Self-Levelling Issues (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2018
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Buerstner Travel Van
Exp
Not long enough!
I think we've finally decided to take the plunge and get self-levelling fitted to our Travelvan. But what sort, electrical or hydraulic? Which brand? I've read all the existing threads and it seems that hydraulic is the most popular and Doncaster seems to be the place to get it but I'm more than a little perturbed by the numerous reports of E&P rams "dropping". MaVe claim their system has a lock to prevent this. No-one seems to mention the electrical variety which not only appears to be cheaper but presumably is immune to "dropping"; is there a problem with these that I haven't heard about? Most hydraulic systems seem to be in the same ball-park price-wise so how do you choose? What pitfalls should I be looking out for?

Jun 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Bailey 76-4
It's not an issue, it's a safety feature.
If you park up on ground that is not within the parameters that the system considers as safe to deploy on automatic, then you operate the system on manual, which is no big deal.
It's to stop idiots using the automatic on ground that's way out of level. It the passes the onus onto you the operator to use the system IF you consider it safe to do so.
You don't have to do it manually by eye as both the remote and fix control panel have arrows which if lit orange, point to the low side that needs lifting and when the centre dot goes green, you are level.

It become very simple and quick when used a few times in manual mode. (y)
I'd like to think it would work on automatic on a plot like this , unless I'm one of the idiots you speak of !

I've had it working fine on land across the road from my house , and that was on quite a bit of a slope , the times it's done this , you'd think it was very flat and level.
I'm wondering if there is an issue with the sensors in the system

Attachments

• 20210718_103702.jpg
    20210718_103702.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 60
  • 20210718_103634.jpg
    20210718_103634.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 57
Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Mick at SAP told me to learn how to do it in manual mode because their would be times when auto would struggle, having said that so far I've been pitched on grass pitches some of which have been quite uneven and it has worked fine. Who fitted it for you if you don't mind me asking?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Blackadder
Oct 12, 2018
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Buerstner Travel Van
Exp
Not long enough!
I can understand the system crying foul if the the vehicle decides it can't be levelled with the rams at full extension but Ian seems to be saying that he can level it under manual control (no mention of blocks being added). If the jacks have sufficient extension to get it level, I don't understand why it can't do it automatically. If I'd just paid more than 5 grand for a system that is advertised as offering automatic levelling I don't think it's idiotic to expect it to work unless the rams don't touch the ground on full extension - which doesn't seem to be the case here. Surely there's a fault somewhere?

Upvote 0
Jun 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Bailey 76-4
Mick at SAP told me to learn how to do it in manual mode because their would be times when auto would struggle, having said that so far I've been pitched on grass pitches some of which have been quite uneven and it has worked fine. Who fitted it for you if you don't mind me asking?
It was fitted at Newport caravan centre , they had an offer on £5100 fitted , perhaps they're selling a faulty batch which is why it's cheaper 😂
Hopefully E&P will come back with an answer tomorrow

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
unless I'm one of the idiots you speak of !
Not at all, but they are out there and if it all when wrong on a steep slope on auto, then you can guarantee E&P would be slammed for not putting in safeguards.

I do however think that E&P have been over conservative on how much out of level that the auto says no.

Upvote 0
Jun 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Bailey 76-4
Not at all, but they are out there and if it all when wrong on a steep slope on auto, then you can guarantee E&P would be slammed for not putting in safeguards.

I do however think that E&P have been over conservative on how much out of level that the auto says no.
Have you looked at my photos above of the pitch ?
I don't think they could get chipping any more level , and it still doesn't work

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
It was fitted at Newport caravan centre , they had an offer on £5100 fitted , perhaps they're selling a faulty batch which is why it's cheaper 😂

I travelled the 180 odd miles to have ours fitted at SAP due to their excellent reputation.
After the install, the hand over was very thorougher including a detailed examples of using the system and how to reset the system if it locks out and needs a reset.
Our neighbour next door but one had their E&P system fitted locally and although it was fitted and operated correctly, the attention to detail of the install was lacking and his handover was sparse and he was not told how to reset the system is he had problems, so maybe your handover was not as detailed as it could have been as I was made fully aware of the can's and can't does of our E&P system.

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I don't think they could get chipping any more level , and it still doesn't work

Looking at how far your front suspension is extended and the back end is settled, then there must be a reasonable slope would you not say ?

Maybe you do have a problem or the system was not set up correctly by the installer ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Surely not another "faulty batch"? First they won't stay in, now they won't come out - sounds like a hydraulic hokey-pokey :giggle:
Please let us know what E&P say - and what the final solution is ;)

Why would you be interested as E&P is obviously not the system for you going by your digs and comments.

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2019
Worcester (UK)
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
I'm a newbie
Only one system for me. HPC levelling system fitted by AS Air Suspension. A considered purchase but paid for itself on the first trip. No more dirty wet knees climbing under the van, skinned knuckles manoeuvring blocks, burnt out clutch plates climbing those yellow plastic ramps, badly fitting doors and cupboards, fridge not working properly, rolling out of bed and with your front wheels 6" off the ground on pitch quite an anti-theft deterant. Plus.......with the ability to raise just one wheel off the ground making it easy for a wheel change in the event of a puncture or getting stuck on soft ground and needing to put a plank under the wheel. Just pitch up and press a button. Superb!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Our E & P,s are integrated with the VB 4 channel air suspension and levels much lower on auto after dropping all the air, never used auto on our last van that had just the jack's as always found it levelled much higher than using manual leading to a very high entrance step.

