Scotland Touring - Any Recommendations please? (1 Viewer)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Evening all,

In a few days time, we'll be hitting the road north from our home in South Lincolnshire, heading for Scotland via East Yorks.
Are there any recommended places to stop over, where there is a beautiful view, or things to see and do in a large MH, that would be considered safe spots, or any nice CLs, CSs?

We'd really like to have a go at proper wild camping, and would appreciate some pointers, as to destinations and/or coordinates, from those more experienced at doing this type of tour.
We might take in the Braemar Highland Gathering, or the RAF Leuchars Air show, or a ferry across to the Western Isles, but whatever we do, we'll be trying to find good weather. That may mean crossing to the west first, and coming back down the east, or vice versa.

Any help would be appreciated thanks. :thumb:

Cheers for now,

Jock & Rita.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I would highly recommend the outer hebrides we did this 2 years past in April and one of the best tours/holidays we have ever had seen wild life from Dolphins to Golden Eagles and loads of place to wild camp and they have even started to open some cl style places for a few pounds a night.

Gerry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Hi Jock & Rita,

Not exactly wild camping but it feels like it. The drive over the hills and down to Eilean Donan Castle, on the A87 before Kyle of Lochalsh on Loch Aish is really splendid.

Just after the castle over the bridge there is a small "Campsite" on the Loch shore. It is actually just a field on the loch shore, there is a very basic toilet shower block and the farmer who owns it comes round in the evening and collects £10... There are also a few EHU at the bottom of the field on the loch shore which when we were there last year cost £1 for 24 hours.

You can look over the loch and to the right you have a great view of Eilean Donan Castle to the East and Skye and the Cuillins to the west. . In the morning you can see seals swimming if you get lucky.:Smile:

Link Removed

You can walk from the field along the loch side and back across the bridge into Dornie (15 mins max) where there are a couple of nice pubs including the Clachan Bar.

And you are only 10 miles approx from Kyle of Lochalsh and the bridge over to Skye.... and also Plockton just a few miles to the North on Loch Carron is also a lovely village.
We love it there.....:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Have a great time......

Callum

Last edited:
OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Many thanks for the replies so far.

We'll go through them in more detail later today.

Oi stop giving away my secret hideaways
Don't blame Brian for helping. Blame us instead for asking. :winky: And if you've got any more wee gems like that, we'd love you to share them with us Norman & Sue, publicly or otherwise. :winky: :thumb:

I (Jock) have personally been to some of the touristy areas back in the late 80s and early 90s, with a couple of minibus loads of American and Canadian tourists, but that's totally different to touring in a MH, hence the request for info and help from experienced fellow MH'ers. Keep the tips coming please, it's all appreciated. :thumb:

Cheers for now,

Jock & Rita.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
'morning Jock

never done much wilding but while on holiday last year in Scotland we stopped at Balloch for a break.

This car park is right on the banks beside the Maid of the Loch pier with sandy beach. There were three vans parked up that looked like they were overnighting .. No signs to say otherwise.

Large car park, plenty of space for turning, public toilets and water.. can't vouch for it's safety but it's worth a look.. you could ask at the pier office .

GPS 56.007143,-4.589169

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=207590977793691629247.00045c1ab0c50bf957c9d&msa=0&ll=56.006924,-4.588981&spn=0.006178,0.013776

Next up.. recommended by another.. looks good on street view.. no other info.

Shieldaig

GPS: 57.5219 -5.6514

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=207590977793691629247.00045c1ab0c50bf957c9d&msa=0&ll=57.525456,-5.648088&spn=0.023734,0.055103

safe and happy travels

jim

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Glen Brittle, Isle of Skye

One of my most favourite sites Jock, on the Isle of Sky .. about 8mls of narrow road with passing places.. shop on site with basics. If you like wild, you will love this site .

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Glenbrittle,+Isle+Of+Skye&hl=en&ll=57.202097,-6.285274&spn=0.005928,0.013776&sll=52.024664,1.413001&sspn=0.05387,0.110207&vpsrc=6&t=h&z=16

Glenbrittle
Carbost
Isle Of Skye
IV47 8TA

01478 640404

open> all year
description>

"Probably one of the most idyllic settings for a campsite being on the shore of Loch Brittle and at the base of the Black Cuillins.

Glenbrittle campsite is situated on the West coast of the Isle of Skye, immediately to the South-west of the Cuillins which provide some of the finest rock climbing in Britain and extremely spectacular scenery.

Our site has an undoubted following from devotees of "The natural site" set in an environment which is as near to wild camping as possible yet with amenities at hand.

The site has pitches in natural pockets spread liberally around the fields and on the edge of the shore. A shower and toilet block is within easy walking distance of all pitches, and access for off loading of camping equipment from vehicles is available"

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Many thanks for the replies so far.

We'll go through them in more detail later today.

Don't blame Brian for helping. Blame us instead for asking. :winky: And if you've got any more wee gems like that, we'd love you to share them with us Norman & Sue, publicly or otherwise. :winky: :thumb:

I (Jock) have personally been to some of the touristy areas back in the late 80s and early 90s, with a couple of minibus loads of American and Canadian tourists, but that's totally different to touring in a MH, hence the request for info and help from experienced fellow MH'ers. Keep the tips coming please, it's all appreciated. :thumb:

Cheers for now,

Jock & Rita.

