Residency document rejected on Santander (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Just boarded the Galicia at Santander, most cars and vans drove straight through passport control with no checks, we didn't.

I handed my passport with our residency application opened and he gave it me back, I gave it him again and said residencia, he then asked if I was resident in Spain!!
He then gave it a cursory glance and stamped my passport, I remonstrated with him that the document was legal, he insisted that without a photo it meant nothing in Spain and said that we would need the photo card if we came to Spain again, he did negate the stamp though and did not stamp my wife's.

I am not holding my breath waiting for the Portuguese SEF to issue the new cards!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Just boarded the Galicia at Santander, most cars and vans drove straight through passport control with no checks, we didn't.

I handed my passport with our residency application opened and he gave it me back, I gave it him again and said residencia, he then asked if I was resident in Spain!!
He then gave it a cursory glance and stamped my passport, I remonstrated with him that the document was legal, he insisted that without a photo it meant nothing in Spain and said that we would need the photo card if we came to Spain again, he did negate the stamp though and did not stamp my wife's.

I am not holding my breath waiting for the Portuguese SEF to issue the new cards!

Sounds as though they do not know what they are doing - especially with a Brit who has applied for Portugese Residencia, passing through Spain.

Geoff

OP
OP

Deleted User
Sounds as though they do not know what they are doing - especially with a Brit who has applied for Portugese Residencia, passing through Spain.

Geoff

I agree about not knowing but these customs guys in Spain are armed and on show, not that I would get physical but they have a lot of power if you start arguing too much.

BTW I am not applying for residency, I have had that for three years, but applying for a new EU residency card with biometrics, this application was lodged in December 2020 and have heard nothing since.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp

They have been advising us for a while to change. 🤔 Bob.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
he then asked if I was resident in Spain!!
He then gave it a cursory glance and stamped my passport, I remonstrated with him that the document was legal, he insisted that without a photo it meant nothing in Spain
This is what I have been saying from the outset.How does anyone expect different countries to understand documents in another language?This is why the EU invented the Common Withdrawl Act (WA) ID card.

This is why I changed mine to the new TIE in july last year at the 1st opportunity as no way was the French going to accept our green residencia paper that stated clearly on it across the top
" This document in no way confirms the identity of the holder"

"he insisted that without a photo it meant nothing in Spain" as does even the spanish paper one.🤷‍♂️
Card with photo ideal.

OP
OP

Deleted User
This is what I have been saying from the outset.How does anyone expect different countries to understand documents in another language?This is why the EU invented the Common Withdrawl Act (WA) ID card.

This is why I changed mine to the new TIE in july last year at the 1st opportunity as no way was the French going to accept our green residencia paper that stated clearly on it across the top
" This document in no way confirms the identity of the holder"

"he insisted that without a photo it meant nothing in Spain" as does even the spanish paper one.🤷‍♂️
Card with photo ideal.
Yes, and that is what the document says that I applied for in December last year, the earliest that it was possible in Portugal..........and still waiting.......along with many thousands of others.
Even people with the permanent residency card had to apply for the new one and are still waiting.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited by a moderator:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
The customs officer was probably not 100% sure, there have been others stamped that are resident in Spain, wouldn't it be awful if they didn't stamp you back in when you return, 😉 wandering around Europe under the radar. 😁
We crossed using the tunnel a month ago, and they hardly looked at our TIE card, 😉 the dog got more attention than us. 😁
We will see what happens when we return in two weeks time. 😎 Bob.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back