Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Hi all,

This looks like a busy and helpful community, just what I'm looking for.

Heading for retirement, my wife and I plan to buy a motorhome soon. We used to own a 1976 Ford Transit based Advantura which I bought when working at Sizewell 'B' power station in the mid-nineties, which we had a lot of fun with as well as it being my main residence for 3.5 years. Lack of parking space and economic restrictions meant we had to sell it when the Sizewell contract ended, but it's always been our intention to "have another go"

I'm just starting to compile a list of requirements/preferences - I'm sure I'll have loads of questions for all you wonderful people who like nothing better than spending unpaid time helping newcomers! First question is; is there a good resource for reviews? A brief search has come up with very little - there's a Autohome Windfall for sale in my area that looks interesting but as a novice I'm keen to read a few reviews (preferably owner reviews) before even going to look. I should say I haven't searched this site thoroughly yet - too keen to say hello!

Enough for now - look forward to a nice steep learning curve ove the next month or so.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome you have come to the right place to get your questions answered. All i would say is make sure you have a look at loads of different layouts before you buy one.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'm keen to read a few reviews (preferably owner reviews) before even going to look.

Waste of time. Did you ever see a review of a house ? This is your home we are talking about it's too personal for others to review.

Get out there, sit in as many as you can and pretend you are living there with a force 10 blowing outside, are you comfortable for hours on end.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Hi and welcome, I think Brian is spot on who else but you knows what works for you.

You will get all the help you need here and poss some you don't :ROFLMAO:

All the best Rick

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Touchwood, it is said that the average is three motorhomes before you buy the one you should have bought first:Eeek:, but if you do a bit of research, and take hilldwellers advice, sit in a lot of motorhomes, stand in the shower, sit on the loo, notice things like storage or lack of; you will soon get a feel for what you want and hopefully get it right first time. Shows are a good place to do this, thousands of motorhomes in one place and generally you can climb all over them without a pushy salesman interfering with your research. Check out the Motorhome Buyers Guide in my signature, it could save you a lot of money and pain. Meanwhile welcome to the fun:thumb:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Touchwood

You have been good advice already by previous Funsters, the best advice I can offer is Make Haste Slowly

Best of luck

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Hi Touchwood

You have been good advice already by previous Funsters, the best advice I can offer is Make Haste Slowly

Best of luck

Hi Desco I'm not previous I am still here :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Sorry knew what you meant couldn't resit it.

All the best Rick

OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Thanks

Many thanks for your prompt responses - I can see I'm going to like it here!

I appreciate what has been said regarding it being a very subjective and personal choice for things like layout, storage space, room in the shower etc. - I do intend to have a look at a lot of options to see what suits us best.

What I had in mind however, was a source of reviews on more specific elements which would affect any prospective buyer - adequacy of engine power, availability/cost of spares and repairs, quality of fittings etc. Or is it the case that motorhome design is pretty refined nowadays, and most if not all built in the last 15 years (say) will meet the basic requirements equally well? Are there no "avoid at all costs" dogs out there? Because with my track record for sure I'll buy one if there is!! :RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back