Portsmouth to Bilbao Ferry - tips please :-) (1 Viewer)

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
Hi

Hello again everyone.

We have been going abroard in our motorhome for years via Ferry or Euro Tunnel to Calais, but this year we're going Portsmouth to Bilbao directly ::bigsmile:

If you have any tips about the ports, what we should or should not take into our cabin, the crossing, etc , it would be great to hear.

Thanks, we leave in a few weeks time :thumb: (not winter so hopefully a calm crossing :ROFLMAO:)

Thanks

N&K

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
We are in the same situation as you, usually do Dover/Calais but are travelling Portsmouth/Bilbao on Oct 02nd. Dont suppose we could be literally in 'the same boat' could we? Will watch the replies with interest.
Geoff.

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
Bilbao

We did the trip about 6 weeks a go. Portsmouth is a nice port, easy to get to and brand new facilites.

The trip is great. We got on board, booked a table in the restaurant and set off to explore the boat. Its bigger than the cross channel boats with plenty of outdoor space which is really nice.

Food is good - a tad expensive but the qualiy makes up for it in the restaurant.

We slept well and kept using our cabin as a base. Take some books and we also took a small kettle to make tea.

Head to the rear lounge and listen to the talk about whales its very interesting.

Arriving in Bilbao is easy and you can jump straight on the motorway or head for a nearby campsite.

A great start to your holiday.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Hi, Friends of ours travelled to Spain via Plymouth to Santander but returned via Bilbao to Portsmouth said they would never use that route again.

Apparently when disembarking the ship to dockside ramps obtuse angle was such that bottoming of either the front of your RV or more likely the rear occurred, ship/dockside staff were having to place railway sleepers to raise the height of vehicles leaving the ship to stop them bottoming.:Sad:

Mick

OP
OP
N

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
We slept well and kept using our cabin as a base. Take some books and we also took a small kettle to make tea.

Head to the rear lounge and listen to the talk about whales its very interesting.

Arriving in Bilbao is easy and you can jump straight on the motorway or head for a nearby campsite.

Thanks ubuntu, We have a travel Kettle, we'll take that. Did you stay at local campsites in Bilbao, can you remember the names?

Thanks

N&K

OP
OP
N

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
Apparently when disembarking the ship to dockside ramps obtuse angle was such that bottoming of either the front of your RV or more likely the rear occurred, ship/dockside staff were having to place railway sleepers to raise the height of vehicles leaving the ship to stop them bottoming.:Sad:
Mick

Thanks Mick, I have heard this before on ferries,the ramps on the Tunnel are ok. We have a Swift 630L and I had air suspension fitted on it last year, so I think I might pump them up for the journey as we have a scooter rack on the back. The rear raises quite a few inches when you pump them up, that should help.

Cheers :thumb:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
snacks, drink making equipment, books, or even portable dvd player, and a continental 2 pin plug to uk adaptor for the kettle, hairdryer etc for on the boat, they do sell them but they are expensive, change of clothes,nightwear etc Dont lock your vehicle with the keyfob so it alarms it you will possilby flatten your battery if the alarm is sensitive to motion lock it with the key direct.

OP
OP
N

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
Thanks Chatter, some top tips there, especially the UK socket :thumb:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi N & K
We have used that route also Santander, you dont say where you are going, we use Aranjues going down Spain and Haro on the way back both easy to find and both take ACSI card, good tips already answered to take on board, we have not had any prob's with the ramps, have a good safe trip and enjoy. Pete :thumb:

OP
OP
N

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
Thanks Peter

ASCI 2011 Card at the ready :thumb:

Cheers

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
Bilbao

Some good points here.

We had no problem with the angles when leaving the ship and we do have a large overhang.

There are a number of sites to pick from, use the ACSI guide and you can't go wrong. We headed west for about 45 minutes and then found a site.

The facilities in Portsmouth are now very good but in Bilbao its very limited at the port.

Enjoy.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We came back on it last Tuesday.

My tips:

1. Avoid Portsmouth to Bilbao and go to Santander instead. The ship to Santander is bigger and better

2. Go for a an expensive cabin with a balcony. It makes the trip a lot nicer.

3. If travelling towards the Med you could try Navarette. We find it better than Harro by some distance. I think its about 120 miles from Santander and about 90 miles from Bilbao.

