Uk rules for lying down while on the road (1 Viewer)

Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
When driving down to Spain I drive and the missus will have a kip in the back...then I'll kip and she'll drive...when we're both knackered we'll pull over and kip for a solid 6hrs then do it all over again ..not legal ..but needs must and safer than driving tired .

Gota do what ya Gota do ....

Some sort of quick recliner seat could flip you upright in seconds if needed .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
We’re looking into a motor home if my health improves but currently I’m unable to sit for longer than 5 minutes. Is there any loophole where you can lie in a bed but belted maybe while the motor home is on the road? We’re in England so mainly Uk rules but if my health allows we would eventually be looking to travel further
You probably need to contact Motability my father like many people have had vehicles modified so they can drive where they would not be able to with a standard vehicle. If any one has just jumped in my fathers car and tried to drive it would probably have crashed due to the minute steering inputs.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
No not legal. You need to be in forward facing seat with seat belts.
Not true.

You can travel in a rear facing seat, with a seatbelt.

That said, I’ve seen many passengers exit land rovers with side seats, unbelted. Passengers in self builds, old trucks and all sorts of vehicles on ferries docking on the continent.

Deleted User
Rear ward facing seat are actually safer (belted passengers) in the event of a vehicular head on impact, which is why the airline cabin crew are seated this way!

There is little doubt that seat belt wearing saves lives, and having a kip in a moho bed on the move is great (I am sure) until it all goes wrong😱

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
That said, I’ve seen many passengers exit land rovers with side seats, unbelted. Passengers in self builds, old trucks and all sorts of vehicles on ferries docking on the continent.
Rear seatbelts only became compulsory in vehicles built from 1989 onwards
Seat belts in the very back became compulsory many years later.
(I had a 1994 Landrover, no seatbelts on the side seats at the back)

Any Landrover built this century would have belts on the rear seats.
From memory on the the last few years of Defender production the rear seats were not sideways facing, but folded out to be front facing.

My brother has a 1966 Landy, it has no seatbelts as standard, he has fitted belts to the front two seats, but the rest have nothing.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
They are still in operation (or at least were pre-pandemic)
https://www.across.org.uk/our-jumbulance/
Hi Brains.
Thats the people. Being up in the cab,you could make out shapes of people lying down on a proper bed type fitment. Anyone wanting to visit the Lourdes area,there is a super site within striking distance Camping Pyrenees.Park Natura Near Lac D'Estaing ? While we are on here.Was a super site in/on/adjacent to Knock Shrine On there when the All Ireland mo/ho Rally was on. great music and dancing in a hall across from the site,walking the dog around,bumped into a party goer and said it sounded good and was invited to come over with jennifer. Said i was in a caravan, his answer was... "..So,is that all thats stopping you ?....... Come on over."..
Tea Bag.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Hi Tea Bag

Back in the 80's I used to live in Lewisham (A2) the Jumbulances used to come through in pairs every Monday morning on their way to Lourdes I was on my way to work, and then back a few days later when I was on my way home.
I think people used to stay in Lourdes for a week, so they would bring back last weeks lot each time.

I've been to Lourdes many times since the mid 1980's, not for pilgrimage reasons, but for the simple reason it's the deepest you can get into the Pyrenees using public transport.
Multiple mountaineering expeditions have all started from there.

I always recommend Lourdes to anyone that wants to see the commercial side of Christianity, it's a real eye opener.
A religious theme park is about the closest explanation.

Thousands of very ill people each week descend on the town from not only from Europe, but from all over the world.
All in search of a cure from the magical waters.
Many come back, year after year.

The underground Basilica is stunning, Wimberley stadium underground, running masses on the hour every hour in multiple languages.

The streets and streets of shops selling religious tourist tat, I never knew there was a market for 3 foot high plastic Jesus figures that light up with multi coloured lights, or Jesus shaped water bottles, or 6 foot candles that will burn for a year, or rosaries that will say your prayers for you (please select language), and many many more.

