Comfortmatic gearbox (2 Viewers)

Jul 24, 2019
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8096df
Exp
Over 30yrs and still learning
Only been a member a few days, but wanted to add our experience to this old thread.

We have a Rapido 2.3 comfortmatic which we collected new in June 2017.

Driving down through France last November ( at only 18 months old and 19k on the clock ) the clutch went :mad:

It took 12 days for the repair to be completed. Fiat covered all costs, although I have met someone who was less fortunate.

We camped in adjacent premises to the garage and then had 4 nights in a motel that was thankfully dog friendly. Fiat also provided a hire car for 4 nights

Another issue I am having is with the cruise control. Works perfectly on flat, but then get to slight incline and it will repeatedly change gear ( every second ) until I disengage the cc.

The dealer has checked this out 3 times but insists there is no fault.

Sep 26, 2018
Uk Suffolk, Spain Terrazas de la Torre.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick xl
Exp
I’m a newbi
Only been a member a few days, but wanted to add our experience to this old thread.

We have a Rapido 2.3 comfortmatic which we collected new in June 2017.

Driving down through France last November ( at only 18 months old and 19k on the clock ) the clutch went :mad:

It took 12 days for the repair to be completed. Fiat covered all costs, although I have met someone who was less fortunate.

We camped in adjacent premises to the garage and then had 4 nights in a motel that was thankfully dog friendly. Fiat also provided a hire car for 4 nights

Another issue I am having is with the cruise control. Works perfectly on flat, but then get to slight incline and it will repeatedly change gear ( every second ) until I disengage the cc.

We traveled to Spain with cc engaged for most of the journey the comfortmatic gb was brilliant no problem with hills
I also use manual mode a lot especially on tight twisty rds saves a lot of wear & tear on the clutch, I would say you definitely have a fault somewhere based on my experience with this gearbox

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
With my 3 litre I find cruise only works affectively in manual mode or it will keep changing down on the slightest incline
Just tap it across to manual at around cruising speed in 6th then select cruise and only drop a gear if you would yourself

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 24, 2019
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8096df
Exp
With my 3 litre I find cruise only works affectively in manual mode or it will keep changing down on the slightest incline
Just tap it across to manual at around cruising speed in 6th then select cruise and only drop a gear if you would yourself

I have tried that, and you are right it does work. I just feel that the comfortmatic system should cope in auto

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Relatively new and no problems but I was told when stopped in traffic ie lights or jam pop it into neutral and it helps take the stain off the gearbox. Maybe duff info but feels okay.

Jul 24, 2019
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8096df
Exp
Relatively new and no problems but I was told when stopped in traffic ie lights or jam pop it into neutral and it helps take the stain off the gearbox. Maybe duff info but feels okay.

If the stop extends beyond a few seconds I always put gearbox in neutral. I also understand how to treat the comfortmatic with respect. I hope it was down to faulty materials and not the design. My knowledge of French is not very good but the mechanic did show me what looked like an hydraulic cylinder and it seemed he was saying the the fault had been there a while and was just waiting to fail

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013

Exactly the opposite to the problem I have with my 2015 Fiat based Hymer with 3 litre engine. Cruise control deals with normal hills very well as the engine has enough grunt to stay in top. But on steeper hills the Comformatic gearbox refuses to change down at all when in cruise. Instead it just goes slower and slower and when it gets to 10mph below the set speed the cruise just switches off. I get over it by just putting my foot down to force a change down when the speed drops. At the top of the hill I take my foot off and the cruise reverts to working again.

The dealer told me that was the way it was supposed to work too ...................... both can't be right can they?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Exactly the opposite to the problem I have with my 2015 Fiat based Hymer with 3 litre engine. Cruise control deals with normal hills very well as the engine has enough grunt to stay in top. But on steeper hills the Comformatic gearbox refuses to change down at all when in cruise. Instead it just goes slower and slower and when it gets to 10mph below the set speed the cruise just switches off. I get over it by just putting my foot down to force a change down when the speed drops. At the top of the hill I take my foot off and the cruise reverts to working again.
My 2.3 150 Euro 6 is similar, it occasionally changes down to 5th then goes back to 6th still slowing down, I just flick it down a gear or two.
My last van a 2.3 150 Euro 5+ was a lot better but maybe because that was running 500 kg lighter.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
I had a 3 litre manual on an Autotrail Savannah and now have the Comformatic on a 3 litre N + B Arto 5 tonnes MLW. I have only done 5k miles of driving it but am very pleased with it. Mostly use it fully auto but am now starting to use manual more on uphill gradients. Cruise control is very good and only kicks out when you start going uphill. On the Savannah the cruise control was a pig to get to engage.

Based on experiences to date I would certainly choose the auto box again although I'm very disappointed that the 3 litre engine has been discontinued by Fiat.

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Based on experiences to date I would certainly choose the auto box again although I'm very disappointed that the 3 litre engine has been discontinued by Fiat.

I read somewhere that the 180hp version of the 2.3 has better grunt that the 3.0 had when it was new. Bigger wheels and triathlete hamsters or something. I have the 150hp on a Comfortmatic and it pulls a 3500kg moho and a 1600kg trailer, up big hills, no probs.

I only get the gear changing thing described above, at 50mph on an incline. Other than that, very happy with it.