Enjoy your trip.:thumb:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We took this ferry, very nice it was too!
You need lots of hangover cures!::bigsmile:

The best tip would be to freeze all your food before you leave home. It's the only way it'll be still be cold once you arrive in Bilbao! Remember, the rules won't let you leave your gas and your fridge on!:Sad:

OP
OP
N

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
Thanks for all the great tips.

How early do you have to turn up to catch a ferry that only leaves once every two days, I am used to catching the channel tunnel that leaves every 30 mins?

Also, we are taking our dog on board, Britanny Ferries allow dogs into their dog friendly cabins now, apparently this is a new thing. Has anyone done it?

Thanks.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Thanks for all the great tips.

How early do you have to turn up to catch a ferry that only leaves once every two days, I am used to catching the channel tunnel that leaves every 30 mins?

Also, we are taking our dog on board, Britanny Ferries allow dogs into their dog friendly cabins now, apparently this is a new thing. Has anyone done it?

Thanks.

I think you can turn up when you like.

I think our ferry left at 4pm and we arrived about 12. There were about 15 cars/vans already there.

Personally I like to get there a minimum of 2 hours before departure but some people were rolling up as we were loading.

Not a lot to do at the port so I dont recommend you get there too early.

OP
OP
N

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
Thanks everyone for the replies, I didnt expect so many, and all very useful.

We leave on the trip soon

Cheers

N&K! :helptitanic::clap:

CarolynandMike

Free Member
Nov 21, 2009
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Liberty
Exp
since 2009
Nobody has suggested taking a wash-bag and any medication if needed - or is that too obvious?

We stayed at an ACSI campsite in Islares - to the west of Bilbao but are thinking about trying Camping Sopelana if we want to go into Bilbao again as its nearer. Don't just past through Bilbao - the Guggenheim is not to be missed. Another campsite we used was north of Pamplona - again in the ACSI book - and nearer to Bilbao than Haro (which we also stayed at).

OP
OP
N

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
Just to add to this thread, we have bought some sea sickness tablets after I looked at todays shipping forecast:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/coast_and_sea/shipping_forecast/#area-17

Biscay
Gale warning issued 26 August 03:36 UTC

Gale now ceased but westerly gale force 8 expected soon

Wind West or northwest 5 to 7, increasing gale 8 at times.
Sea State Rough or very rough, occasionally moderate.
Weather Thundery showers.
Visibility Moderate or good.

we have decided to take the back rest cushions off our seat and pad in our mobile (beer) fridge so if there is a lot of boat swell it wont roll around and damage internal wood/walls.

gypsyrose

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Mid Glamorgan
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years plus
Anyone know of anywhere to wild park near Bilbao after arrival? We will be heading in the direction of Zaragoza and would prefer not to drive far in the dark. We are on ferry Portsmouth to Bilbao on 14 Oct, not long now! ::bigsmile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Anyone know of anywhere to wild park near Bilbao after arrival? We will be heading in the direction of Zaragoza and would prefer not to drive far in the dark. We are on ferry Portsmouth to Bilbao on 14 Oct, not long now! ::bigsmile:

sorry, can't advise but this site my have something

Link Removed

it shows one at Bilbao

Link Removed

gypsyrose

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Mid Glamorgan
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years plus
Thank you....area in Bilbao is 15 euros though! Will check through any other places near Bilbao, it's a good website.
All those taking dogs onboard...don't forget the doggy food, a knife to get it out of the can and plate for them! I also take comfortable bedding for the kennel as it can be cold laying on the floor (no, I haven't tried it!) :roflmto:
Cups/mugs to drink the coffee you make if your cabin hasn't got these facilities, a spoon and oh, yes, the coffee. Reading material too....

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thank you....area in Bilbao is 15 euros though! Will check through any other places near Bilbao, it's a good website.

Yes.. it is a good website..

Spain is clamping down on free campers.. so personally I would rather pay e15 than risk being moved on by plod .. and it's right next to the A-8

your choice.. enjoy your trip :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back