Fitting a 12v Battery Monitor to a C-Tourer (1 Viewer)

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Begun travelling the road in our first van in 2013
I am wanting to fit a Nasa Clipper BM-1 battery monitor to our new C-Tourer van to be able to have a better insight into the 12v in/out goings-on and current battery states. Practical space to mount it is somewhat limited in the cabin sadly, so keeping it simple is proving challenging. The dashboard is out, as is pretty much everywhere in the front cab section. One place where it would work really well for us, however, is above the hab door, to the right of the Truma control panel. My question is, has anyone ever needed to mount something there, and how easy would it be to run a flex back down to the battery locker, which is, rather inconveniently, located on the other side of the vehicle. Does anyone know whether there is a conduit in place that would allow easy routing for the necessary wires to run down from above the hab door? I suspect getting across underneath the floor is manageable due to the double floor aspect, but I need to get the wires down from above the hab door panel first.

I have already temporarily wired it up inside the battery locker to check operational worthiness etc, but it's just not convenient having to go outside to open a locker to read a display meter whilst crouching down, hence why wanting to have it sited inside the habitation area. The display module needs a good 70mm behind it to accommodate the workings and mounting bracket etc (I think there's enough clearance above the hab door, but again, I need to remove one of the existing fitments to double-check that measurement). If it were to need to stay in the locker, then I intended to mount it onto an enclosure for neatness and then mount the enclosure itself inside the battery locker on the internal bench seat panel.

Looking for sage advice and guidance from the Funster Collective please.

Attachments

• Clipper BM1.jpeg
    Clipper BM1.jpeg
    691.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
OP
OP
Sunlovers
Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
I would fit a victron Smartshunt Bluetooth so no need for a display really easy fit.

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/victron-smartshunt-500a.html
Oooh, now that is a different approach for sure .... thanks for showing me that (now wondering what to do with a recently purchased battery monitor :rolleyes: ) That would be so much simpler to install and not have to worry about running cabling around and cutting holes etc. Why didn't you tell me about that device before??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Oooh, now that is a different approach for sure .... thanks for showing me that (now wondering what to do with a recently purchased battery monitor :rolleyes: ) That would be so much simpler to install and not have to worry about running cabling around and cutting holes etc. Why didn't you tell me about that device before??
You should always ask on here before you buy, you will get a load of pros and cons with many set ups then make your decision and buy.

The victron app is excellent you can also use victron smart solar controllers with the app.

Put your BMS on classifieds some people prefer physical read outs.

OP
OP
Sunlovers
Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
You should always ask on here before you buy, you will get a load of pros and cons with many set ups then make your decision and buy.

The victron app is excellent you can also use victron smart solar controllers with the app.

Put your BMS on classifieds some people prefer physical read outs.
Appreciate your help and pointers (y)

OP
OP
Sunlovers
Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
You could send your NASA back is it not faulty 🤭😁
Tee hee, nope, not my style, I have opened the box, and put it in place, but it might just be my choice in the device was a bit hasty. If I do swerve and go the Victron shunt route I will willingly accept taking a hit on the purchase price as part of my "cost of learning".

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back