Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
My good lady wife, has decreed, that the "deaf old git" should invest in a hearing aid. I am more or less deaf in the left ear, and always have been, but now the right that used to compensate, is showing its age.
I admit to a bit of selective deafness, especially when the neighbours want to chat but i have a book to read and some biscuits to eat, but i suppose i should fine tune the lugholes in the interest of harmony.
No point me going to the quacks, ive no doubt he will point me in the direction of some private enterprise anyway, so i,d sooner a recommendation from one of you lot, and i,d especially like to avoid the ones advertised along with walk in baths and two feet slipers etc.:Smile:
The only stipulation, is that it MUST have an on off switch and volume control:ROFLMAO:....................i dont know, 55 and its all falling to bits, bit like the M/H really:roflmto:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Go to your GP and get refered and have one on the NHS, private you are looking at £1700-00 PLUS !

NHS ones are very good and FREE

Peter

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Will second Johns Cross, I have 2 courtesy of the NHS and very good they are, when I want to hear something and remember to put them in. Its amazing what you can hear with them,I had forgotten what bird song was.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

G1DOL

Free Member
Aug 21, 2010
West Oxford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Started 2011
NHS hearing aids

Thirded - G1DOL's other half here!

I have a digital aid courtesy of the NHS, an Oticon Sprit Zest which is a behind-the-ear aid. No volume control as such but each aid is set up by computer to best compensate for your individual requirements dependant upon your type of hearing loss.

Mine's brilliant, sounds are natural (or as far as I'm able to judge, being a bit 'mutton' and all that!) and it's very reliable and easy to look after.

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Changed my mind about my post!

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Sorry to hear that.....but I agree go to the doctor and staret the ball rolling and get a nhs aid.

In the meantime cut a 12 inch length of string....poke one end in your left ear and the other end under your collar....I wont help your hearing but it will make people talk louder !

All the best to you .......Im sure your hearing will be greatly improved with
help from your doctor and the NHS

barry:Smile:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Do go to yopur GP as others have said and get a proper one. There is no comparison between those and the rubbish you can buy!

Father in law bought this thing out of the paper - what a waste of time! After having it in for 10 minutes and complaining that everyone was shouting and to turn the damn tv down, it went in the bin!! Found memories now that always make me laugh and think of him!

Mother In law had one done at the GP - She opted for one that covers both ears - these are sensitive though, as they are hearing for the other side of your head as well - but she gets on with it well now. They put some gunge in your ear to custom fit the mould - and you won't know it is there. They come in different colours, and are much more discreet than traditional hearing aids.

DO PERSEVERE!! You will hear things that you have forgotten that you could hear, this will be quite traumatic at first but keep with it and get used to it - these are things that we all hear, but you havn't for such a long time it will feel alien to you.

These include to noise of cars driving on wet roads, clicking, printers, people talking outside or in different rooms, also eating and breathing. You will hear text messages come through on a mobile from 400 yards! lol! But you will get used to it - just be a bit disturbing at first! Quite a surprise for relations as you ask what this and that noise is - as they probably don't realise exactly how deaf you are/may be.

Go for it, you won't look back! M-I-L is the most stubborn, change resistant woman I have ever met, and although it was a fight at first - she now does comfortably use it, and would not be without it!

You can turn off by flicking the battery slider out, and can turn up and down, so you are fully in control. You will go the bed wearing it - trust me!

Good luck!:thumb:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I also got my marching orders - get down to the docs and get the NHS one, it will be the lowest cost and they are OK as has been said. :thumb:

You will forget it's there, something you have to remember when having a shower - they do not like water. :Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
NHS ones are all you need and if not set up correctly just keep going back until they are.

Shirl paid £3k for hers privately and because of her particular hearing loss (low pitch and not age related degenerative loss) they never did get them right.
she had them in her handbag when it was stolen while shopping in london.

she now has free NHS ones but they cant get those right either.

evidently, if you leave it too late you will never get the desired result as your brain cant 'retrain' to the new 'stereo' sound and you become overwelmed with sound.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I got fed up with paying for a private one, been deaf since 10, so thats a few years, took ten months to get an NHS one, dont know what its like in your area.

Good service when you do get one, free batteries from GP, walk in service at the Royal Berks if you have problems.

Just got a brand new one last week when the old one packed up.

Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back