Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Hi again all oldies and newbes,

Finally got membership :thumb: *grrrrrr paypal*

Since I topped my radiator up with water it has decided to throw all the coolent out and temp gauge goes up to 220 degres ( hope that is C and not F))

Should I have use special coolant?

Cheers in advance

Boo

OP
OP
Boo

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Sorry, was having a moment there.....its a 7.4 Vortec Chevy V8.

Boo

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
Since I topped my radiator up with water it has decided to throw all the coolent out and temp gauge goes up to 220 degres ( hope that is C and not F))
Er, first, I think you mean the other way round. 220C and various bits under the bonnet will have melted. 220F is about 104C which agreed is too hot for an engine coolant temperature. Coolant additive won't make too much difference but something is wrong beyond just that. Please let us know what vehicle and engine you have (guessing RV given that then temp gauge is in F.)

OP
OP
Boo

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Er, first, I think you mean the other way round. 220C and various bits under the bonnet will have melted. 220F is about 104C which agreed is too hot for an engine coolant temperature. Coolant additive won't make too much difference but something is wrong beyond just that. Please let us know what vehicle and engine you have (guessing RV given that then temp gauge is in F.)

It is a Winnebago Brave with a 7.4 Vortec Chevy engine

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If you removed the cap whilst still hot it will boil over because of the pressure drop.

At shutdown, the temperature will go up and the engine will boil over. Engines can have an operating temperature of as high as 265 f / 129c When they are under pressure the coolant will not boil. Release the pressure and they boil over.

You need to check a few things. Replace the radiator cap and see if that helps. It may not be holding the pressure. If so, that was probably the problem. If not, replace the thermostat and flush the system.

Other possible causes of overheating are

* a bad fan or an electric fan that does not continue to run at shutdown.

*Loose belt, that is not turning the pump properly,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Hey Boo:thumb:

Hopefully you know not to take the cap off when hot?

Anyway, where does it come out from and at what point ie full temp, just as it hitsfull part way through the warm up?

Ultimatly yes, you should top up with an antifreeze mix at all times, but not doing so wont cause a motor to overheat.

OP
OP
Boo

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Thanks all for your replies,

Looked today and the water level is up to hot even when its cold, I maybe think I might have put too much water in the expansion tank :Doh:

I'll test the rad thermostat tonight in a bowl of boiling water...........cheers all and good to be back :thumb:

Boo

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Aaaah, I think you've just solved your own problem. The expansion tank should have virtually no fluid in it when cold. It is there to take the hot fluid when it has warmed to operating temperature. When the motor cools, the fluid will return to the radiator. Fluid should only be added to the radiator.

There were a number of problems over the years with Honda Pan European ST1100 motorcycles overheating. This was eventually traced to the pipe between the radiator and expansion tank slowly perishing over time, and developing minute holes. These holes didn't allow fluid out, but did allow air in. Over time, as more air was sucked into the radiator, the fluid level dropped, being replaced by an equivalent amount of air.

Eventually this small amount of water rose higher and higher in temperature, and serious overheating started. Top up the rad or expansion tank, and it would soon boil away.

Replacing the tube between expansion tank and top of rad solved the problem. I did this on all of mine, and on BMW's too.

I know this may very well not be your problem, but it's good to be aware of the not so obvious.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i believe most american ford and chevvy engines require a specific coolant but im sure this is just for the special anti-corrosion/lubrication properties.

it shouldnt boil that easily even running on nowt but water.

think back quite a few years.....cars only had antifreeze in winter and usually had that diluted to nowt during the summer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back