Free Member
Aug 5, 2011
Calne
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
is it a viable option to install a table top fridge ,a class energy rating,into a self build for permanant use,using inverter.found one with a power use of 0.38kw per 24 hours.:Smile:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I wouldn't say it was worth the bother to be honest! If you are concerned with the costings of a new fridge, there are plenty of 3 ways on ebay or local paper and the like.

If you have a mains fridge through an inverter, you would have constantly drained batteries, overheated inverters from being run so long etc. Just go 3 way - cheaper and less agro in the long run - a used one can be picked up fairly cheaply!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Power consumption is .38kw at 12v = 31.66ah

Unless you have a large battery bank and a solar array to match .. I'd say no, this will almost flatten an 80ah battery in 24hrs..

Second point, domestic fridges are not as rugged as proper caravan fridges.. so again I'd say no.

A better option is a 12v compressor fridge but again will need to size the battery and solar panel to match the consumption ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

dabber

Free Member
Aug 5, 2011
Calne
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
thanks for the replys will start looking on ebay.:Smile:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hi Dabber...

For what it is worth I have some experience in this matter.

I currently use both a self-build with a compressor fridge and a classic Hymer with a three way fridge.

The huge advantage of a compressor fridge is the ease of fitting it. No vents, drop holes and no gas piping... plus you have an bigger choice of where you place it in your layout and you do not have to be so careful about parking level.

It does however consume a lot of electricity... lots and lots especially in hot weather...

I don't know about the robust nature of domestic fridges (mine is a 12 volt for motorhomes one) but the economics of running compressor v gas is interesting.

Given I never use campsites and am often "off site parking," it is a comparison between the cost of the gas comsumed (at ever increasing cost) and the initial expense of solar panels and controller followed by "free" leccy. A friend worked out that the cost of running a fridge on gas for a year ran into the hundreds of euros.

For me who lives fulltime in my van(s) the compressor fridge wins out in most circumstances but not always... Given the relatively low cost of domestic compressor fridges over the HUGE (and imo rip off price) of "motor home" fridges I would be inclined to try an old one and see how it works for you...

JJ :Cool:

JJ

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Power consumption is .38kw at 12v = 31.66ah

should have gone to specsavers Jim

power use of 0.38kw [HI]per 24 hours[/HI]
about the same as My TV and 2 x 110amp/hr batteries with an 80W solar copes with that ok in my van.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
should have gone to specsavers Jim

power use of 0.38kw [HI]per 24 hours[/HI]
about the same as My TV and 2 x 110amp/hr batteries with an 80W solar copes with that ok in my van.

specsavers WHY ? ?????

I stated that this fridge will use 31.66ah ..

as the OP quoted a 24hr consumption in kw I assumed he and other readers would understand that this was over a 24 hr period.

As you have misunderstood then clearly I was wrong to assume and should have placed 24hrs after the figure.

I then explained that this would almost flatten a 80ah battery in that time period without a solar panel ..

Sorry for confusing you..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
specsavers WHY ? ?????

I stated that this fridge will use 31.66ah ..

as the OP quoted a 24hr consumption in kw I assumed he and other readers would understand that this was over a 24 hr period.

As you have misunderstood then clearly I was wrong to assume and should have placed 24hrs after the figure.

I then explained that this would almost flatten a 80ah battery in that time period without a solar panel ..

Sorry for confusing you..
surely the 0.38kw per 24hrs figure must have been pulled out of a hat !!!

fridge full, half full, empty, how often the door is opened and for how long, ambient room temperature......all have an impact of power consumption.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
surely the 0.38kw per 24hrs figure must have been pulled out of a hat !!!

fridge full, half full, empty, how often the door is opened and for how long, ambient room temperature......all have an impact of power consumption.

No idea John.. I only answered the op's question using his data

power consumption figures are given with most domestic fridges .. and with all caravan fridges, both 3way and compressor models Link Removed and give the test conditions..

I assume they use averages to calculate ...

Perhaps this question should be directed to the OP ?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I see Dometic do a tall two door fridge freezer (Coolmatic RP190), which claims 65w at 12v (about 5.5amps) which could possibly be a replacement for my 3 way, should it need replacing in the future.:Smile:

OP
OP
D

dabber

Free Member
Aug 5, 2011
Calne
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
lec table top fridge 48ltrcapacity Aenergy rating 139kwh/year energy consumption=0.38kw per 24hours.new to all this just wondered if it would work instead of installing a 15 year old 3way from ebay.the figures come from the stats on the site it is being advertised on .the van will be fitted with 2 110amp batterys from the start,then 1 80 watt panel,followed by another 80 watt panel when money allows.this is my first self build trying to be self sufficent for a few weeks at a time.lpg gas tank to power the cooker hob and waterheater,if the electric fridge wont work then that will be gas also.thanks for the replys sofar.:Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
lec table top fridge 48ltrcapacity Aenergy rating 139kwh/year energy consumption=0.38kw per 24hours.new to all this just wondered if it would work instead of installing a 15 year old 3way from ebay.the figures come from the stats on the site it is being advertised on .the van will be fitted with 2 110amp batterys from the start,then 1 80 watt panel,followed by another 80 watt panel when money allows.this is my first self build trying to be self sufficent for a few weeks at a time.lpg gas tank to power the cooker hob and waterheater,if the electric fridge wont work then that will be gas also.thanks for the replys sofar.:Smile:

Thanks for the extra info ..

Some years ago I explored a similar idea of using a 230v small chest freezer as a fridge .. have a read of this thread.. and the links, it may give some more food for thought ..

Link Removed

I also explored your idea on another thread.. more food for thought ..

Link Removed

OP
OP
D

dabber

Free Member
Aug 5, 2011
Calne
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
food for thought.will only be looking at a fridge size of maximum 60 ltrs,only two of us.could add another battery or two.like the idea of being as self sufficent as possible,got to be a gas cooker and probably easier to have gas waterheater.lpg tank will be under the van dont know what size yet.:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back