Red Arrows Jet crashes at Bournmouth (1 Viewer)

Simba

Free Member
May 17, 2010
Basildon, Essex. UK
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
Since 2009-2013
The aircraft crashed in an open area just outside the village of Throop, near to Bournemouth Airport after the elite RAF aerobatics team had completed a display over the sea front as part of the annual air show.

Only eight of the nine-strong Red Arrows display team landed at Bournemouth Airport after their display for the show went without a hitch.

Onlookers had reported a dazzling display as the RAF Hawk jets painted pictures of love hearts in the sky with trails of pink smoke.

But as the aircraft returned to Bournemouth Airport at around 1.50pm, one of the jets, crashed into an open area outside Throop village.

Reporters from the BBC who were commentating on the air show said they thought it was Red Four that had crashed.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...t-crashes-after-Bournemouth-Air-Festival.html

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Been watching for updates after this story broke but still no news on the pilot.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
what a shame they are fantastic very daring and in my eyes very brave.

Brave? No. Not really.

Skillful, yes. Very!

So skilful that they don't need to be brave.

And not 'daring' either. If they were daring they wouldn't be allowed to fly ! There are 'old' pilots and there are 'bold' pilots, but there are NO 'old, bold pilots' !!

They're just very good at their job and very professional.

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
R.I.P RED 4. Very sad day.

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
A Red Arrow pilot, named as Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging, has been killed after his jet crashed in Bournemouth.*
The Ministry of Defence (MoD) said the 33-year-old was killed when his Hawk aircraft crashed just south of Bournemouth Airport this afternoon.

The MoD confirmed that it was investigating the cause of the accident.*

Group Captain Simon Blake, the Commandant of the RAF's Central Flying School, said Flight Lieutenant Egging was a "gifted aviator" who flew in the "most demanding position" of the formation - on the right hand outside of the diamond.

"A true team player, his good nature and constant smile will be sorely missed by all. In such a close knit team, this tragedy will be keenly felt by his fellow team members, the Reds and all of the engineering and support staff, the Blues," he added.

The display team had taken part in an annual air festival shortly before the crash.

More to follow...

Flight Lieutenant Egging, aged 33 from Rutland, flew the Harrier GR9 before joining the Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team. Jon became interested in flying at an early age, inspired by his airline pilot father who used to take him 'down route', allowing him into the cockpit for take off and landing. Jon is survived by his wife, Emma.
He attended Southam School in Warwickshire gaining A-Levels in Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry. He was a member of 2028 (Southam) Sqn Air Training Corps from age 13. During the sixth form he was awarded a Royal Air Force Flying Scholarship and had his first solo flight in a Cessna 152 flying from Wellesbourne Mountford Aerodrome. Following a gap year spent working in the UK and travelling around Australia, Jon went on to read a BSc in Environmental Science at Southampton University. He joined Southampton University Air Squadron and was awarded a Royal Air Force Bursary in his second year.
Whilst at University Jon completed Elementary Flying Training with the University Air Squadron, flying the Bulldog; he went on to join the Royal Air Force in 2000. Selected for fast jet training Jon flew the Tucano and Hawk before becoming a 'Creamie' Qualified Flying Instructor on the Hawk at Royal Air Force Valley, teaching both students and instructors. Jon went on to serve with IV(AC) Squadron - 'Happy IV' - based at Royal Air Force Cottesmore, flying the Harrier GR9.
During his time on the front line Jon was proud to support coalition ground forces when flying operational missions in Afghanistan. He has also taken part in exercises in the United Kingdom and America. As part of Joint Force Harrier, Jon served with IV(AC) Squadron on HMS Illustrious, flying training missions off the UK coastline. He became the Squadron Qualified Flying Instructor during his last year on 'Happy IV', making the transition to teach on the Harrier Operational Conversion Unit, based at Royal Air Force Wittering, in April 2010.

Defence Secretary, Dr Liam Fox, said:
"It was with great sadness that I heard of the death of Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging whilst performing with the Red Arrows today. He was a gifted aviator who was selected for one of the most demanding flying jobs in the RAF. Joining the Red Arrows was his lifetime ambition and he performed with great skill whilst on the team. My thoughts and prayers are with his wife Emma and his family and friends at this terrible time."

BionicPixie

Free Member
Aug 15, 2009
non
Funster No
MH
Exp
Brave? No. Not really.

Skillful, yes. Very!

So skilful that they don't need to be brave.

