Armitages and Smart Car fire ..................... (1 Viewer)

Locksmith

Free Member
Aug 14, 2010
Timbucktoo
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1st year
Just an update, I've had a few PM's from members and this prompted me to call my insurers for an update, now 4 months on Armitages have not answered a single question asked by my insurers, Armitages insurers are saying the same that they have not received any answers from Armitages as of yet.
They can't admit liability to 3 people then change there mind Surely!
I have talked with various engineers and they all agree that a car being towed at 50mph with the brakes on to the point where the wheels are still able to turn would result in the drums overheating first because of the way they are constructed, so although the front disc's would have been on also because of the way they are constructed they cool much more effectively. The drums heated to the point that the brake cylinders gave out spraying brake fluid under pressure inside the drums to catch fire then tyres, body etc. Armitages having found the kinked brake line said that was the fault.

Link Removed

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Not nice. You've got to wonder what Armitage's have been plotting in this time, have they been salting away assets to allow a nice easy bankruptcy ? Such things do happen all too often though usually in double glazing.

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Sorry to here you have no result as yet.But on another note how are you doing with your Chris Cox A Frame? :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Locksmith they are burying there heads in the sand :Eeek: By not answering both there own ins and yours they are simply not admitting anything to anyone and as time goes by your own ins will stop bothering and simply you will loose your no claims :Angry::Eeek: on a knock for knock type basis - in other words it will cost them more to pursue the matter than simply write it off :whatthe:
They are working on the principle that no one was hurt so it will/would cost you more to take them to court :whatthe: Your only chance is to keep badgering your ins or find a no win no fee who is prepared to take them on for you :thumb: Other than that camp out side there premise with a big sign and pics warning people about your plight.If you are not on there property and on a public road they nor the police can move you on :thumb:If and when you start to hurt there business that is when they will shell out -either themselves or instruct there ins to start proceedings to pay and get rid of you :thumb: A day will bring attention and the police :ROFLMAO: who will agree you can stay there so long as you are not causing obstruction etc,A couple more days and a call to the papers should have the desired effect :thumb:If you go down this route get a handy cam and start filming when they start threatening you :ROFLMAO:::bigsmile::winky:

terry

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Just an update, I've had a few PM's from members and this prompted me to call my insurers for an update, now 4 months on Armitages have not answered a single question asked by my insurers, Armitages insurers are saying the same that they have not received any answers from Armitages as of yet.
I have talked with various engineers and they all agree that a car being towed at 50mph with the brakes on to the point where the wheels are still able to turn would result in the drums overheating first because of the way they are constructed, so although the front disc's would have been on also because of the way they are constructed they cool much more effectively. The drums heated to the point that the brake cylinders gave out spraying brake fluid under pressure inside the drums to catch fire then tyres, body etc. Armitages having found the kinked brake line said that was the fault.

Link Removed

If their insured refuses to cooperate the only thing yours can do is to issue proceedings against both the insured & their insurer & do it now. Ask your insurer to send an LBA (Letter before Action) giving them 14 days to respond positively after which they should issue proceedings in the county court

OP
OP
Locksmith

Locksmith

Free Member
Aug 14, 2010
Timbucktoo
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1st year
Sorry to here you have no result as yet.But on another note how are you doing with your Chris Cox A Frame? :Smile:

Hi there, the Chris Cox A frame has been fantastic. I have towed the smart toad more than 2000 miles been to Scotland, South Wales, North Wales and the Lake district. My Daughter was married at the weekend so I towed the smart car to the church the night before behind my VW Kombi, so after the ceremony Mandy and I had our own transport waiting and the Bride and Groom travelled the 10 miles to the reception in the Roller followed by us in our smart....:thumb:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that

Link Removed

Issue a county Court summons, but only if you are 100% percent sure of your case.

I have issued several CCS over the years and never lost one, what usually happens is like you the company/person does not respond. Then as soon as they get the summons they get their solicitor to call you and try to talk you down of your price. but I have never agree to that if my claim is good, its good enough to go to court.

Good luck.

Doug...

