Portable aircon, How Powerful does it need to be in btu ? (1 Viewer)

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Virtually none ! :)
Hi all,

I am considering buying a portable aircon unit, to use in the motorhome which I havent bought yet :Doh:

Can anyone recommend what size (btu) they would suggest, as I dont want to buy one that doesnt do the job, or is way bigger (physically) than I need.

I want it to be good enough for touring France/Spain.

Thanks

Jason

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
A basic calculation using just the room area. It does not take into account the number of windows, no of people or equipment but is adequate for your purposes..

BTU = Length (m) x Width (m) x 337

for example 5m x 2mt x 337 = 3370 BTUs

1kW is equal to 3412 BTUs.

1kw at 230v uses about 4.5amps , given the constraints of some French and Spanish EHU supplies this is the largest I would buy..

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi all,

I am considering buying a portable aircon unit, to use in the motorhome which I havent bought yet :Doh:
Jason

Buy your MH first, use it, then consider aircon. Unless you buy A Big One, you'll be horrified how little storage in terms of size+weight you have. Aircons are huge lumps in MH terms, this is why they are usually bolted on the roof.

We've done France/Spain/Italy/Morocco without and survived, though on the odd day we did use a noisy 12V fan.

You do realise you'll not be able to use the aircon if you are not on hook up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jaykay

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Virtually none ! :)
Buy your MH first, use it, then consider aircon. Unless you buy A Big One, you'll be horrified how little storage in terms of size+weight you have. Aircons are huge lumps in MH terms, this is why they are usually bolted on the roof.

We've done France/Spain/Italy/Morocco without and survived, though on the odd day we did use a noisy 12V fan.

You do realise you'll not be able to use the aircon if you are not on hook up.

Hi Brian,

I expect to be on hookup on most trips, so thats ok.

As for buying the motorhome first, it would make sense. I am just waiting for some cash to come through in the next week or two, then I will be buying both.
We have had caravans before, so have a good idea on storage. We dont like too much clutter so will try to stick to essentials. :thumb:

Size wise, I expect the motorhome to be 6 or 6.4 metres long and 2.3m wide. I just didnt want to buy an aircon unit which didnt do the job. It will be our first time abroad in any form of caravan/camper and the wife is worried about the heat, hence deciding to buy a mobile unit which we can use in the home as well.
B&Q etc usually sell them off at the end of the summer so thought I would grab one while I can.
Thanks for the advice.

Jason

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back