LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just gone back to Win 10 as Linux was driving me nuts not being able to run some programs I needed and driver problems that I couldn't solve.
Went to Linux because Win 10 was driving me nuts being so slow and clunky, and Linux was lighting fast but too many driver problems I stuck it for 18 months.

Anyway because Win 10 had not been booted for a few months it was a nightmare to get the updates installed kept falling over after a few tweaks and two weeks later finally got it up and running. Then did a bit of machine cleaning so all up and running.

Now here is the weird bit, it's booting fairly quickly, shutting down in seconds & running programs lightning fast. Also 'er indoors PC has been a bit of a dog and I was about to reformat it but last week it started to behave itself and is now running really fast without me doing anything to it.

Not see Win 10 Pc's run this well for years, have Microsoft sorted out a lot of the problems with the latest updates & kept quiet about it?

Anyone else noticed a difference with their Win 10 machines?

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
No, my Win10 lappy still takes about 10 minutes to boot up and load all the bloatware.

Recently Microshaft has been sending it patches and updates about twice weekly instead of monthly. A real nuisance because it runs slow while downloading the frequent updates.

What is going on?? Are they trying to annoy us into accepting Win11?

Bring back good old XP.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
No, my Win10 lappy still takes about 10 minutes to boot up and load all the bloatware.
That's what mine was like, now takes about a minute or two to boot & 5 seconds to close down.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have a windows install on a separate hard drive. It has literally NOTHING installed except World of Warcraft which I play with family members during school holidays and national holidays. So it gets booted possibly 3 time a year.

Each time it get's booted it takes between 30 minutes to 3 hours to do it's installing/patching and multiple reboots.

It takes twice as long as my fully loaded linux system to boot and more than twice as long to shut down.

On my Linux box, Firefox opens in well under 1 second. On Windows it is closer to 10 seconds. I may have to video this as it is not believable...

I could never go back to windows again. It is just too frustrating.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I could never go back to windows again. It is just too frustrating.
That's my thoughts on Linux, all the problems I had were well reported on the Linx forums but with no fix just didn't like my machine and some of my hardware.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Mine has always been rapid.
I've always been impressed with Win 10 and that it always seems to fix itself.
Very impressive for MS.
Depends on how many memory-intensive programs, the more you load the slower it get. When mine was running slow it was a bit better after I upped the memory for 4GB to 12GB but I can't explain the latest lighting performance.

Just a thought not only did I upgrade the memory in my PC some time ago but also in the boss's PC, perhaps after the latest updates it's making better use of the available memory.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
My Win 10 improved 2 or 3 months ago without me doing anything, log in menu pops up in 20 secs or so and and taskbar icons load within another 30. Firefox and my home page Symbaloo takes another 30 secs. Odd things like Word will take a while to open initially but when closed again will open quickly, probably because it's buried somewhere. Not looking forward to Win 11, change for the sake of it!

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
I had a very clunky pc and did a reinstall that took all previous upgrades off and reinstalled win10.
Since on my 7 year old Dell laptop runs very well without that .......wait.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
My Win 10 improved 2 or 3 months ago without me doing anything, log in menu pops up in 20 secs or so and and taskbar icons load within another 30. Firefox and my home page Symbaloo takes another 30 secs. Odd things like Word will take a while to open initially but when closed again will open quickly, probably because it's buried somewhere. Not looking forward to Win 11, change for the sake of it!
Nice to know I'm not going mad & imaging things. :LOL:

• Funny
Reactions: f6c

Deleted User
We have a desktop which has run Ubuntu since 2014 and now I'm on 20.04 but it's soooo slooow to boot and increasingly frustrating to run and connect to my phone but I like the programs. We also have a lappy with W10 and it's lightning fast to start and run, like you we have the best of both but I'm not keen on the grip MS has on the laptop. Not sure if I'm ready for W11 yet.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
We have a lot of win 10 Pcs at work, some older some new. This past 2 weeks there have been far more automatic updaes, I remember 3 days in a row on some machines. We out it down to them releasing an update then realising a problem so relasing patches.
Has to be said though we all commented that the older/slower pcs do seem faster now.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Mine is full of accumulated stuff since new, over 110GB of pics and 50GB of music. Much like the loft and the garage it's all stuff I may need one day! There's room for more though. :giggle:

1626512609936.png

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
When mine was running slow it was a bit better after I upped the memory for 4GB to 12GB
I have been running on 16GB for at least 15 years now. 8GB is the bare minimum for windows to run at a reasonable speed.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
That's my thoughts on Linux, all the problems I had were well reported on the Linx forums but with no fix just didn't like my machine and some of my hardware.
That is strange, I have only ever had problems with windows drivers. With Linux I have never had to do a 3rd party driver download in at least 15 years.

