Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
July 2011
Mum and me are gadding about the UK. We love to meet new people and visit new places. As mum is 86 and suffers from dementia, our pace of travel and stays are at a leisurely pace. This gives us time to stand and stare and take it all in.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Hi there!
Have just read your message on this forum, that's lovely! I hope that you both enjoy your travels around the UK, unfortunately the weather hasn't been very good recently. If you are in Scotland, you should pay a visit to the East Neuk of Fife, very quiet with really friendly people. There are so many lovely little harbours in this area and everything goes at a very slow pace, I'm sure your Mum will love it. Let me know if you are looking for a good site to stay at.
Enjoy yourselves and hope the weather improves for your gadding!::bigsmile:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
:welcomefunster::welcomefunster:

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Welcome to the FUN, love what you are doing with Mum, I was a carer before retiring and I salute you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Mum and me are gadding about the UK. We love to meet new people and visit new places. As mum is 86 and suffers from dementia, our pace of travel and stays are at a leisurely pace. This gives us time to stand and stare and take it all in.

You have picked the best forum to be on - welcome from us two as well - motorhoming / caravaning is the most enjoyable way of seeing the country - try and get to one or two meets as well you will find many of us in very similar situations :thumb:

OP
OP
P

patilo

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
July 2011
meets

Are they a friendly bunch or just there to gloat over their pride and joy?:Confused:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Are they a friendly bunch or just there to gloat over their pride and joy?:Confused:

Both of the above.
They are a great bunch. friendly and welcoming.
Some are just plain daft, though. You'll find those for yourself.
As for myself, I'll just carry on being a teapot.

Love what you're doing with mum.
Welcome and enjoy the best MH forum on the web.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003

Hi patilo, why not come along to a Funster meet and find out for yourself. Both you and your mum will be made most welcome.

Brisey.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years

We are all as daft as one another in different ways - No one worries what type / size / year / value of your outfit - we are all there for one thing to relax enjoy and meet like minded people. Nothing is compulsory you do what you want to do when you want to. Always plenty going on about - just introduce yourself and join in. There is always a central club tent where things happen in the evening which you can join in if you wish :thumb:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello and welcome to Fun, taking your mum around the country in your Motorhome is a wonderful way to spend time together without putting extra pressure of being a carer for you mum I am sure you will have lots of things to smile about when you reflect on it, I like many others on here have cared for our elderly parents with dementia and its not always easy. Your comment about people gloating with their motorhomes is as far from the truth as you can get on this forum, we have all shapes sizes makes and models and have not yet met anyone who if they care to join in have not been made to feel welcome. If you join us on a meet sometime I am sure you will agree. :welcomefunster:

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Hi and welcome. My mum has dementia and it is very hard to see our parents lose themselves. But how wonderful for your mum you can still travel together.
No one worries about what type price or size van you have- come to a meet you will be very welcome.
Lucille

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
:welcomefunster::welcomefunster::welcomefunster:

Hi and welcome

It dont matter if you are in a tent,caravan, motorhome or car you are always welcome at a funster meet so come along and meet some of us

:party2::welcomefunster::party2:

OP
OP
P

patilo

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
July 2011
Meets

OK , all - you wonderful people- as mum would say, there is so much goodwill flowing out from you all we'll definetaly head off to a meet sooner rather than later. Will find one not too far away. Looking forward to meeting new people and sharing stories. Mum and I usually travel in red (Go outdoors didn't have any other colour at the time that fitted us). So pleased I stumbled across this site whilst researching batteries. :coolthumb:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Hi Patilo!
Originally Posted by patilo Link Removed
Are they a friendly bunch or just there to gloat over their pride and joy?

No, I don't feel that motorhome owners are just there to gloat over their pride and joy at all. We have only owned ours for a few months but can't believe how friendly MH owners are, the first time we were out and saw another fellower 'homer they waved! I couldn't believe this and wondered if they knew us, however, it soon became obvious that the majority of MH owners appear to wave to other MH owners on the road. I think this is so refreshing and just love it when someone waves to us! The world is in a turmoil at the moment, so it's really nice to get a wave from other owners in this way. I have been told by another 'homer that only the foreigners or people hiring don't wave.
I wholeheartedly agree with Carol on what she has said, in fact, we had a caravan before buying the MH and have found that both caravan and MH owners are extremely helpful and will offer advice and enjoy having a good chat! This makes a real pleasant change in today's world when the majority of people are only out for themselves.
So in answer to your post, we're not here to gloat, just a real bunch of friendly and helpful people who enjoy life and travels in their motorhomes:thumb:

OP
OP
P

patilo

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
July 2011
newark meet

Will be meeting up with other funsters at Newark on 2nd September. Looking forward to it.::bigsmile:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Meet at Newark

Hi Patilo!
That's great, if we were closer we would go as well, unfortunately someone reversed into the side of us last week. Dent in side panel and smashed window unit, so it's going in for the repair tomorrow:cry: We wouldn't have felt so angry about it had the 'van been old, but it's only a few months old.
The van driver who reversed into us forgot he had several sets of long ladders on top of his van!:RollEyes:
Anyway, I hope both you and your Mum have a super time!

