doug...
apparently not:thumb:
i was only going on what we were told by another rv'er,but after investergation by jim,it was found that no crime had been committed:thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
It is true that Quinta Majay is not a campsite and has never had more than two vans on it but for what it is worth I let my grey water out neat onto the land... any food bits are quickly consumed by the vast amount of wild life and insects etc in the orchard... out go my potato and onion peelings etc. A day or two later it has all gone. :thumb:

On two occasions I have needed to deal with black water too and, choosing a sensible location, a suitable sized hole was dug and the (biologically treated) "stuff" was duly deposited. No smell, no worry, no problem. :winky:

It is my belief that the horror we Westerners have of our naturally produced waste matter comes because we all live too close together in unnatural, concrete urban and city environments and have to use unnatural disposal systems. Humans have lived on earth for tens of thousands of years and have been making deposits without problems until very recently indeed... :restmycase:

... and no, it wasn't me putting my poo in the hedge... if it had been me no one would have seen me...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

On two occasions I have needed to deal with black water too and, choosing a sensible location, a suitable sized hole was dug and the (biologically treated) "stuff" was duly deposited. No smell, no worry, no problem. :winky:
JJ :Cool:

that's fine JJ.. in a rural location on your OWN land.. not on a site or rally field.. or by the side of the road ...

sadly it is the actions of some off site campers dumping toilets in unsuitable locations who have given all campers a bad name.. and as I said before.. perception is everything ..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
can that be done with the black tank on a rv as well????

it is viable chris, but connect a very large black refuse sack to a very long dump hose...part fill the sack with charcoal lumps after the straw to keep the evil stench at bay.

failing use of the the above you need a haz-chem suit and pump fed air mask.....just as a precaution mind !

then figure out how to lift the sack to the waste bin.....or just leave it where it is, cover in grass clippings and deny all knowledge :ROFLMAO:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Take it from someone with too much experiance in ilegal dumping black waste, namely my garage floor on more than one occasion,:Doh:
There are always unmistakable signs apart from the smell,
The Grey tanks smell far worse by the way
You cant disguise those feather light wisps of toilet tissue, it would have been there for all to see if the deed had been done
Geo

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
At the environmental home ed. camp we are going to next week, we are told to empty our toilet cassettes at the end of the neighbouring field.

After all, it's pretty much what the sheep do.

::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back