LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Ermmm. I recall seeing a video sometime ago that windows doesn't actually do a full shutdown if you have fast boot enabled.

It is something between suspend and shutdown.

Just googled to confirm and this may be interesting for you :D

Found that option eventually. Turn off fast start up was greyed out until I noticed towards the top of the menu an option "to change settings that are currently unavailable". I haven't tested the speeds yet.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Ermmm. I recall seeing a video sometime ago that windows doesn't actually do a full shutdown if you have fast boot enabled.

It is something between suspend and shutdown.

Just googled to confirm and this may be interesting for you :D

Just tried that, 30 sec to shut down compared to 5 and 6 min to boot instead of 2.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Hmm I won't be staying on that! 56 seconds to shut down which is no problem but start up was 210 seconds to the log in screen and another 150 seconds until all my taskbar and quick start icons showed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
The start-up \ shutdown times of my Win 10 machines vary (each machine). No idea why however updates are "stored \ retained" in the OS drive and need cleaned out regularly. Up to Gb's of space!
Garmin BaseCamp is another space hungry application as it does not automatically delete previous downloaded map version and you have to do this manually. Up to 10 x Gb's of space.
So if you're using anything less than, say, 256Gb SSD \ HDD it may be getting clogged.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just tried that, 30 sec to shut down compared to 5 and 6 min to boot instead of 2.

Hmm I won't be staying on that! 56 seconds to shut down which is no problem but start up was 210 seconds to the log in screen and another 150 seconds until all my taskbar and quick start icons showed.

I posted about this not as a suggestion for daily use but to clean out the OS if you are having issues. Also to point out that Guigsy was slightly misinformed around "hard off" on windows 10 and I thought this was useful information.

I would strongly suggest that you don't run with this off as windows needs all the help it can get to keep up to speed :p But occasionally doing it to clean out the kernel would probably be helpful.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I posted about this not as a suggestion for daily use but to clean out the OS if you are having issues. Also to point out that Guigsy was slightly misinformed around "hard off" on windows 10 and I thought this was useful information.
When you power off a laptop, it's not completely off until you hold the power button for a long while, or pull the battery. That's different from the 'not really shutdown, fast boot' thing that Windows 10 does, which is just a state in software.

And in my case, it was the drive that had failed (only 3 months old). If the BIOS can't see it, it's probably not an OS issue.

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
Having speed issues with our i5 pc on win10, have read that disabling superfetch can solve lots of issues but honestly have no idea.

Just been quoted for upgrades 240gb SSD and another 4GB memory modules £100 all in, apparently this will have it running better than ever :drunk:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
When you power off a laptop, it's not completely off until you hold the power button for a long while, or pull the battery. That's different from the 'not really shutdown, fast boot' thing that Windows 10 does, which is just a state in software.
No, it's pretty much the same thing.

There are numerous configurations for a laptop for the power button. But the most common defaults are;

close the lid - Sleep - system is still running but in a very low power mode cpu all but stopped, system still stored in memory.
hit the power button - Suspend mode - running system is stored to disk and powered down. Removing the battery will not reset the system.
Hold the power button - system shuts down completely.

on a windows desktop hitting the power button with fast boot enabled does pretty much the same as suspend mode on a laptop except it is logged out first.

Just did a quick google and it appears MS have changed the terminology and I don't have enough time to look into it. But they use sleep and hibernate now. I suspect hibernate is the same as suspend used to be.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It is. And equally useless. Sleep is better in almost all circumstances.
Unless you have a driver issue or memory leak which is what I thought this thread was about :p

I prefer using Linux and having a hard off.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Have you tried using Bluetooth to Linux, Ubuntu 20.04 is a right 'mare to connect.
I was using Mint I found Bluetooth unusable. Managed to get my Bluetooth GPS receiver to connect but it wouldn't work with any of the mapping programs. Bluetooth speaker would connect but no sound. No problems with either in Windows.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Mostly I use the "sleep" power mode instead of shutdown. The other benefit is it stops updates being installed without commanding it.

Booting from shutdown takes soooo long despite (or perhaps because of?) having installed all the latest updates and patches.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I have an all-in-one desktop for home use and a laptop fo use whilst away.
Both run Windows 10 and both boot up from being switched off in seconds.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I find Windows 10 really fast, but I clear my cache & cookies at least once a month, oh & I avoid anything to do with Norton, thats like a virus in its own right.
Boot takes about 4seconds, shutdown is similar, changing pages or opening new pages takes the blink of an eye.
I also switch my router off for an hour or so once in a while & that makes one hell of a difference.

Reactions: GJH

EML

Sep 18, 2018
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
15 years
Not see Win 10 Pc's run this well for years, have Microsoft sorted out a lot of the problems with the latest updates & kept quiet about it?

No, still crap. The only thing that has made a difference over the last few years was SSD drives, which made Windows more-or-less usable.

I'm impressed that you managed 18 months on Linux - I'm almost exclusively Linux on the day job, but it can be hard work if you're not actually a techie, or you need a sysadmin.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I'm impressed that you managed 18 months on Linux - I'm almost exclusively Linux on the day job, but it can be hard work if you're not actually a techie, or you need a sysadmin.
I'm fairly techy main problem I had was drivers and on the Linux forums others with the same problem with the same PC.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
I have a windows install on a separate hard drive. It has literally NOTHING installed except World of Warcraft which I play with family members during school holidays and national holidays. So it gets booted possibly 3 time a year.

Each time it get's booted it takes between 30 minutes to 3 hours to do it's installing/patching and multiple reboots.

It takes twice as long as my fully loaded linux system to boot and more than twice as long to shut down.

On my Linux box, Firefox opens in well under 1 second. On Windows it is closer to 10 seconds. I may have to video this as it is not believable...

I could never go back to windows again. It is just too frustrating.
Mine is eye wateringly fast but it was installed by an expert

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back