Help needed with my sat system, Please (1 Viewer)

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
During a childish tantrum I reset my decoder back to its factory settings. Now I can only load up foreign stations, thousands of them but no UK ones.

I'm in danger of having another tantrum and throwing it out of the window.

I'm getting a 98-99% signal strength from Astra 1 & 2.

I have a Camos Flat Sat Plus with a Camos Black Box Decoder.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Jim

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Thanks Jim.
I haven't seen Astra 2D on the list of available satellites but I shall go out know and have a look. What puzzles me is why Astra 1 & 2 wont give me a UK channel when they always have before.
Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Yes, I appreciate what you say Jim.. i'm no expert just a sat bodger ... or as they say on facts.. I'm out of my comfort zone.. :roflmto:

maybe SatandPC guy will be on to give expert advice

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
are you sure its astra you are getting the signal from ?

your box may be set to astra but could be picking up the hotbird signal.

mine does that quite regular if im not careful with the aim.

you will get signal strength from any available satellite, even if not tuned for it, but it cant interpret the signal.

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
:thumb: call oyster sat tec,,, good guys,,,they will talk you tho it while on phone :thumb:

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Ive realised the signal thing now pappa. I don't have an Astra 2D on my box to scan as suggested by Jim.

As I said I'm receiving channels from all over the world but not one single UK channel.

This is strange because Ive had this set up for over 2 years now and can normally tune in within thirty seconds. Now I cant even load up a UK channel to tune in too. Its driving me nuts.

Jim
:Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ive realised the signal thing now pappa. I don't have an Astra 2D on my box to scan as suggested by Jim.

As I said I'm receiving channels from all over the world but not one single UK channel
This is strange because Ive had this set up for over 2 years now and can normally tune in within thirty seconds. Now I cant even load up a UK channel to tune in too. Its driving me nuts.

Jim
:Doh:
on my Zhenda receiver the menu page astra shows it as Astra
2A/B but i still get all uk channels from Astra 2D.

try one of the other Astra presets.

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
on my Zhenda receiver the menu page astra shows it as Astra
2A/B but i still get all uk channels from Astra 2D.

try one of the other Astra presets.

The only Astra preset is 2 other than 1 and I think its 1D/3A.
Jim
:cry:

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Success, I have just managed to download all of the UK channels from Astra 2. Whether its Astra 2 or 2D I don't know but what I cant figure is that I'm picking them up in the same location that I was before everything went belly up.

Anyhow, we will be able to sit on the campsite next week, soaking wet and watch the telly. :roflmto:

Thanks to those who offered suggestions.

Jim
:Smile:

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Whether its Astra 2 or 2D I don't know

UK TV channels are currently transmitted from 4 satellites: Astra 2a, Astra 2b, Astra 2d and Eurobird 1. (1N will also provide UK TV from mid to late Sept)...all located at 28.2-28.5east.

Astra 2c is in anothor location,and has not UK channels.

On Astra 1 (19 east) the only UK channels are Sky News International and BBC World News.

Most receivers, even though they may list jus a and b, are set to scan the satellites for all available frequencies...so even if 2d is not listed, the receiver will scan 2ds frequencies, as it will get updated frequency tabels from the other satellites to make sure its frequency list is up to date...(NIT or network search does this, and means that receiver with only 50 preset frequencies are updated with all 90plus frequncies used for UK TV)

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
UK TV channels are currently transmitted from 4 satellites: Astra 2a, Astra 2b, Astra 2d and Eurobird 1. (1N will also provide UK TV from mid to late Sept)...all located at 28.2-28.5east.

Astra 2c is in anothor location,and has not UK channels.

On Astra 1 (19 east) the only UK channels are Sky News International and BBC World News.

Most receivers, even though they may list jus a and b, are set to scan the satellites for all available frequencies...so even if 2d is not listed, the receiver will scan 2ds frequencies, as it will get updated frequency tabels from the other satellites to make sure its frequency list is up to date...(NIT or network search does this, and means that receiver with only 50 preset frequencies are updated with all 90plus frequncies used for UK TV)

Thanks, thats really good info. Ive always thought that I was getting my telly from Astra 1 but obviously not.

Ive never scanned on Eurobird but I think I will now just to see what I get.

Ive noticed that now Ive re-scanned on Astra 2 I have a few more channels available to me. For example, Film 4. I have never before received this channel and the same applies to a few more.

Thanks again.
Jim
:thumb:

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
On most receivers I have, and used, scanning just EB1 will also scan for the Astra 2s also and vice versa.

This is beacause the data tables that hold data regarding the "active UK TV frequencies" are on just about every frequency on EB1, A2a, a2b, a2d. So a receiver scanning just one of those satellites may (if network search is selected) scan all frequencies in that table,and thus scan all frequencies on all 4 satellites.

Only some old and cheap receivers dont do this and so you have to manually add frequencies to make sure you get all UK TV frequencies

Film4 has been on satellite for several years....first subscription, and for the last few years its been free to air! Just goes to show that if you have a "non sky or non freesta reciever, a regular rescan of frequencies will populate the channel list with new channels..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back