Upvote 0
Jun 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Bailey 76-4
Our E & P,s are integrated with the VB 4 channel air suspension and levels much lower on auto after dropping all the air, never used auto on our last van that had just the jack's as always found it levelled much higher than using manual leading to a very high entrance step.
Sounds good , what's a rough price on fitting air suspension?
After the heat of this weekend , I'm thinking about air con as well !

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I’m wondering if the Auto Level position has become corrupted.

You could go into the settings and re set the level position (having first levelled manually to your desired position with a spirit level)

Then try Auto Level again

Upvote 0
Jun 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Bailey 76-4
I’m wondering if the Auto Level position has become corrupted.

You could go into the settings and re set the level position (having first levelled manually to your desired position with a spirit level)

Then try Auto Level again
Thanks , I'll have a look at the manual and see how it's done, they didn't explain that , only told me it was all set , showed me on auto and it worked then , explained that in manual I can lift it 2 wheels at a time , and it's set to pick up the passenger side to aid emptying the tanks .
I guess they didn't explain about resetting it as they thought it was set
Cheers Ian

Upvote 0
Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Only had ours a month and they do need getting used to, I believe reversing up a slope will cause it say slope too steep, or words to that effect, I went back to the manual more than once and now feeling much more confident with them.

Mickey.

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks , I'll have a look at the manual and see how it's done, they didn't explain that , only told me it was all set , showed me on auto and it worked then , explained that in manual I can lift it 2 wheels at a time , and it's set to pick up the passenger side to aid emptying the tanks .
I guess they didn't explain about resetting it as they thought it was set
Cheers Ian

I reset ours to what I wanted as level to get our shower to drain, as the drain pug is at the rear of our shower tray, plus both Yvette and I need to be slightly head up to sleep properly.

Resetting level is just a case of following the sequence of steps set out in the manual, but what I would say is set what you want as level before you follow the manual instructions unless your happy at what a spirit level shows as level.

The reset I was referring to in my previous posts was when you remove the 20 amp fuse near the hydraulic pump for 30 seconds and then replace if the system has locked you out.

Upvote 0

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
There is an adjustment in the sub menus that is not normally accessible by the public this could be set a bit more to suit your needs,
Incidentally the length of a van makes a big difference on this setting.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Blackadder
Oct 12, 2018
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Buerstner Travel Van
Exp
Not long enough!
Was that not a statement of fact or have I read you totally wrong and you gagging for an E&P system. :giggle:
I'd like to say I still have an open mind but sadly I'm just plain undecided. The significant question in my original post was "what pitfalls should I be looking out for?" This applied equally to all systems. Well, a number of them have come to light and those involving the equipment rather than the installer have mostly involved E&P. I suppose that's to be expected as the E&P sample size seems to be bigger but that's no consolation if you're the unlucky one.
After changing far too many front fork oil seals during a lifetime on motorcycles I admit I'm not a big fan of any device that relies on seals and oil so I was hoping lots of people would tell me good things about the TESA system; electricity I understand and trust (and, given an AVO can sometimes make emergency repairs myself). Only one recommendation but it was very positive. Which begs the question, if it works that well, costs a grand less and is easier to fit, why isn't everyone using it? I get the impression that people just don't know it exists thanks to poor marketing by Roadpro? If a dozen funsters all posted that Frank in Burnley (other northern towns are available) had done a fantastic job of installing the TESA and it worked amazingly well, would more funsters go there instead of following the numerous existing (and no doubt justified) recommendations for E&P? Or is there a hidden snag I don't know about - yet?
Whichever system, it's a sizeable investment that I can't afford to get wrong (and add to my mistakes!). Am I any nearer to making a decision? No :giggle:

Upvote 0
Apr 18, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Stanton
Exp
30 years caravan, 3 years MH
I know it's a big ask but does anyone have or know where I can get a secondhand control panel for a 2014 HPC Hydraulic system? The one I have fitted was damaged by an auto electrician.

Upvote 0
Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
I know it's a big ask but does anyone have or know where I can get a secondhand control panel for a 2014 HPC Hydraulic system? The one I have fitted was damaged by an auto electrician.
Have you tried asking Cath and Phil at AS Suspension in Warrington, they may be able to help or point you in the right direction.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Begun travelling the road in our first van in 2013
Well, I am now truly getting torn in different directions with regards to how to best make a decision on this matter for our new van. Having been quoted for the E&P system, which needs to take up locker/garage space as I'm told it won't fit underneath the van thanks to the way Carthago mount their tanks etc, I discover that other C-Tourer owners have had theirs underslung by SAP & Courtside and with no clearance issues arising. Surely if it can fit under their vans, why not ours? Then someone throws in the TESA electric lift system which is not only cheaper, but has the advantage of being able to fold up neatly when retracted ..... sheesh, it's not easy trying to decide what's the best route forward here.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back