And not 'daring' either. If they were daring they wouldn't be allowed to fly ! There are 'old' pilots and there are 'bold' pilots, but there are NO 'old, bold pilots' !!

They're just very good at their job and very professional.

BRAVE ... yes this guy apparently stayed in the aircraft ensuring that it veered away from houses and people that were walking in the vicinity and in so doing saved many lives and as a personal decision knowing the resullt of his actions .... THAT is bravery in my opinion.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and the extended Red Arrow unit which is a large family in its own existence of past, present and future members.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
BRAVE ... yes this guy apparently stayed in the aircraft ensuring that it veered away from houses and people that were walking in the vicinity and in so doing saved many lives and as a personal decision knowing the resullt of his actions .... THAT is bravery in my opinion.

We don't actually know this. It is speculation based on eye witness accounts, he may well have been looking for a field to ditch in where he would have a better chance of survival..

One could ask why he didn't eject .. did he leave it too late, or did it fail to deploy properly ? .. or did he indeed stay with the plane in order to save civilian casualties..

From the pictures I've seen it looked like he was trying to land in the field.. and it all went horribly wrong ..

We may know more after the investigation .. but until then it's all just guess work

Last edited:

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
We don't actually know this. It is speculation based on eye witness accounts, he may well have been looking for a field to ditch in where he would have a better chance of survival..

One could ask why he didn't eject .. did he leave it too late, or did it fail to deploy properly ? .. or did he indeed stay with the plane in order to save civilian casualties..

From the pictures I've seen it looked like he was trying to land in the field.. and it all went horribly wrong ..

We may know more after the investigation .. but until then it's all just guess work

Exactly right, Jim. All pilots are trained to seek flat, unobstructed ground in an emergency situation. That is one without buildings on it!

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I was at the Bournemouth Air Festival yesterday and watched the "Reds" doing another of their great displays, started exactly at 1pm and took 24 minutes. They then left the display area and made their way to Chichester where they did a fly past and then returned to Bournemouth Airport, sadly this is when "Red 4" crahsed for some reason.

His wife Emma was in the crowd watching him perform and was really proud of his display, it must have come as a huge shock to see your husband in the air at 1:24pm and to be told at 1:50pm he had crashed.

The Air Festival Commentators started saying at about 2pm there were "Technical Difficulties" at Bournemouth Airport and a revised display would take place. At about 2:30pm rumours started going around that a "Red" had crashed. by 3:15pm it was confirmed that "Red 4" had crashed and about an hour later the news came in about the sad death of the Pilot.

From that moment the mood at the festival changed.

Many funsters will have seen the "Reds" training at RAF Scampton in Lincolnshire when they used to hold the "Midsummer Show" across the road at the Lincolnshire County Showground.

Over the years the Red Arrows have performed at over 4000 displays and entertained many millions of spectators in that time, it is so sad that someone who has given pleasure to many people had to die in this manner, doing something he loved.

My condolences go to his wife and family.

BionicPixie

Free Member
Aug 15, 2009
non
Funster No
MH
Exp

allegedly he had ejected; but those seats are not the best for low level ejection which is something that all pilots are trained to know.

given that the only person who would know what happened is unable to speak for the actions and events then all of it is 'apparently' , 'allegedly' , 'supposition' , 'circumspect' , 'based on theoretical' , 'based on non-expert eye witness' and all of which when published will have been embelished by a reporter I think that the original comment .... BRAVE yes!

The family have been dignified throughout in their response to press intervention into a bad time in their life when I am sure they would much rather invite the press and media to 'go away' and that also is BRAVE.

again this is my opinion and in response to one comment posted that was "Brave? No not really"

My thoughts and prayers are with them all as the numbness that follows tragedy becomes apparent and the seeking for answers

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I think that the original comment .... BRAVE yes!

No.

Bravery takes time, planning. This was survival instinct all embedded during training.

Right, you've done your last show, Bournmouth is minutes away. You are getting close, will be letting down to about 1000 feet. Speed backed off to about 190 kts. You have Bournemouth in sight, "this is good, I'll finish off with a greaser". "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh shiiiiiiiiiiit it's gone quiet". Now he's in survival mode, he's flying a brick, he's got 15 seconds to live. He's looking for somewhere soft to hit.

So brave under those conditions ? Well you can be a soppy female and say he steered away from houses to save the occupants and their cuddly little puppies or you can be a male realist and say he just went on autopilot to survive knowing all too well hitting a house has limited prospects.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Brave

If you want BRAVE, no B R A V E and I mean

B R A V E

then think of the bomb disposal guys in Afghanistan. Day in, day out they tackle bombs and mines knowing their chances of survival are terrible but they just keep going. That's BRAVE. That's really BRAVE.