Jock I am only joking and Wildman knows this. Hope you have a good holiday! If you are in Moray a lovely little gem for off site stays is "New Aberdour Beach" bit of a steep and narrow road down but a lovely setting. Look at my avatar it was taken at the beach. There are no facilities but for a two night stop over it is great.
Suggest avoid Friday and Saturday nights it can be a bit busy.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=new..._esc=&safe=on&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl

I have not tried pasting links before so I hope this works.

Norman

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Scotland is a fantastic place to wild camp, on the Isle of Skye, there so many places from Armadale in the south on A851, at the village hall theres toilets and a fresh water tap, Broadford the middle of the island theres a co-op for supplies, a garage that let you use the tap for water and across the road toilets, on the way to Elgol at the head of Loch Slappin we parked up, and stayed a couple of days, watching for hours, the otters going up and down the river.
Along the road from Glendaruel to Tignabrauich the A8003 sleepyspot overlooking The Kyles of Bute all the way down the Ayrshire coast, also looking down towards Isle of Arran, seeing the mountains (The fallen warrior). The campsite at Glen Brittle, fantastic, park right on the waters edge, dont use chemicals in toilet though.
Theres so, so many places, best campsite, at Fort William, along the glen among the foot hills of Ben Nevis, any more sleepyspots PM me, have fun :thumb:

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
If you are in Moray a lovely little gem for off site stays is "New Aberdour Beach" bit of a steep and narrow road down but a lovely setting. Look at my avatar it was taken at the beach. There are no facilities but for a two night stop over it is great.
Suggest avoid Friday and Saturday nights it can be a bit busy.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=new..._esc=&safe=on&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl

I have not tried pasting links before so I hope this works.

Norman
Hi Norman,

is this the place you mean? http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=57....461&sspn=0.011939,0.032015&num=1&vpsrc=0&z=18
In street view it looks ideal.

Cheers for now,

Jock.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Not sure if I'm allowed to say it on here but there is another forum at www.wildcamping.co.uk where (if you subscribe) you can download wild camping locations as poi files for satnav or google earth. Expect i'll be banned now but hope this helps.
Geoff.
P.S. By the way the craic is not nearly as good on the other site as it is on here.

Now look ere EthnGeoff, you had me going with your avatar :Doh: I saw this bug on my screen, went to brush it off and it was behind. Suddenly thought " Iv'e got a bloody virus"
quickly switched off and restarted PC then realised , wot a dipstick :Doh:
Iv'e been had :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
To all that replied so far,

All recommendations have been copied and pasted on a word document, and will be printed off before departure. They are all much appreciated.

Any more, with any more please? :Smile:

Regards to all,

Jock & Rita.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Jock,

If you want a stop-off in Yorkshire, we can recommend this CS in Pickering called Mount Terrace.
Link Removed

It's owned by Colin - a really nice guy with an old Hymer which he plans to use for visiting markets (it was being repaired when we were there in May). The site is on an old market garden near the North Yorks steam railway and just a few hundred yards from the centre of Pickering. Enclosed and peaceful - except for occasional the train whistle.

Further north, if you need a stopover south of Glasgow, we use this CS at Abington just off the A74(M)
Link Removed

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Evening all,

In a few days time, we'll be hitting the road north from our home in South Lincolnshire, heading for Scotland via East Yorks.
Are there any recommended places to stop over, where there is a beautiful view, or things to see and do in a large MH, that would be considered safe spots, or any nice CLs, CSs?

We'd really like to have a go at proper wild camping, and would appreciate some pointers, as to destinations and/or coordinates, from those more experienced at doing this type of tour.
We might take in the Braemar Highland Gathering, or the RAF Leuchars Air show, or a ferry across to the Western Isles, but whatever we do, we'll be trying to find good weather. That may mean crossing to the west first, and coming back down the east, or vice versa.

Cheers for now,

Jock & Rita.

Hi Guys....

We're currently in Scotland at the moment...albeit without the RV...:cry:

You have a great time...:thumb: Weather has been great...although set for a change toward the weekend.

I noticed in a few places there's "No Overnight Parking" signs...

Like in Avioc today...

Steve.

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Like in Avioc today...

Steve.
Thanks Steve,

I am struggling to locate an Avioc, and it's not one I've heard of before. Could you confirm the spelling please?
Glad to hear that you are having a good time, and that the weather has been kind to you. :thumb:

Thanks too Phillip. Again, all noted for reference. :thumb: Much appreciated.

