Uk rules for lying down while on the road (1 Viewer)

motojc

Free Member
Aug 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
just looking
We’re looking into a motor home if my health improves but currently I’m unable to sit for longer than 5 minutes. Is there any loophole where you can lie in a bed but belted maybe while the motor home is on the road? We’re in England so mainly Uk rules but if my health allows we would eventually be looking to travel further

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
No not legal. You need to be in forward facing seat with seat belts.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
My wife just goes to bed if she wants . Is it legal ,I don't think so?
She also sleeps with the seat reclined which isn't recommended,nor legal I believe . Certainly not here in spain. .

From what I've seen of caravans turning to matchwood in a crash if she's lying on the bed and you crash I can't see that ending well

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
From what I've seen of caravans turning to matchwood in a crash if she's lying on the bed and you crash I can't see that ending well
I don't see you being a whole lot better off in the rear wearing a seatbelt in a designated seat . :)

The Gov advice as so often seems to be a bit based on "If" "maybe" "could" to get to what is not actually a cast iron prohibition . I have seen licenced school buses with side ways facing seats fitted with seat belts , passed by DVSA .

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
There used to be " Converted coaches ( To a VERY high standard)" that used to take pilgrims of varying illnesses to Lourdes in the old days,some Bed bound. Perhaps if you can trace the operators of this system,if they are still in business,you will get the rules chapter and verse. best of luck in your quest.
Tea Bag

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Management has traveled thousands of miles whilst laying on the bed, with no belt. With her heated blankets on to help relieve the pain and watching the TV, reading, doing her crosswords or just asleep, is the only way for her.

I do have a camera linked to the SatNav to keep an eye on her.

Is it legal, no. Will she be covered in any accident, doubt it. Chances of being found out, very slim. Do we care, no, it's her choice. :gum:

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
Hi.
There used to be " Converted coaches ( To a VERY high standard)" that used to take pilgrims of varying illnesses to Lourdes in the old days,some Bed bound. Perhaps if you can trace the operators of this system,if they are still in business,you will get the rules chapter and verse. best of luck in your quest.
Tea Bag
Yes, they used to be known as Jumbulances. Blue and white livery, if I remember correctly. My mother made the trip to Austria in one a couple of times from Hertfordshire.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
My wife just goes to bed if she wants . Is it legal ,I don't think so?
She also sleeps with the seat reclined which isn't recommended,nor legal I believe . Certainly not here in spain. .
same with my wife.

I remember back in the day as a small kid I used to sleep on the back parcel shelf of the Zephyr my dad used to have on long journey...OOOOH The good /bad old days. Ive even been in the boot when not enough seats :unsure:

LOL

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I have taken people on such a trip. They were proper Ambulance cots with seatbelts.

At work even the brackets we secure the kit with are now crash tested.

The stretchers are leg and chest harness straps and very very secure. You won’t get the same in a Motorhome bed.

If you can’t sit your options are alas limited.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
We’re looking into a motor home if my health improves but currently I’m unable to sit for longer than 5 minutes. Is there any loophole where you can lie in a bed but belted maybe while the motor home is on the road? We’re in England so mainly Uk rules but if my health allows we would eventually be looking to travel further
As long as you can reach the steering wheel,I suppose it should be ok. :rofl:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The other aspect to consider is the attitude of your insurance company - would your cover be affected in case of an accident resulting in injury?
Firstly I'd be claiming off the other persons insurance for causing it & they haven't any opinion they just have to pay for my repairs/injuries. That's why we don't do knock 4 knock.My insurance company would be doing the claiming.
Perhaps I should insure her then?
I have seen licenced school buses with side ways facing seats fitted with seat belts , passed by DVSA .
It wasn't long ago that children under 14 could sit 3 to a double seat when coaches were used for school transport

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Thank you as well. This may,just may reach someone who might need their services. Its been 10 years since i was a " Serious? ( YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS !! :ROFLMAO: ) Juggernaught jockey ( The insurance killed it ,not age...72) and hadn't seen them for a while then. keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down...Byyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
Tea Bag..( KUMMIN THREW.as was 🚛 )

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Hi.
Tea Bag
They are still in operation (or at least were pre-pandemic)
https://www.across.org.uk/our-jumbulance/

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
While driving through France in the RV a few years ago with both daughters and grandson, they were still in bed behind me, one in the rock and roll sofa the other opposite on the drop down table bed, with these both out the whole off the lounge area is just one very big bed.
We got pulled in to a check point, a gendarme opens the door comes in and sees two 20 year olds smiling at him amidst a jumble of sheets and clothing, he sakes his head, gets off and waves us on. :ROFLMAO:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
There used to be Megabus sleeper coaches travelling by road between London and Scotland, which had flat beds. But it appears the service ended in 2017. Ran for four years, so must have been legal.

<Broken link removed>

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
While driving through France in the RV a few years ago with both daughters and grandson, they were still in bed behind me, one in the rock and roll sofa the other opposite on the drop down table bed, with these both out the whole off the lounge area is just one very big bed.
We got pulled in to a check point, a gendarme opens the door comes in and sees two 20 year olds smiling at him amidst a jumble of sheets and clothing, he sakes his head, gets off and waves us on. :ROFLMAO:
Probably couldn't translate to English ,what he really wanted to say :eek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back