Autoquest

Free Member
Oct 13, 2008
Small EU backwater
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
FWIW I think he got a 300mph bird in the face:Sad:

Bravely missing the school is standard beeboid reporing when the have nothing else to say and standard RAF PR

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Brave

This guy was a fighter pilot before he was with the Red Arrows, is it seriously suggested he was not a brave chap. Certainly training plays a part in anything soldiers and airmen do, but the trainer is not sitting on their shoulder giving instructions all the time. These people have to make split second decisions when in danger involving the life of themselves colleagues and others, they do so over and over again.

This chap was a credit to the Country and displayed the values that we ought to admire, one of then is courage, or bravery if you prefer.

Don't tarnish his memory by debating whether he was brave or not.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
A professional pilots view ..

"It is somewhat depressing when after almost every air accident the media claimed the pilot steered his aircraft away from housing. MEDIA PLEASE NOTE, its quite simple, in the event of a forced landing a pilot will look for an open area, that's common sense, the outcome is better in an open area, it's as simple as that, in terms of evacuation by parachute or an ejection seat, again if time permits, there will be consideration, as to where the airframe will end up, but sometimes there is little time to decide, that is generally why we dont fly aerobatics [...] over built up areas, because, in the unlikely event of evacuation we dont want the abandoned airframe to hit dwellings."

"I can only add to the previous comment. In my 'incident', 15 Feb 83 (described in the London Gazette 9 May 83), also in a Hawk, the media said I stayed at the controls to avoid an old peoples home. Nothing was further from my mind even if I had been aware of such in the local area."

and from a professional pilots forum
MEDIA PLEASE NOTE

This is cearly a tragic air accident, and the amateur and media speculation realy does not help.

Anyone from the media take on board what MOD, Air Investigators say, we simply do know what happened, and they have not stated the pilot concerned was a hero, he could have equally been neglegent, we simply do know know what happened. This 'Hero' thing has been generated by some of the less credible newspapers, but sadly the BBC are following this 'hero' story.

It is somewhat depressing when after almost every air accident the media claimed the pilot steered his aircraft away from housing. MEDIA PLEASE NOTE, its quite simple, in the event of a forced landing a pilot will look for an open area, that's common sense, the outcome is better in an open area, it's as simple as that, in terms of evacuation by parachute or an ejection seat, again if time permits, there will be consideration, as to where the airframe will end up, but sometimes there is little time to decide, that is generally why we dont fly aerobatics (NOT ACROBATIC, GYMNASTICS, STUNT FLYING OR TRICK FLYING OR OTHER MEDIA UNEDUCATED TERMS THE MEDIA USE) over built up areas, because, in the unlikely event of evacuation we dont want the abandoned airframe to hit dwellings.

Finally, Military pilots, and civilian pilots, train for all sorts of emergencies, but in reality when faced with an emergency, every situation is unique, there can be a combination of factors, it's a dynamic situation in real time when you need to do the best you can faced with an emergency, based on your training and flying experience.

Finally. no accident happens in isolation, any air accident always contains a number of factors, an no one factor can be attributed in isolation, and all pilots know, it's often 'all but the grace of god there go I'! Even the very best pilots can be victims of an error chain.

Clearly this Pilot was well qualified and experienced, but Let's leave it to the miltary accident investigators, out of respect to the Pilot's partner and family, rather than speculting.

BionicPixie

Free Member
Aug 15, 2009
non
Funster No
MH
Exp
If you want BRAVE, no B R A V E and I mean

B R A V E

then think of the bomb disposal guys in Afghanistan. Day in, day out they tackle bombs and mines knowing their chances of survival are terrible but they just keep going. That's BRAVE. That's really BRAVE.

each and every young person that has signed their allegiance and oath to serve their Queen and her Elected Government and uphold their position throughout the globe; who has been sent into places other than Afghanistan (Bosnia, Kosovo, Rwanda, Iraq, Suez, Aden....) and more places than I can even recall but has seen, polished and framed medals and commendations for can say that they are BRAVE... be they 'Regular' service personnel or 'Reservist' personnel. The horrors that each and any of them have seen has earned them a right to be known as brave! Those that have returned and those that have not .....

in my own opinion having worked with them for a number of years (albiet as a 'lucky' civilian not going to any of the places but sitting with the guys weeping on their return)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back