OP
OP
P

patilo

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
July 2011
OMG Doesn't bear thinking about. I'd be gutted.
Hope it doesn't take too long for the repairs.
:Doh:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Hi Patilo!

Yes, we couldn't believe it when it happened, we were just in the wrong place at the wrong time! We should know by Tuesday how long it will take, it's a real shame because we were booked up to go to Whitley Bay and then on to Grassington:cry:
Regards, Maggie

Feb 3, 2008
ireland
Funster No
MH
class a r.v.
Exp
10yrs
:welcome: no strangers here, just friends you havent met yet :party2::Smile::Smile::Smile:

W18BLA

Funster
Oct 24, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam
Exp
Hi and welcome to mhf. Firstly about the gloating your right in one way only because i do it and thats i gloat over everyone elses motorhome thinking either wow,omg how big, even people we have meet that dont have the money to splash out on a £20k+ mh we all have respect for everyone. You could pitch next to me even if you only had a puptent your out enjoying yourself and thats that.

What your doing with your mum is so fantastic enjoy it no matter what others say on your travels. My mum awlays want to travel around with us in a motorhome but unfortantly we could never afford it until she passed away and i promised to buy a motorhome with the money she left such sad times but she is still with us when we are in the WIBBLA :Smile:

see you at newark

craig,vikki,jacob,lewis

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hello , Im sure you will find this site great. You will get all the info you need for you motorhome , and are bound to pass away a few hours chatting and making new cyber friends.
Once / if you get to meet up with them in the flesh , you may be surprised:roflmto: , but you will find everyone very friendly.
Well we have anyway :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
P

patilo

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
July 2011
Starting a blog soon for 'mum and me'.

It's been so clear that mum and i and our travels have touched a cord in so many people on this site. So many have been closely involved with elderley parents and all the sorrows and joys that caring for them thrusts upon them. There is so much empathy out there it's been quite touching.

Before i subscribed to motorhome fun, mum and I had joined in with the folk dance section of the C&C Club and a nicer bunch of people you couldn't meet anywhere. They made us so welcome. They talked to mum just like anyone else and that made me happy. We especially enjoy accordian and fiddle music as mum's dad played the fiddle at weddings in the Ukraine, where she's from.

We've been assured by so many people on motorhome fun that there's lots of friendly folk in this 'club' and I've no doubt that will be the case. We're looking forward to meeting some of them at Newark and more next year.

As there's so much interest in 'mum and me' it makes sense to start a blog.
So there'll be one up and running as soon as I've sussed it out.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Patilo, As someone who has been, and still is a carer, for the last seven years I know how hard it can be...... well done you for taking time out with your mum. We only have one mum and time with them is precious.

Make the most of each trip cos the day may come when she can no longer come with you .. (mine can't) ..... and you will have so very many happy memories.

Really looking forward to meeting you, come along, join in, (don't give your email out too readily), and you will soon find many friends and supporters, along with lots of laughter lines....:thumb: Joy xx

OP
OP
P

patilo

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
July 2011
joy

Hi Joy,
Your message couldn't have come at a better time. Had a particulalry stressed day with mum- well, it was my problem realy. Your email was so encouraging. Many thanks.
Yes, we both enjoy the time out although change for mum is difficult but -hey- we try all sorts- some work , others don't.

Will start a blog soon. you minght find it interesting and it minght enlighten others who are not familiar with dementia.

thanks

Do you get away much in your van?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Patilo, Ta for your contact. I don't get out as much as I would like. I have looked after mum and dad for several years with cancer and dementia. Dad died of the cancer four weeks ago after an horrendous twelve months and they were in respite care at the time as I was going under with all the stress of caring and other things going on in my life at the time.

When dad died I brought mum back home having made the downstairs of the house into a sort of 'bungalow' for her (sounds posh but it isn't ... I just brought her bed down and had a downstairs toilet and shower for her. It is very difficult but I do the best I can. I tried to get her in the motorhome to take her to Roger's meet with me, but she couldn't climb into it... so my daughter came up from down South to stay with her for the duration.

There are bad days and good days as I am sure you know all too well. I can't imagine having time to spend on being ME other than when I am away in the motorhome. I look forward to meeting you and your mum.

Sending you both a big big hug. Love Joy xx

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back