An entire town built on the story of a teenage shepherd who claims to have seen the virgin Mary in a vision 150 years ago.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
I've been to Lourdes many times since the mid 1980's,
Hi Brains.
Been twice. Once as we were coming back on bicycles.Down the french coast,over the Pyrenees,cycle along the Spanish side and recrossed back near " Jaca " spain and road some of the " Tour de France " course ( on a Dawes Clansman ) back. Stopping at a Camping site at Argeles Gazost in a tent and calling in from there.
Second time . While down there with a twin axle Gin Palace stopping at " Pyrenees Park Natura " near Lac D'estaing This really is/was a super site if you are a hill walker,just up from the site is the Lac,then there are finger posted walks radiating in all directions from there with Km's and. approx times . Would love to go again to that site,but they say never go back........ We will see,
Tea Bag
PS. Greenwich ? Tunnel Refineries SE 10... loaded Glucose Syrup out of ther a time or two. :cool:

Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
I took the title of this thread literally before reading the OP’s post and others. Funnily yesterday I was lying on the road trying to fix my A Frame tow car. All turned out well, but I still don’t know the UK toad for lying on the road😁

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Just do it discreetly and nobody will see you…..

33D7B432-FADA-4FED-AE1F-79CDD41B3C64.jpeg

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Hi Brains.
Been twice. Once as we were coming back on bicycles.Down the french coast,over the Pyrenees,cycle along the Spanish side and recrossed back near " Jaca " spain and road some of the " Tour de France " course ( on a Dawes Clansman ) back. Stopping at a Camping site at Argeles Gazost in a tent and calling in from there.
Second time . While down there with a twin axle Gin Palace stopping at " Pyrenees Park Natura " near Lac D'estaing This really is/was a super site if you are a hill walker,just up from the site is the Lac,then there are finger posted walks radiating in all directions from there with Km's and. approx times . Would love to go again to that site,but they say never go back........ We will see,
Tea Bag
PS. Greenwich ? Tunnel Refineries SE 10... loaded Glucose Syrup out of ther a time or two. :cool:
Tea Bag
The cycle route I know, as I cycled from Avignon to Bordeaux via the foot of the Pyrenees

I've also camped at Argeles Gazost, as it sits at the foot of 3 valleys, one up to the lake at Lac D'estang, where we then went up into the mountains, one that leads up to Cauterets, which we have used as an exit more than once and the most fabulous is the valley up to Gavarnie, which we have used as both an entry and exit to the mountains on different trips.

When we first went up to Gavarnie, it was 3 of us, we hitched up the road in the milk delivery truck, until the road stopped. In those days donkeys took you the final 5 miles into the village, we walked with massive packs. One of the best waterfalls in southern Europe, a vertical kilometre

1629232408074.png

We then walked from there to Andorra over 3 weeks on the Haute route

I'll be back in the motorhome as soon as we are allowed out to play.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Rear ward facing seat are actually safer (belted passengers) in the event of a vehicular head on impact, which is why the airline cabin crew are seated this way!
I don't fancy the improved chances for cabin crew in a head on impact because they are facing backwards 😏

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I don't fancy the improved chances for cabin crew in a head on impact because they are facing backwards 😏
As an FYI the only survivor of the Lockerby bombing was a stewardess, however she died before she could be got to hospital. But is does seem that rear facing seats in a plane give you marginally better odds.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
buy a van that is old enough to be exempt :unsure:

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
Firstly I'd be claiming off the other persons insurance for causing it & they haven't any opinion they just have to pay for my repairs/injuries. That's why we don't do knock 4 knock.My insurance company would be doing the claiming.

Perhaps I should insure her then?

It wasn't long ago that children under 14 could sit 3 to a double seat when coaches were used for school transport
Unfortunately Gus, the company your or anyone else's insurance company would be claiming against would have a very good case for rejecting any element of a personal injury claim on the basis of contributory negligence. And by in effect , breaking the law by not being properly seated, if an accident were the fault of her husband she would not be able to sue him for damages on his policy if she had catastrophic injuries which would require expensive or lifelong care. It is a dodgy risk to take , but up to the choice of the individual I suppose.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I took the title of this thread literally before reading the OP’s post and others. Funnily yesterday I was lying on the road trying to fix my A Frame tow car. All turned out well, but I still don’t know the UK toad for lying on the road😁
Yes ,I thought that as my wife used to lie in the road outside the grand kids house in 🇦🇺 and they would chalk around her.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Longhaul airline crew have bunks... and seat belts
First & Business class have 'lie flat' seat/beds [with belts]

The danger isn't from a head on impact [an extremely unlikely scenario] but from a 'hard' landing ... ie downwards ;) .

slowcoach65

Free Member
Jan 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
A
Rear facing seats in aircraft are much safer - the VC10 had them. However, the loading aspect makes the seats heavier. Also, from a commercial aspect, passengers don't like flying backward as it makes them sick, so it never took off (pun intended) :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back