Cheers for now,

Jock & Rita.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Now look ere EthnGeoff, you had me going with your avatar :Doh: I saw this bug on my screen, went to brush it off and it was behind. Suddenly thought " Iv'e got a bloody virus"
quickly switched off and restarted PC then realised , wot a dipstick :Doh:
Iv'e been had :ROFLMAO:

Same, same, Larynwin, your not the only 'dipstick', first time I saw this Avatar I had just been trying to swat a couple of small flies that had been flying around my monitor. I stuck my thumb on the screen and couldn't believe it when the bug crawled from under my thumb, I pressed it again a bit harder before I realised what was going on!!:Doh::Doh:

Daisy21

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Oooh, very envious. I spent 5 weeks touring Scotland in 2008 in a small campervan and loved every minute. Didn't do any wild camping but can highly recommend the campsite at Glencoe (CCC I think). Walking distance to the National Trust visitor centre, which is also worth a visit. Chanonry Point is brilliant if you fancy watching dolphins. Stood early one evening on the beach with my dog, watching the dolphins playing and catching fish just metres away (having paid to spend 3hrs on an ex-lifeboat earlier in the day without seeing anything!). Amazing. There is a campsite very close by although I didn't stay there so can't comment. Have a great time :Smile:

Daisy2

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Jock and Rita

Hi there!
We are both new to the MH life, but our very first trip away in our Autoquest 180 was up to the East Neuk of Fife. We did it at the end of March, it was a bit cold, but we had some beautiful days there, I can recommend Sauchope Links site just outside Crail. You will get a fabulous sea view across to the Isle of May in the Firth of Forth, a trip out the little boat to the bird sanctuary there was recommended to us, but we decided against it.
There is plenty room on the Sauchope Links site, (C & CC), the staff are friendly and very helpful, I believe they have pitches suitable for the larger MH's as well.
Crail is within easy walking distance along the coastal path, parking in Crail itself is tricky, but Elie has a lovely pub, the Ship Inn for great meals, also the main street here is very wide, which was ideal for parking and having a cuppa!! :thumb: Crail and Pittemweem harbours are beautiful, and well worth a visit, but not suitable for MH's.
I can also recommend a visit to the Harbour Coffee Shop in Crail, they do coffees, cakes and super lunches and nice little gift shop. You can sit outside if it's dry, lovely views across the sea. The award winning Anstruther Fish Bar is worth a visit as well, sit in or take away, but be prepared to queue during busy times at the weekends. However, we took the bus to Anstruther from Crail, as we weren't sure of parking the MH in Anstruther and were glad we did.
We found the local shopkeepers extremely friendly in this area of Fife, also, you must take a trip up to St. Andrews, there are quite a few large car parks on the front, near to the Golf Course, beautiful beaches and we had no problems parking.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!:thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi MHVirgins

Your trip sounds really good. I noticed your from the SW of scotland just wondering where as im in Dumfries

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Oooh, very envious. I spent 5 weeks touring Scotland in 2008 in a small campervan and loved every minute. Didn't do any wild camping but can highly recommend the campsite at Glencoe (CCC I think). Walking distance to the National Trust visitor centre, which is also worth a visit. Chanonry Point is brilliant if you fancy watching dolphins. Stood early one evening on the beach with my dog, watching the dolphins playing and catching fish just metres away (having paid to spend 3hrs on an ex-lifeboat earlier in the day without seeing anything!). Amazing. There is a campsite very close by although I didn't stay there so can't comment. Have a great time :Smile:

Daisy2

Just past Glencoe going towards Kinlochleven, layby top of the road overlooking Loch Leven (South side) and past Kinlochleven on the North side, massive layby right on the side of the loch.:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Just past Glencoe going towards Kinlochleven, layby top of the road overlooking Loch Leven (South side) and past Kinlochleven on the North side, massive layby right on the side of the loch.:thumb::thumb:
Thanks Ray,

Any chance of identifying them on this map please?
(If unsure, you can choose the exact spot on the map with your arrow cursor, right click on it, a menu scrolls down. Click on "what's this" and the coordinates are entered into the search bar, then copy and paste back on here. :Smile:

Regards,

Jock.

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
56.71361,-5.006204 north side near island

56.696398,-5.080597 south side

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Hi Gerry!

We are just outside Gatehouse of Fleet, although we were in Dumfries today! Unfortunately we had to take the van back for repair work, dented side panel and smashed rear side window unit:cry:
We were up in Ayr last week and a van driver reversed into the side of us whilst waiting to get diesel. He said he forgot he had ladders on the top of his van:Doh:
So we are now without MH until the repair work is done, we'll just need to be patient I suppose, but we should have been away this weekend.
Regards, Bill & Margaret

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Bill

Know that area well and use brighouse bay often, also if your a member of the caravan club try their site at garliston lovely little place. I assume your van is in at dumfries caravan centre just to let you know if your ever looking for stuff for the van try Brian at the caravn site next to the little chef just along from dcc he is much cheaper for parts and toilet stuff. We use him all the time and first impression of him might not be the best(youwill know what i mean if you drive in) but he is excellent.

Might pass you on the road one day :ROFLMAO: hope the van is fixed quick so you can get away in it.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
great views

If you are going west I would recommend the C&CC site at Inverewe, great loch with fantastic sunset, inquisitive seals and very interesting gardens. Also,if you are really brave and your van isn't too big try going over to the Applecross peninsula - lots of wild camping opportunities there but narrow and twisty roads, and the pass is very steep and z bendy... but fun to come down. Wouldn't go up it, go round on the northern road...

Evening all,

Cheers for now,

Jock & Rita.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back