Hundreds of Brit pubs to offer free WiFi (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
BT Openzone and Heineken are teaming up to offer drinkers in 100 UK pubs Wi-Fi access.

The partnership will then be extended to include another 200 bars and pubs by the end of 2012.

The two have also done a deal with mini-Independent newspaper i to put its content online as part of the "Heineken hub".

The Wi-Fi pub is of course a big improvement on the wireless coffee shop, but one issue remains. Many premises will not let you use a plug to recharge your laptop therefore limiting the working/drinking day to the length of time your battery lasts.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/08/19/lager_wifi_bt/

Last edited:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
The Wi-Fi pub is of course a big improvement on the wireless coffee shop, but one issue remains. Many premises will not let you use a plug to recharge your laptop therefore limiting the working/drinking day to the length of time your battery lasts.

Could try carrying ones of these Jim:ROFLMAO:

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I looked with great expectations, only to be disapointed, as I am not a BT customer.

Doug...

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I looked with great expectations, only to be disapointed, as I am not a BT customer.

Doug...

I didn't read it that way Doug ..

BT Openzone and Heineken are teaming up to offer this free service .. no mention of it being for BT customers only .. if that were the case why would they team up?

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Whetherspoons pubs have been free Wifi enabled for some time. You get a good pint with or without alcohol at a very competitive price. What more could you ask for:winky:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Beggars cant be choosers Jim. It's either BT or Whetherspoons. Your choice:ROFLMAO:

It might surprise you, or maybe not.. I know you are a well travelled mobile warrior .. but lots of small private pubs have free wifi ..

It was available at the pub I managed in 2007.. so not new :shout:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
I didn't read it that way Doug ..

BT Openzone and Heineken are teaming up to offer this free service .. no mention of it being for BT customers only .. if that were the case why would they team up?

"BT has added 200,000 sites to its 3-million strong UK network of Wi-Fi spots in the last three months. Access is free for BT Broadband customers. ®"

I think the last sentence has it Jim.

Doug...

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
"BT has added 200,000 sites to its 3-million strong UK network of Wi-Fi spots in the last three months. Access is free for BT Broadband customers. ®"

I think the last sentence has it Jim.

Doug...

so why mention one or two hundred pubs that are going to be free or indeed make any announcement about a 'teaming up' .. ... no matter.. time will tell..

my mistake for assuming and posting without checking the facts.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
It might surprise you, or maybe not.. I know you are a well travelled mobile warrior .. but lots of small private pubs have free wifi ..
Here is one for starters. Nice pub grub and free wifi to boot. You never know, we could be rubbing shoulders.:winky:
Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Here is one for starters. Nice pub grub and free wifi to boot. You never know, we could be sitting at the same table.:winky:

Steady on buttons.. don't get carried away with all this friendly banter .... .:roflmto:

but next time you are in my locale ... let me know and I'll buy you a pint at my local ...

Link Removed .. :thumb:

Last edited:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
so why mention one or two hundred pubs that are going to be free or indeed make any announcement about a 'teaming up' .. ... no matter.. time will tell..

my mistake for assuming and posting without checking the facts.

Well Jim, this touches on a comment I made a few days ago. Most adverts are so close to lies on either what the do not say, or in what they do say, it makes me wonder what the Advertising Standards Agency and the Trading Standards Agency does for their money.

Doug...

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
But one issue remains. Many premises will not let you use a plug to recharge your laptop

We always have a 12->19 volt adaptor with us while travelling, the laptop is recharged will driving :ROFLMAO: :thumb: :Eeek:

Also have a wifi booster on board, so we dont have to go inside the pub.

(Actually we have never been in a pub)

Paul and Ineke

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring

Here is another one in Devon....

Good beer, excellent grub, free wifi, free overnight parking for M/H's in the level car park and the toilets will be left open and accessible all night.:thumb:

The Portsmouth Arms.

Link Removed

I have to declare an interest though, my brother is the landlord, and I happily and regularly drive an 800 mile round trip to drink his ale and eat his grub...:thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Well Jim, this touches on a comment I made a few days ago. Most adverts are so close to lies on either what the do not say, or in what they do say, it makes me wonder what the Advertising Standards Agency and the Trading Standards Agency does for their money.

Doug...
From personal experience.

Trading Standards investigate after receiving complaints and on their own initiative - but, obviously, resources are limited so the latter will tend to concentrate on cases where the most public good can potentially be achieved.

The ASA (AFAIK) investigate after receiving complaints. I've contacted them a couple of times in the past with positive results and the companies concerned having had action taken against them. So, send them a complaint, Doug, and you will probably find it works.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back