Windbreaks & hardstandings ! (1 Viewer)

mikey70

Free Member
Nov 4, 2017
Funster No
Banging the windbreaks in a hardstanding pitch !

I know ! Who on earth would do that ?
we have 3 small dogs and we have only ever really used grass pitches due mostly summer breaks , nowadays however , we are using the van more often throughout the year and require hardstanding pitches and wondered what people do when having to erect windbreaks and skirt awnings to keep the dogs from escaping on a hardstanding pitch , we never stay in the same place for more than a couple of days so can’t really justify erecting a tent awning , when pitching up we’ve lined the van up where the hardstanding meets the grass ( so we can bang the windbreaks in on the grass area ) and have managed that way but some of the grass areas are very small , if anything at all , leaving a huge space on the other side of the van ! Someone even stuck their car there once ! On our pitch ! Any ideas please anybody ? Thanks

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
Banging the windbreaks in a hardstanding pitch !

I know ! Who on earth would do that ?
we have 3 small dogs and we have only ever really used grass pitches due mostly summer breaks , nowadays however , we are using the van more often throughout the year and require hardstanding pitches and wondered what people do when having to erect windbreaks and skirt awnings to keep the dogs from escaping on a hardstanding pitch , we never stay in the same place for more than a couple of days so can’t really justify erecting a tent awning , when pitching up we’ve lined the van up where the hardstanding meets the grass ( so we can bang the windbreaks in on the grass area ) and have managed that way but some of the grass areas are very small , if anything at all , leaving a huge space on the other side of the van ! Someone even stuck their car there once ! On our pitch ! Any ideas please anybody ? Thanks
Hi. We bought Isabella windbreaks. The photo shows us at Morris Leisure in Ludlow with the old caravan outfit before we bought the Moho. Still use but no photos, yet. Buy yourself a big copper hammer as you have to bash the spikes in and then slide the poles over them. A normal hammer distorts the tubes on the spikes. Mike

windbreak.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
mikey70

mikey70

Free Member
Nov 4, 2017
Funster No
Brilliant thanks , wife on the Isabella website now
Great help
Mike

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
We have steel poles, hardened 3” bolts that slip into the poles for striking and then attack them with a club Hammer...works a treat.

OP
OP
mikey70

mikey70

Free Member
Nov 4, 2017
Funster No
We thought of that but a smallish windbreak enclosure does the trick , my main concern was getting the poles in hard ground

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
Brilliant thanks , wife on the Isabella website now
Great help
Mike
You're welcome. I bought one from the Manchester exhibition on the Isabella stand and got £50 off. If you are planning to go or know someone who is, maybe they can do the same for you at Birmingham next month.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
IMG_1363.JPG
IMG_1364.JPG
I bought these windbreaks in Morocco.
They have steel rebar poles so you can bash them into hardstanding using a club hammer.
They are 6m long and the material is really strong stuff. They stand up to high winds very well
I have two sets for sale and they have only been used a few times before we had to give up the moho life for health reasons.
£25 a set if anybody is interested.

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
I elected to go for these > MegaScrews < utilising a re-chargeable impact driver to drive them in. Used them a few times on hard standing with our Windbreak Leisure awnings with great success.

2017-08-16 12.13.59.jpg

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
View attachment 206904 View attachment 206905 I bought these windbreaks in Morocco.
They have steel rebar poles so you can bash them into hardstanding using a club hammer.
They are 6m long and the material is really strong stuff. They stand up to high winds very well
I have two sets for sale and they have only been used a few times before we had to give up the moho life for health reasons.
£25 a set if anybody is interested.
Does the big ladder come with them?
:giggler::giggler::giggler::giggler::giggler:

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
If you are in the market for windbreaks then I would recommend that you seriously consider 'Windbreak Leisure'. Having looked at several competing wind break manufacturers the deciding factors for me were the quality and robustness of the product, the entry gates, and the capacity to make me a bespoke design in my required size and preferred colour(s).

They're the original manufacturer of this type of windbreak, which has since been attempted to be copied (in my view unsuccessfully) by at least two other notable windbreak manufacturers that lack the original Windbreak Leisure finishing touches!

They are extremely popular within the dog show fraternity for the robust design, quality of manufacture and longevity.

Not the cheapest, but the quality is there long after the price is forgotten!

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We just tie ours on one of those plastic/metal cable wires , around 5 /6 foot long , fixed either to the alloys or screwed into the ground.
Though I suppose 3 would get all tangled up .
And if they’re yappy it won’t stop them seeing what’s what.

Last edited:

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC

That was going to be my suggestion too (y)

I use steel tie out cables, something like this: Amazon product ASIN B01MRW1N3D
One end connects to a nearby tree, shrub, fence post, towing-hook on the van, anything that's not going to move.

Other end connects to the dog :D

You can join a few together to lengthen it, or tie a knot in it to shorten it.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
That was going to be my suggestion too (y)

I use steel tie out cables, something like this: Amazon product ASIN B01MRW1N3D
One end connects to a nearby tree, shrub, fence post, towing-hook on the van, anything that's not going to move.

Other end connects to the dog :D

You can join a few together to lengthen it, or tie a knot in it to shorten it.
We use 2 of these with a fixing that screws into the ground, or sometimes the tow bar, (2dogs). Not yet forgotten to unhitch the dogs before driving away.! I tie them so the ends reach just inside the hab door, so I can tie the dogs on before letting them out first thing in the morning. Generally though, the dogs are only outside if we are. When we are inside, so are the dogs. I adjust the length so that the dogs cannot get off our pitch. A windbreak would be better but it would need 4 sides as the dogs would escape under the van otherwise

Oct 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit selfbui
Exp
I am reading this thread with interest because we're currently on a site in the Peak District where we are unable to get our Jormax windbreak steel tipped poles into the ground, leaving us somewhat exposed to passing dogs (which get barked at, causing frowns from fellow campers). We've previously used it on a slate chip hardstanding, had no idea this could be a problem. My OH likes the drill idea! It's all a learning curve.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I am reading this thread with interest because we're currently on a site in the Peak District where we are unable to get our Jormax windbreak steel tipped poles into the ground, leaving us somewhat exposed to passing dogs (which get barked at, causing frowns from fellow campers). We've previously used it on a slate chip hardstanding, had no idea this could be a problem. My OH likes the drill idea! It's all a learning curve.

The drill works a treat and the Jormax poles are good enough to stay up with only 6 inches or so in the ground.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
We've were on a really windy municipal type site in Spain and the ground was compacted gravel and granite dust, almost as hard as concrete. Saw a dutch guy with a drill making holes for his windbreak poles. Promptly borrowed it and it worked a treat :D

That's what we do as i now use the Peggy Pegs system and on hard ground just use the masonry bit to make a pilot hole. The drill is always charged up and ready to go.

For the dogs i just use the same peg drill into the ground as a tether point.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back