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
catch up with them at one of the shows and put off prospected buyers by saying i had one of those fitted and on my way home this happened.

still it could have been worse you could have lost the motorhome as well.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Why don't we all take turns and phone up Armitages over the next couple of weeks and make an enquiry about purchasing one of their A-frames.

We can listen to their sales pitch, and ask they them the reasons why we should trust them and buy from them?

Then as an aside at the end of the call we can ask them how they resolved the recent issue of their A-frame which caused a fire and burnt a Smart car out.

Be interesting to see how they respond.

Once they have had a few hundred calls from Funsters, they may realise the error of their ways in their behaviour and treatment of Locksmith.......

Callum

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
You may well find that they have been 'gagged' by their insurance company, however I would suggest you contact Trading Standards for a start and possibly the Health and Safety people.

That should stir the pot somewhat!

Peter

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I think that was what Terry was inciting .....
Whoa THIN ICE :ROFLMAO:given the recent news:ROFLMAO: My suggestion was to cause them as much grief as possible :thumb:::bigsmile: be it via courts or showing up at there works / shows with a banner or 3 :ROFLMAO: I for one would never recommend them (ARMATIDGES) no matter how good there product JUST FOR THE APPALLING WAY they have treated Locksmith :thumb:
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY CONTACTS with any sort of press ? or we could start a internet campaign on Locksmith's behalf :thumb: sort of name and shame,that way it may well get noticed by the news :thumb:It is my understanding he has over riding priority's at this time.
terry

OP
OP
Locksmith

Locksmith

Free Member
Aug 14, 2010
Timbucktoo
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1st year
Issue a county Court summons, but only if you are 100% percent sure of your case.

I have issued several CCS over the years and never lost one, what usually happens is like you the company/person does not respond. Then as soon as they get the summons they get their solicitor to call you and try to talk you down of your price. but I have never agree to that if my claim is good, its good enough to go to court.

Good luck.

Doug...
I think what you suggest has got to be the next step.....:Angry:

OP
OP
Locksmith

Locksmith

Free Member
Aug 14, 2010
Timbucktoo
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1st year
Other vehicle insurance

I have recently renewed the insurance on my Locksmith van, the insurance company asked if everything is the same as last year, I said "yes" .... today a letter has come to say the insurers want more money because I had vehicle fire claim. I was told that because the Smart car fire was being claimed from Armitages public liability and I have protected no claims and it would not effect my insurance, also as this is an on going claim against Armitages you wouldn't think that it would effect my other insurances yet, well it clearly does. Time to get heavy with Armitages and get them to court, because of their mistake I'm out of pocket again and still paying for it.
:Angry:

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
Once it is settled in your favour an then counted as a no-fault claim, it should not count against you and any extra premium refunded. Thats what happened when I had a claim outstanding at renewal time. Although your NCB is intact through having it protected, your basic premium is loaded because of the claim and then your NCB deducted from this higher base figure.

OP
OP
Locksmith

Locksmith

Free Member
Aug 14, 2010
Timbucktoo
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1st year
Chascass wrote: ‹ Select › ‹ Expand ›
I wonder if it's worth having protected no claims discount protection because all they do is put the premiums up, we have no way of knowing if it's because of a no fault claim or the new premium rates

Good luck

Charlie

My thoughts also, the premium had already jumped £75 from last year and they said all insurances had increased... now this!

What is protected no claims? it protects the insurance you are claiming from but because you have had a claim and have to declare this, they take it from your other un-related insurances! Protected or not.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
I have recently renewed the insurance on my Locksmith van, the insurance company asked if everything is the same as last year, I said "yes" .... today a letter has come to say the insurers want more money because I had vehicle fire claim. I was told that because the Smart car fire was being claimed from Armitages public liability and I have protected no claims and it would not effect my insurance, also as this is an on going claim against Armitages you wouldn't think that it would effect my other insurances yet, well it clearly does. Time to get heavy with Armitages and get them to court, because of their mistake I'm out of pocket again and still paying for it.
:Angry:

My previous insurers tried that on with me after a hit & run & I pointed out that protecting my NCB is was just that & any raise in premium was in fact breaching that term. They eventually agreed but at renewal I changed insurer anyway. Also a vehicle fire is hardly your fault

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back