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
I love my comfortmatic gearbox but the last few trips on the A303 to Cornwall I can smell light oil, it smells a bit like WD40 is that my gearbox oil? I haven’t had the gearbox oil levels checked so I am concerned, my mechanic couldn’t find the gearbox dipstick. I try to let the cruise control do the work but reading the threads it looks like I should put my foot down a bit on high hills? I have recently started to put it in neutral if sitting for a while due to a vague memory about taking the load off the engine. I am very happy with it and don’t want to mess it up. Also my 2004 Arto has a switch with a W on it I assumed that was for snow driving which I haven’t done?

knickam

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 5, 2020
Fraserburgh, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
2 years
I can confirm this.
Had one in New Zealand for 5 weeks and was stopped at traffic lights for some time. When we pulled away it went into limp mode and stayed in first gear.
Pulled over and switched off and on and all ok again.
Knocked into neutral at lights after this and no more problems.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I think if tickover is correctly adjusted the clutch should be completely dis-engaged to avoid over heating.
When stopped in traffic mine will roll on the very slightest of slope and needs increase in revs for clutch to bite and start to pull.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
I think you will find that when stationary if the accelerator is completely released the clutch is disengaged.the only thing I find with ours is I have to reverse up a very slight slope to back into our garage and if I had to shunt a couple of times I would be able to smell the clutch. Although a good size garage the lane is a bit narrow. Now turn around before the lane narrows and reverse downhill into it. The thing to remember this is not a true auto but a robotic box with a computer control dual mass flywheel and clutch, as such care should be take when mannovering.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I always put mine in neutral if stopped for more than a few seconds. I thought if you left it in gear it like leaving your foot resting on the clutch pedal in a manual.

Same as that with our Sprinter.

Even in my full auto Shogun it goes into neutral

sarahaston

Free Member
Aug 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 584L
Just checking with members, how they were finding the Comfortmatic gearbox reliablability wise in action. Hear annecdotale tales of woe on other Facebook pages, and it is hard to judge how big a problem it is.
Brought motorhome in 2019 for £68k. Used 3 times. 2020 Covid hit so not used. In June 2021 went to use, “No gears selected” and “See handbook” notice came up. Greys of Warwick diagnosis after changing the relay, found it to be the pump. 10 days after factory warranty expired!! FIAT (“F”ix “I”t “A”gain “T”omorrow!!)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Brought motorhome in 2019 for £68k. Used 3 times. 2020 Covid hit so not used. In June 2021 went to use, “No gears selected” and “See handbook” notice came up. Greys of Warwick diagnosis after changing the relay, found it to be the pump. 10 days after factory warranty expired!! FIAT (“F”ix “I”t “A”gain “T”omorrow!!)
You should still have got them to offer a contribution. The garage shold have asked on your behalf.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
We've been getting random 'gear not available - go to dealer' type message every 1000 miles or so for about 12 months. Levels look fine and the message disappears if I pull over and re-start the engine.

Tenuously related but has anybody ever retro-fitted Hill-Holder? It isn't fitted to my 2011 3.0 Comfortmatic setup but having it on current and previous cars was quite nice, especially given the contortions required to get to the handbrake, especially if the arm rest is down.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
I love my comfortmatic gearbox but the last few trips on the A303 to Cornwall I can smell light oil, it smells a bit like WD40 is that my gearbox oil? I haven’t had the gearbox oil levels checked so I am concerned, my mechanic couldn’t find the gearbox dipstick. I try to let the cruise control do the work but reading the threads it looks like I should put my foot down a bit on high hills? I have recently started to put it in neutral if sitting for a while due to a vague memory about taking the load off the engine. I am very happy with it and don’t want to mess it up. Also my 2004 Arto has a switch with a W on it I assumed that was for snow driving which I haven’t done?

i’d change your mechanic , yours & most cars/van don’t have one , they have fill plug you remove & fill to that level

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We have had quite a few times after driving when we pull up and stop the message "automatic mode not available" turn the ignition off leave it 10 secs and it's fine. Only ever happened in Portugal & Spain never in the UK perhaps its something to do with hotter air temp.
Had diagnostics & latest softwear updates done a couple of years ago it's still done it a couple of times but doesn't cause any problems.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I always put mine in neutral if stopped for more than a few seconds. I thought if you left it in gear it like leaving your foot resting on the clutch pedal in a manual.
I also put mine in neutral at traffic lights.

During the recent heatwave I got caught out. Traffic lights turned green, so I moved the gear selector from neutral to the 1st gear (auto) position. Nothing happened except alarm bonging sounds. I was stuck at the lights with traffic behind. I tried moving the selector 5 or 6 times (getting somewhat panicky) until finally the dash showed 1st gear (manual) and I could move off. After that I could select auto and it worked normally, but I did drive home somewhat apprehensively and avoided selecting neutral for the remainder of the journey. I can only explain this as an effect of the heat. It hasn't happened since.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp

During the recent heatwave I got caught out. Traffic lights turned green, so I moved the gear selector from neutral to the 1st gear (auto) position. Nothing happened except alarm bonging sounds. I was stuck at the lights with traffic behind. I tried moving the selector 5 or 6 times (getting somewhat panicky) until finally the dash showed 1st gear (manual) and I could move off. After that I could select auto and it worked normally, but I did drive home somewhat apprehensively and avoided selecting neutral for the remainder of the journey. I can only explain this as an effect of the heat. It hasn't happened since.
I find if I move the leave too quickly from neutral I get a warning message and it won't select a gear but I put that down to me as its OK if I redo it slowly, difficult when your are in panic mode & takes a few attempts.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
We got the Gears not available message a few weeks ago and got stuck in the Outer Hebrides as no local mechanic would look at it and AA had to recover back to the dealer which arrived back yesterday so hopefully will understand soon what the problem is/was.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It is but nowadays with zero clearance release bearings it's harmless.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

Do you have to depress the brake when selecting gears.

I do on the Sprintshift and if I forget it won’t select gears 🙄
But that’s operator error 😂

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back