May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
Your Opinion Please.
Is SYGIC Truck & Caravan SatNav App on Phone, Worth the payment £84.99 Europe Lifetime license with 3 years of map update?
Is it really avoiding Narrow Roads and Low Bridges??

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
No, it’s useless
I lost ability and all functions on mine, as if I’d never subscribed, Sygic don’t want to know no interest whatsoever in rectifying it.

It was rubbish anyway google maps much better.

AMK

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
gainsborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014
I use the normal SYGIC alongside google maps.

I find them both useful with different abilities, the SYGIC truck seems expensive.

You should also have a trusty AA map on hand as well, keeps you out of trouble.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I've just downloaded RoadLords. It appears to be by the same people that make Sygic. You can also put in your dimensions and weight. The base price is free.

... Not tried it in anger yet.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I use Sygic basic and Google maps. Overall I think google maps is pretty hard to beat, the only area I find a short coming is there is no lane assist which I tend to find useful on continental motorways.
They can both have their moments of letting you down though so you have to be aware, but I guess they all can do that.
The truck version seems expensive

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I use Sygic caravan and find it good. They do deals, you just missed one, where it gets massively reduced in price. That is when I got it. Think about £45 at the time.

OP
OP
Dogsense
May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
I use Sygic caravan and find it good. They do deals, you just missed one, where it gets massively reduced in price. That is when I got it. Think about £45 at the time.
Was it ~ £45 for Lifetime license with 3 years of map update?
Is it avoiding Narrow Streets & Low Bridges?

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
No, terrible app. Especially if you are over 3.5t as it seems to take no notice of weight and size restrictions unless in Truck mode at which point the routing and speed alerts are all incorrect

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We tried the Truck version a few years ago (free trial) and didn't like it so went back to the standard version which we use now but obviously you can't put in sizes etc.

One word of warning, we tried the latest version of the app and hated it so rolled it back to the previous one which is much better.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I use the Sygic RV/Caravan version, works just fine for us.
I like the way that you can plan a route with stops in Google maps and the import it into Sygic using the Sygic Truck Route Sender.
NB. That import only works on android, not iPhone. They don’t point that out

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
We tried the Truck version a few years ago (free trial) and didn't like it so went back to the standard version which we use now but obviously you can't put in sizes etc.

One word of warning, we tried the latest version of the app and hated it so rolled it back to the previous one which is much better.
If you've not got weight/size routing, what's the advantage over using Google Maps or Waze? Just personal preference?

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
Not a fan.Graphics are good and some of the features are useful.However I have found the routing suspect.I still prefer a dedicated sat nav like Tomtom or garmin,as long as you get the appropriate camper versions.These certainly are not 100% perfect but IMO better than the app versions Sygic, co pilot etc.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Not a fan.Graphics are good and some of the features are useful.However I have found the routing suspect.I still prefer a dedicated sat nav like Tomtom or garmin,as long as you get the appropriate camper versions.These certainly are not 100% perfect but IMO better than the app versions Sygic, co pilot etc.
Dedicated units and phone apps likely use the same base maps. There's only a handful of mapping companies and everyone buys from those few (Hint: Garmin and TomTom don't do their own mapping). Phones have more powerful processors, so I doubt the routing algorithms are going to be worse on an app. There's just not a good 'camper satnav' app available... yet.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you've not got weight/size routing, what's the advantage over using Google Maps or Waze? Just personal preference?
We like the way it works over other products, we've had many different types and prefer this one, just as some prefer Garmin, others TomTom.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Update on the RoadLords app... we've just spent a week in Norfolk and the app was not good. Ignoring the fact that it's not very UK centric, so it doesn't know how to announce a-roads...

Fundamentally, the mapping and routing was poor. We obviously spent a lot of time on single track roads, which is kind of unavoidable in north Norfolk. But on several occasions there were easier routes it could have chosen. The main problem was I was twice asked to use a road that was marked as 6'6" maximum width, and on one occasion it sent me towards a road that had obviously been closed for a long time.

(Note that RoadLords are by the same people that make Sygic, so I suspect they'd perform pretty similarly.)

So after getting frustrated several times, I quit the app and switched back to Google Maps. It seems to have a much more realistic estimate of how fast you can go on small single track roads than RoadLords, so it naturally tends to route away from them.

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
I tried Sygic and co-pilot, but found that they both routed me down a road clearly marked as too narrow for our MH. Both ditched and we now use Mistress Google and her inestimable maps, along with a good old paper version as backup.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Paid for the full truck pack then after the trial period it stopped, 3 times now sending emails without any replies🤬

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back