Even I was surprised when 8 years ago or so, I did a linux install for Jim on an old laptop. He wanted the label printer connecting to it. I didn't think it would work. But Linux recognised it immediately with no faffing about at all. No drivers disks or driver downloads needed at all.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
That is strange, I have only ever had problems with windows drivers. With Linux I have never had to do a 3rd party driver download in at least 15 years.

Even I was surprised when 8 years ago or so, I did a linux install for Jim on an old laptop. He wanted the label printer connecting to it. I didn't think it would work. But Linux recognised it immediately with no faffing about at all. No drivers disks or driver downloads needed at all.
If I connect a USB keyboard and mouse every so often it has a hissy fit, text highlighting, windows moving all over the screen. can't get drivers to work with my scanner and a few programs I need won't run under an emulator so I've given up.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I'm mainly running Win10 for Office and for gaming. Although the Office excuse is pretty thin as there's lots of emulators for that. And an increasing amount of games on Steam now run in Linux pretty well (should get better with the new Steam Deck handheld).

But I'm also caring less. Just like the browser wars and the phone wars, it's all becoming commodity, they are all the same and it matters less and less.

Deleted User

Have you tried using Bluetooth to Linux, Ubuntu 20.04 is a right 'mare to connect.

Jun 23, 2017
Shipley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T - 588
Exp
Since 2004
I installed W10 to a Samsung SS drive about 2 or 3 years ago with all the data on a 1TB hard drive. Since then start up time of 45/50 seconds hasn't changed despite all the updates since then. Happy with that but if start up became prolonged I would accept the need to reinstall.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
My 8 year old lappy takes 40 sec's or so to be fully up and running, the more modern tower is a little quicker. Its what I am used to so doesn't bother me, maybe if I was used to a 5 sec boot I would be fed up with it.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I run W10 on a 8 year-old Acer laptop, but have a SSD installed recently.

I never shut-down completely - I know some say naughty - but re-start every few days and run CCCleaner, with defrag running automatically every week.

I do not have much stored, so maybe Karl's comment about storage space is relevant.

When I open my computer the W10 and open pages are there instantly.

Geoff

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
A couple of months after upgrading to W10 on my laptop it began to boot up and run glacially slowly. I then began to get warnings that my remaining hard drive space (451GB drive) was very low. Upon investigation it looked as though my temp files and other stuff wasn't being deleted. I put the laptop aside for about a week until I decided to deal with the temp files problem etc. so turned it on and starting doing other things while it booted up. One thing led to another and it was probably 8 or 9 hours before I returned to sort it. To my surprise as soon as I began the investigation it ran very fast and the hard drive had about 316GB spare and has remained so for the past 8 months.
A computery pal suggested that one or more automatic W10 updates or Patches hadn't loaded correctly and so old versions and temp files weren't being deleted, thus filling my hard drive and causing a couple of other anomalies.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Replaced the hard drive on my desktop with a ssd as boot disk. What a difference, boots up in seconds rather than minutes. The hard drive is still there but secondary.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
We have a lot of win 10 Pcs at work, some older some new. This past 2 weeks there have been far more automatic updaes, I remember 3 days in a row on some machines. We out it down to them releasing an update then realising a problem so relasing patches.
Has to be said though we all commented that the older/slower pcs do seem faster now.

I love that Win 10 seems to be self healing

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
My six months old Dell i7 Inspiron 1500 laptop boots up in less than ten seconds. It is by far the fastest machine I have ever owned, and I've owned quite a few!

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I got a swanky desktop PC built for me earlier this year. I needed something reasonably powerful for work to do data analysis. It's been very reliable for the past few months. Fast. No crashes. This is the first desktop PC I've purchased since 1996. I've built every one since. But I bought this one because I need to be able to rely on it as it earns me money.

This morning I got a blue screen. Boots straight to the BIOS as it can't see the main drive. Looks like my £300 NVMe drive that had Windows 10 and my apps on has decided not to play anymore. The storage drive is still fine, so I've not lost any work.... but I can't get to it without an operating system!

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
I got a swanky desktop PC built for me earlier this year. I needed something reasonably powerful for work to do data analysis. It's been very reliable for the past few months. Fast. No crashes. This is the first desktop PC I've purchased since 1996. I've built every one since. But I bought this one because I need to be able to rely on it as it earns me money.

This morning I got a blue screen. Boots straight to the BIOS as it can't see the main drive. Looks like my £300 NVMe drive that had Windows 10 and my apps on has decided not to play anymore. The storage drive is still fine, so I've not lost any work.... but I can't get to it without an operating system!
That's happened twice on my new Dell. I hold down the start button for 20+ seconds and it fixes it! Gawd knows how...

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It's a desktop, so there's no need to force the 'hard off' like you get with a laptop as there's no battery.
Ermmm. I recall seeing a video sometime ago that windows doesn't actually do a full shutdown if you have fast boot enabled.

It is something between suspend and shutdown.

Just googled to confirm and this may be interesting for you :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back