May 4, 2010
Hastings, England
Funster No
MH
Ambulance conversion
Exp
48925702@N08

www.flickr.com/photos/48925702@N08/?saved=1
All that's left of our beloved camper after some lowlife/s nicked it and burnt it out - apparently just for fun.
I don't understand the mentality; I am livid.
The insurance won't cover the cost of a replacement, given its age. All the hours of work that had gone into it, the memories of good/bad times (like the engine catching fire in France on the fist trip, and the kindness of French people). We'd had it resprayed, just finally got it running so sweetly, and should have been off to France in three weeks time.
I still can't believe it; I catch sight of something like a bottle of toilet chemicals or the spare mains hook-up at home and it reminds me and tears well up ...

Last edited:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Sorry to hear of this bad news, some people have no respect for other peoples belongings or how hard they might of worked to get the things they want,

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
What a horrible thing for these "people" to do and how angry you must be :Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
Really sorry for you, unfortunately that seems to be the way of the world these days. Hope you're back on the road soon.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
What a shame. Remember the offer your insurance company gives you is an opening offer, no matter how final they make the offer sound, its a low opening bid. Negotiate it up. Best of luck, I hope you get back on the road soon:thumb:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I'm so sorry. Had the same thing happen with a car years ago in UK. Cannot undersatnd the mentality.

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
Remember the offer your insurance company gives you is an opening offer, no matter how final they make the offer sound, its a low opening bid. Negotiate it up. :thumb:

Search through Autotrader, dealers etc for same model if possible , take photos including price at dealers and send to insurance company. They value they should pay is what it would cost you to replace with a similar vehicle, not the trade price or auction price.

Simba

Free Member
May 17, 2010
Basildon, Essex. UK
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
Since 2009-2013
B*****DS Feel so sorry for you. hope you are back on the road soon. :Angry:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
So sorry for you. It seems to be a culture, they do know right from wrong , but just do not care. There is no respect :Sad:

Norrie

Free Member
Mar 17, 2009
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Horrible horrible horrible. My heart goes out to you.
If we enjoyed real and proper democracy we would have our elected representatives dishing out sentences that these pond-dwellers deserve - rather that what we can afford.
This kind of scum know their 'rights' and couldn't care whether they're caught or not. Either way there is no disincentive and that's very wrong indeed because they just continue down that path.
Change must surely come.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Pauls advice is sound - get all the adverts for vehicles that are similar age and condition to prove that you cannot replace the vehicle for the amount they are offering - you may have to fight a bit, but they will pay up.

If you own an older van, take heed - they are much more desirable and easier to steal due to the lack of security devices. You may not think it is worth tracking or immobilising - but at the end of the day, it is still 10 grand....and you wouldn't leave that in a suitcase in the shed!

Hope it works out for you in the end!:thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I am sorry to hear of your predicament I hope you are lucky with the insurance company.
When you get a new van if you need help to get it sorted give me a shout, I have a bad back but can help with tools facilities and maybe even parts. I do have quite a stock of bits and bobs and can make all sorts free of charge.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back